It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
(male)

frambiscuits HB User
Unhappy Pain between spine and shoulder blade

I have been going through almost the exact same thing. Mine started a little over a year ago with a work related injury. They found a small crack in my clavicle and a few bulged disks in my neck. However, I have been experiencing increasingly bad pain in the area between my left shoulder blade and my spine. Usually it is a dull burning, but sometimes it gets so intense that it almost brings me to tears. I have had almost every test imaginable. MRI's, CT scans. PT, TENS unit, injections. You name it. Nothing helps. Recently my doctor sent me to the pain clinic and put me on oxycodone, which doesn't help. To best describe the pain, it is like a burning stabbing sensation. It doesn't pulsate or anything like that. Constant. In the mornings, I wake up with both of my arms and hands asleep and sometimes intense pain in my left hand.
This not only effects my life, but my work and home life as well. My wife is getting frustrated that they cant find anything on the scans and don't have a diagnosis on why I hurt so bad.
I truly hate being on the pain meds. They don't help the pain, but numb my senses so I don't care as much, but I know they are hurting my body.
If anyone has any information on anything like this, and has a possible treatment or even a possible diagnosis, please let me know.
I am so sick of hurting. I can't do it much longer.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Pain between spine and shoulder blade

I feel for you. I believe the bulging disks cause you all the pain. Didn't the doctors tell you that? It's probably pressing on your nerves and radiate pain.
THat's what I've learnt in this board. Like you, I've been living with chronic neck pain in the last 3 years. I cannot sleep at night and taking sleeping pills.
The only pain medication the doctor prescribed me was tramadol and it does nothing. I still take it but it does nothing.
In the beginning the tens helped me but now it stopped. I cannot even put my neck on the pillow and rest, it's that bad. Imagine life without resting. I can't believe I go on like that. It's like that everyday. At least you can sleep, bless your luck in that respect.
Try percocet. Some people say it helps.

Last edited by nochange; 12-04-2008 at 12:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

rootsy13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frambiscuits View Post
I have been going through almost the exact same thing. Mine started a little over a year ago with a work related injury. They found a small crack in my clavicle and a few bulged disks in my neck. However, I have been experiencing increasingly bad pain in the area between my left shoulder blade and my spine. Usually it is a dull burning, but sometimes it gets so intense that it almost brings me to tears. I have had almost every test imaginable. MRI's, CT scans. PT, TENS unit, injections. You name it. Nothing helps. Recently my doctor sent me to the pain clinic and put me on oxycodone, which doesn't help. To best describe the pain, it is like a burning stabbing sensation. It doesn't pulsate or anything like that. Constant. In the mornings, I wake up with both of my arms and hands asleep and sometimes intense pain in my left hand.
This not only effects my life, but my work and home life as well. My wife is getting frustrated that they cant find anything on the scans and don't have a diagnosis on why I hurt so bad.
I truly hate being on the pain meds. They don't help the pain, but numb my senses so I don't care as much, but I know they are hurting my body.
If anyone has any information on anything like this, and has a possible treatment or even a possible diagnosis, please let me know.
I am so sick of hurting. I can't do it much longer.
i have the exact pain in the exact same spot. i was diagnosed with 2 herniated cervical discs from an mri...you may want to ask for a second opinion on your mri results.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
(female)

hugg724 HB User

I also have gone through this and still going through it.

I had the constant burning pain from my neck through my shoulder for a good 2 years and just thought it was the stress of my job. I blew out 2 discs in my back and had lumbar fusion. About 6 months later, I asked my doctor what he did to my back that was causing such intense burning into my arm and hand which would wake me out of a dead sleep screaming in pain, and numbness in 3 fingers. He did an MRI, I had 3 herniated discs in my neck.

I tried physical therapy and traction was one of their treatments. After 2 sessions, I called my doc and said NO MORE. I was in dire pain afterwards. I couldn't use a TENS unit because it set me over the top.

I had a 3 level fusion (c4 - c7) a month later. It has been 3 years since my surgery. I started having problems again last fall. I had a cervical steroid injection in January which did NOTHING but cause me such pain when it was being done that I screamed and cried for him to stop. I finally had an MRI done in May which shows bulging discs at the C3/C4 AND C7/C8 levels.

Your bulging discs can easily be pressing on nerves and when you sleep, you could be putting more pressure on those nerves depending on your head position.

I would seek a 2nd opinion with your MRI results in hand. YOU know YOUR body and your pain tolerance, the doctors don't. Don't back down! Be adamant about the issues you are having and MAKE them tell you what is going on.

I hope you find relief for your pain!!!

Old 12-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
(male)

frambiscuits HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugg724 View Post
I also have gone through this and still going through it.

I had the constant burning pain from my neck through my shoulder for a good 2 years and just thought it was the stress of my job. I blew out 2 discs in my back and had lumbar fusion. About 6 months later, I asked my doctor what he did to my back that was causing such intense burning into my arm and hand which would wake me out of a dead sleep screaming in pain, and numbness in 3 fingers. He did an MRI, I had 3 herniated discs in my neck.

I tried physical therapy and traction was one of their treatments. After 2 sessions, I called my doc and said NO MORE. I was in dire pain afterwards. I couldn't use a TENS unit because it set me over the top.

I had a 3 level fusion (c4 - c7) a month later. It has been 3 years since my surgery. I started having problems again last fall. I had a cervical steroid injection in January which did NOTHING but cause me such pain when it was being done that I screamed and cried for him to stop. I finally had an MRI done in May which shows bulging discs at the C3/C4 AND C7/C8 levels.

Your bulging discs can easily be pressing on nerves and when you sleep, you could be putting more pressure on those nerves depending on your head position.

I would seek a 2nd opinion with your MRI results in hand. YOU know YOUR body and your pain tolerance, the doctors don't. Don't back down! Be adamant about the issues you are having and MAKE them tell you what is going on.

I hope you find relief for your pain!!!
Thank you. I ofte get discouraged with these doctors because it seems like they don't know what they are doing or what they are going to do for me. It's like they don't really give a crap, which they probably don't. Either way, thank you. I will get a second opinion. I go in Monday for a Spinal pain blocker thing. Not looking forward to that.

Closed Thread