It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Cervical stenosis

Has anyone had random body pains, and vibrating feelings in foot due to cervical stenosis? I have had this for 4 months (along w muscle twitches) and just found out I have cervical stenosis-compression of my cord.

Would love to hear others experience.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User
Re: Cervical stenosis

Dear K2626

Yes, I have central spine stenosis and have had all sorts of weird problems prior to (and to a lesser extent since) surgery including fingers moving on their own, coldness in the legs and my leg not moving properly when I walk.

I don't have time to write more now but I've been posting here for a long time so research my old posts and I'll check back.

Sunshine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks for your reply. What other odd sensations were you having. Its so odd how these pains just jump around my body> For example this morning my pointer finger had a toothache pulsating type pain for about 3 minutes...then just went away. A few days ago it was my toe.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
(female)

lilydilly HB User

I'm just 4 weeks post op from having a cervical fusion and spur removed at C2 C3, and before having it fixed I had such a range of symptoms, I never knew what each week would bring.
The hardest to deal with for me was a numb dead feeling face, up one side, and then sometimes around my lips, even my tongue would tingle and buzz.
I had the electical feeling in my foot, especially when I touched it to the floor.
Other times I'd get twitches in odd places, toothache pains like you described, one day in my thumb, next day my big toe, next day my buttocks.

The worst pain was always my neck but occasionally I'd get sharp pain right in the top of my skull, and again at the back of my nose.
Ok, I'll stop there, but when something is out of whack at the top of the spine, I think it can affect our whole nervous system.
Hope you find relief
Regards LIly

Old 10-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Wow, thanks so much for sharing. I just went to see another neuro (knew I should not have seen her-saw her when my symptoms first started she did a basic in office test said I was fine-no tests ordered!) for her feedback-she said that the pains were all in my head and that stenosis and protrusion on the cspine would not cause any problems-that it is very common!

To what degree were your cervical issues? Thanks SO much for writing. I was almost in tears when I left her office....

I hope you are recovering okay?

Again thanks so much for sharing, I dont feel so "Crazy" now

Last edited by k2626; 10-21-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I had different things come and go like fingers randomly moving. My MRI was categorized as moderate to severe stenosis.

Sunshine

Old 10-22-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Any random pains in your body like toes, feet?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
(female)

gotparrots HB Usergotparrots HB User

I can't believe a doctor would have told you this was in your imagination. You're now seeing a different doctor, I hope? You are definitely not crazy. The symptoms from spinal stenosis are strange, unpredictable, and sometimes almost indescribable.

Due to lack of insurance, my problem became very serious, threatening paralysis, before I was able to get C-spine fusion surgery (I think it was at C4-5 and C5-6, but am not positive because I had so many problems throughout my C-spine.) I had nerve root compression at several levels and severe spinal cord compression in at least one place. My neck had formed many huge bone spurs and I had several bulging disks and absent disk spaces. So I've probably had every symptom you can imagine.

For months (years, really) I thought I was imagining my symptoms because they were so weird. I still don't know if all were related to spinal stenosis. I got random pains that varied in intensity, type, and location. They were sometimes dull, sometimes sharp, sometimes burning, sometimes like an electrical shock. The pain would "jump" from my finger to my ankle to my hip to my shoulder, etc., and might feel like a different type of pain in each place. This would happen even if I was sitting still or laying down. Just random pains with no cause or predictability.

Sometimes the pain was triggered by activity, but often the activity should not have caused any pain. For example, one day I was cranking up the car window when I got such a sudden severe pain in my hand that I thought I had broken a bone. Often my fingertips felt like I was touching hot coals when I tried to type on my keyboard. The bottoms of my feet also hurt sometimes when walking, and the palms of my hands hurt when resting them on the steering wheel of my car.

I became very clumsy and klutzy, often dropping coffee cups and other things. Doing routine activities such as peeling potatoes caused severe pain and cramping in my hands. It eventually became difficult to hold a pen or pencil or any type of small tool such as a screwdriver. It became very difficult to sign my name and impossible to accomplish any fine motor skills such as using a sewing needle.

I had tics, cramps, and muscle jerks all over my body, but they would move from one place to another, just as others are describing. I also developed hand tremors. Usually my right foot dragged behind me when walking, and one day the foot stayed in the car when I got out and I fell on my face. In the mornings I woke up stiff all over, with my legs feeling like they weighed 200 pounds apiece, and sometimes my arms were totally numb from the elbows down, and it would take a couple of hours to regain enough feeling in my hands that I could dress myself in the mornings.

I had constant, intense right arm pain and often had additional sharp pains in my hands, fingers, and wrists, as well as my hips, knees, calves, ankles, feet, and toes. I got weird headaches and for several months I had severe pain in the left side of my face. For another few months, I lost nearly all control of my right hand and my thumb on that hand hurt all the time (a 10 on a scale of 10) and felt cold.

My knee reflexes became so exaggerated that if a doctor tapped me on the knee with his or her rubber hammer, my knee jerk nearly knocked me off the examining table.

But when all of this first started, I did not have any neck pain. It was mainly in my right shoulder and arm at first, and I mistook it for carpal tunnel syndrome because I worked on a computer all day. Then came the facial pain, neck pain, and the random pains. The spinal stenosis was found by accident, on a CT scan to see what was causing the facial pain.

In the year leading up to my surgery, my symptoms worsened exponentially, to the point that my neck hurt so much I couldn't lay on my back (still can't) and could barely sleep at all. My legs would also ache like crazy all night long, as though I had run a marathon, when I had done nothing at all that day. Climbing stairs was like climbing Mount Everest and going down a staircase was equally hard. I could barely turn my head in any direction, nor move it up and down.

I also developed weakness, especially in my arms. I used to bowl but suddenly I could no longer lift my bowling ball, and the weakness progressed from there. Eventually it became very hard to take a gallon of milk out of the refrigerator or even to hold a cup of coffee. My problems were originally in my right arm and shoulder, and on my right side in general, but both arms and both legs were seriously affected by the time I had surgery.

I even developed problems with incontinence, and this got pretty bad before my surgery.

I would like to report that all my symptoms cleared up since my surgery, but that's not the case. I think the compression lasted for so long that some of the damage has become permanent. I still have neck pain and arm and shoulder pain on the right side. But I do have remarkable improvement. I can type on the keyboard again and sign my name, and turn my head better even though two levels of my neck are fused. So even though my surgery did not relieve all my symptoms, I am very happy I had it done.

I'm two years out from C-spine fusion surgery, and I have a lot fewer random pains but continue to have constant pains in my neck, shoulder, and parts of my right arm, especially when using my computer; i.e., I'm in pain as I write this. I think I also have spinal stenosis in my lumbar spine and am about to get an MRI for it. I have a lot of trouble walking, due to pain that is related to my lower back. But I came so close to paralysis that I am happy I had my neck surgery and happy for anything I am now able to do that I thought I'd never be able to do again.

One of the weirdest symptoms I still get are those strange vibrating sensations that somebody has described. It makes me think my cell phone must be in my pocket, vibrating, when it's not. But when my cell phone is truly in my pocket and somebody calls, I usually cannot feel the vibration that it's making, though I've got it set to vibrate. Go figure.

So don't let anybody convince you you're crazy, if you have C-spine trouble and are experiencing weird pains, tics, cramps, etc.

Last edited by gotparrots; 10-24-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: added information

The following user gives a hug of support to gotparrots:
angel777111 (08-17-2011)
Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Gosh, thanks so much for this. I was literally on the verge of tears when she told me this.

My pains are exactly as you described. When I first got them I thought it was bone cancer or something so I had a full body bone scan but interestly they did not report this problem!

My pains are so random. Here is a typical day: I was driving and my pointer finger got a deep pulsating pain that lasted about 3 minutes. About 4 hrs later, my left side ankle started to get a nerve type pulsating pain that lasted the night. Throughout the day I would get vibrating feelings in my left foot, sometimes a quick buzz buzz, other times it would buzz for hours. My pain typically jumps from any random finger, one of my big toes, top of my entire foot, ankle, sometimes deep spine-never my neck. I also have muscle twitches all over my body, I feel like a popcorn machine at times. Finally, I get a sharp/pulsating eye pain pressure (right eye usually) and a right sided headache often.

The tingling is usually in my left foot and it feels like your foot would when its waking up from falling asleep--this is pretty constant at this point.

My compression is at c4/5 and I have been told by 2 drs it is not the cause of my issues though I have had MANY tests and this is the only "smoking gun>"

One thing is I did have an EMG, and it was clear. If this is nerves from my cspine would there be an off EMG? Also, if my nerves are being touched from this compression would it show on the MRI?

Just so confused now.

I REALLY appreciate your opinion. I have been going nuts thinking I have some horrible disease since meeting with that neuro-either mental or physical!

Last edited by k2626; 10-24-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Hi guys, now my right pointer finger is numb and has been since last night> I am so worried that this is not due to my cspine stenosis as it was only labeled as mild to moderate.

Is it normal to have pains from the c spine jump around to different sides of the body? I get the pains on the right and left. In example my right big toe may hurt for a few minutes and then hours later its my left ankle.

Is this odd?

Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
(male)

punkeymn395 HB User

Yes, sometimes my left hand goes numb, or my left toes, but mostly Ihave constant headaches.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Do you have stenosis in your spine? Mine is noted as only mild to moderate

Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 AM   #13
(male)

punkeymn395 HB User

Yes I have what is called severe cervical stenosis. From c3 to c6.
going to Mayo Nov.7th for a 6 level fusion. Been dealing with this for the last 6 months. the reason I've been waiting so long is it's become a legal issue.
Not sure whats going to become of me, But hopefully most of my pain will go away. (no promisices) Dr. not sure if I'll be able to function as before. We'll see.Also have cord damage, @ one point my cord is shaped like a bannana according to the MRI. lotta damage.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #14
(female)

linda1217 HB User

Hi!

I have just been diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis. There is compression etween C2-C6. It started several months ago with intermittent pain in my upper back. Then came the heat in the right foot which was followed by pins and needles in both hands. I have already seen two neurosurgeons who said I need decompression surgery. However one wants to do spinal fusion and the other suggests a laminaplasty which involves expanding the spinal canal where a hinge is created to increaase room for the spinal cord. I am of course going for a third opinion. May I ask what type of surgery you had?
thank you

Old 10-29-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

My cervicatl stenosis/compession is at 4/5 and is noted as mild to moderate. My big concern is my pains have been everywhere from a random toe, entire foot, opposite ankle, and pains in my hands. I was told that spinal issues really only effect the arm, neck and hand..and only one side. So it concerns me that I have something else going on. I also have buzzing in my left foot, muscle twitches and my finger is still numb-so its been two days!

My primary thinks this is all from my cord-what do you think? I fear its something like MS though my MRI's (brain and full cord) did not show anything.

Can compression of the cod have widespread issues and can the pain jump around from one side to the next?

I have no neck pains though get eye aches and headaches.

Were you guys in accidents or is it just wear and tear that caused this?

Closed Thread