It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

lydia72 HB User
Question small syrinx lots of symptoms

I posted a thread explaining how i learned I had a syrinx. I'm trying to find someone else that only has a syrinx and does not have the Chiari malformation. I'm wondering if anyone else has a small syrinx and has lots of symptoms. I have been suffering from headaches for almost two years now. I always have a mild headache but depending on how active I try to be is how bad my headache becomes. I get burning pain in my neck, shooting pain in my arms and sometimes my legs. Numbness that comes and goes in arms and legs. Burning stabbing pain in my chest and back between my shoulder blades, and I'm always fatigued. I'm using pain medication, but I just don't think it is lasting long enough and that is why I don't get a restfull sleep because I wake up due to pain. I'm wondering what other people have tried that has helped them. If anyone can help.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
(female)

Deanag HB User
Re: small syrinx lots of symptoms

I too have a small syrinx 7mm x 1mm. I don't have Chiari malformation. So far doctors say my syrinx is to small to cause any symptoms. I originally went to doctor for headaches. The headaches were constist never letting up, nothing I took seem to work the pain was horrible. MRI came back with a sprinx - lot of good that did me. I still have headaches every day some worse than others. It feels like ants are crawling up the right side of my neck onto my face. Sometimes it feels like my right ear is wet or draining, yet when I check nothing is there. My right arm tingles and goes numb all the time. Sometimes I have tingling under my chin on the left side. My legs feel like they are made of lead at times. My back & shoulder hurt everyday. I also have charly horses a good bit and muscle spams, any one have this? At times it feels like my right hip is on fire, again its not but it burns like fire. My scalb and limbs fall asleep all the time, its really bad at night when I am trying to sleep. I asked my N.S, why and what should I do about these symptoms I was told to ingore them unless my face drooped and didnt return to normal or if I stuck out my tounge and it was crooked, then I am to report to the nearest emg room. I am at a lost as what to do next. I would welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks and God Bless you all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
(female)

Trish0712 HB User

Hi there,

I have a Syrinx...Thoracic Syrinx T4-T9..I have what they consider Chiari O or Borderline Chiari...with no herniation. I have a lot of symptoms myself many what you described including facial pain...Have you tried Tramadol? I have not tried any meds (expect for OTC stuff, and I can not use them anymore, b/c I have been taking way too many Tylenol) so I am going to try Tramadol...Hope you are feeling better..

Old 12-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
(female)

irishred317 HB User

I'm 32 years old. I have a cervical syrinx. I'm not sure the size. I'm having an MRI with contrast next week to determine that. I have all of the above, hip pain, charlie horses, electricity feeling in my neck and down my arms, daily headaches, fatigue, migraines, ear wetness and ringing and like pressure in my ear and head. When I vacuum or stoop and then stand a lot (like picking up toys) I get horrible hot flashes that make me nausesous. I also have a constant draining feeling in my throat, anyone else have that? Also, insomnia due to pain. I just started 50 mg tramadol last week and it is helping some. The neurologist started me on the lowest dose, so maybe increasing it would help more. I'm going to a neurosurgeon after I get an MRI with contrast. Hopefully, this helps all of you. I find it comforting to know that others feel this too, although I wish you didn't. I did read that you shouldn't lift over 15 lbs when you have a syrinx. I'm trying that, but having trouble because I have 3 and 4 year old boys that both weigh 40 lbs. I'm also trying to use step stools to reach on high shelves.

Last edited by irishred317; 12-29-2009 at 09:08 AM.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
(female)

PackerLady HB User

I have a small syrinx also from C5 to T2. I have many of the same symptoms - headaches, numbness, pain down the sider-side of both my arms into my wrists, can't always feel that water it hot (have scaled myself many times). I was diagnosed with the syrinx back in 2007 and have been managing the pain with Myoblock injections in my neck that & taking Lyrica for pain at night. I also have had a horrible time with sleep so my doctor also prescribed Ambien which seems to work ok.
I was on short-term disability when I first had my accident but it was eventually denied for a paperwork glitch and I was forced back to work. luckily for me the myoblock works well enough to manage the pain - well, until now... I just got injections last month and should have much less pain than i do right now. I'm on an unpaid medical leave because noone believes that I am in such pain! This is SO frustrating!!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #6
(female)

donlyn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanag View Post
I too have a small syrinx 7mm x 1mm. I don't have Chiari malformation. So far doctors say my syrinx is to small to cause any symptoms. I originally went to doctor for headaches. The headaches were constist never letting up, nothing I took seem to work the pain was horrible. MRI came back with a sprinx - lot of good that did me. I still have headaches every day some worse than others. It feels like ants are crawling up the right side of my neck onto my face. Sometimes it feels like my right ear is wet or draining, yet when I check nothing is there. My right arm tingles and goes numb all the time. Sometimes I have tingling under my chin on the left side. My legs feel like they are made of lead at times. My back & shoulder hurt everyday. I also have charly horses a good bit and muscle spams, any one have this? At times it feels like my right hip is on fire, again its not but it burns like fire. My scalb and limbs fall asleep all the time, its really bad at night when I am trying to sleep. I asked my N.S, why and what should I do about these symptoms I was told to ingore them unless my face drooped and didnt return to normal or if I stuck out my tounge and it was crooked, then I am to report to the nearest emg room. I am at a lost as what to do next. I would welcome any and all suggestions. Thanks and God Bless you all
Hello
I am so glad I came across your post. I also get the feeling of fluid leaking form my ears and also in m y scalp. Of course the DR's look at me like I am crazy. I stopped telling them about this feeling because I don;t want to get more aggravated.
I have a cervical and thoracis syrinx w/o a Chiari.
I was diagnosed in 2003...was having an MRI for low back pain from a fall and the syrins was noticed. I had NO symptoms from it till a few months ago. I also was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. The NS and NL all say that even though the syrinx is long since it is thin it CAN'T be causing ANY of my symptoms ( yea' right!) and there is nothing that can be done for me.
All I know is that I am miserable.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

rissie HB User

I was diagnosed yesterday after 3 years of frustration. I have a syrinx from t2- t7. It is slitlike and not very thick. But I have had horrible thorasic chest and back pain as well as headaches, strange sensory issues, bowel problems, bladder problems fatigue, insomnia due to pain and exasterbation with any effort, strain of excercise.

I will be going on a generic neurontin to see if it works. Unfortunately syringomyelia causes pain. the size of the syrinx does not matter the location does and all of them are serious.

I wish you guys all the best. Pain is not my friend and I am trying to regain contol of my life. Will let you know how it goes. I also do not have Chiari my syrinx was caused due to myelation. Hopefully it will not expand.

God bless

Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #8
(female)

melodyhope HB User

I too have syrinx, found after car accident 2/2006...I have alot of the symptoms you describe. I also have alot of swelling in back, neck, hands, legs and feet. Have had all kinds of meds, therpy etc....Nothing helps! I have gotten worse every year, pain is getting unbearable....Don't know what to do next.... Also had whiplash from accident, had surgery on neck 10/2011, neck worse after surgery...

Closed Thread