It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

dplumtree HB User
MRI Result C5-6 indents spinal cord

I am asking for help in understanding the following MRI:

C5-6: There is a loss of disc space height. Anterior osteophytic spurring is seen. There is a 5mm AP cranially and caudily dissecting 11mm left paracentral disc extrusion that contacts and modertly indents the ventral spinal cord. There is moderate left foraminal stenosis with expected contact of the left C6 nerve root.
Signal changes are identified within the nasopharynx measuring 7mm seen on sagittal series 2 image 9 which may represent a Tornwaldt or adenoidal cyst. There is straightening of the normal cervical lordosis.
CONCLUSION: C5-6, there is a 5mm AP cranially and caudally dissecting 11mm left paracentral/foraminal disc extrusion that contact and modertly indents the ventral spinal cord. There is moderate left foraminal stenosis with expected contact of the left C6 nerve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
(female)

dplumtree HB User
Re: MRI Result C5-6 indents spinal cord

here is some further inforamtion for anyone that can help with insight...

The only "symptom" that I have at all is unexplained and sporadic throughout the day - tingly feeling up my entire left arm. I see a neurosurgeon tomorrow & an orthopaedic surgeon next week for a 2nd opinion. My neurologist was quite upset at the findings that he called the neurosurgeon's office himself and said he wanted me seen within the week.

On the MRI itself- it is clearly visiblely touching my spinal cord - there is no mistaking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 10:37 AM   #3
(male)

Jay Bee HB User
Re: MRI Result C5-6 indents spinal cord

In your case, I'm guessing you might get different suggestions from different doctors and surgeons at this point.

When you say, 'up and down my left arm', can you be more specific? Starts where and ends where? If there is nerve compression, you'll likely feel tingling into your thumb and index finger as well.

The fact that there is contact with the spinal cord does not necessarily mean surgery will be recommended by all.. I had three herniated discs, all three of which were touching... we left c3-4 and c4-5 alone, and had ACDF of c5-6, where there was a large herniation that was compressing the nerve root and on the MRI it looked like the disc was about to chop the spinal cord in half.

The c4-5 I think had a 5mm issue.. but again, just went with the ACDF of c5-6. In addition to tingling in my left arm, including the top of my forearm and into my hand and thumb and index finger, I had sharp pains, especially in my shoulder.

I'd certainly get opinions from a couple of nuerosurgeons.

Best of luck

Closed Thread