It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

nipper123 HB User
Question What is calcification of the c-spine?

Hello I am new to this board and have been looking for people whom have had their dr tell them that the had calcification of entire spinal secetion? My neuro says it's in-operatable, but when I google it is just brings me to bone spurs and they are treatable? If anyone can help me understand this alittle better I would apprieciate it, and if anyone has had this what do I have to look forward towards?

Thank you in advance,
Nipper

Old 01-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User
Re: What is calcification of the c-spine?

Hi Nipper123. I had what they call Spinal Stenosis of the lower lumbar. In Sept. of 2003 I was operated on and the doc said he had to "chisel" out the bone calcification around the spinal nerve to open up the area. This calcification/stenosis was pressing on my spinal cord, causing me to have a funny gait/walk, and a grinding sound in the inner thigh area. I had what they call a pie shape of the disc removed, not the whole disc. I did not have any fusion/ rods, plates or screws. This was called a Decompressive Lumbar Lamienectomy.
Since then, I have had 4 levels of disc removed in my neck, and one whole vertebra taken out. This was replaced with what they call a cage, and I have plates and screws. They took the bone from my neck, sliced it up and put it back into my neck, like little columns that help hold up my cervical spine. Its amazing what they can do. They can take a bone from your hip, or give you a cadaver bone, when you are being fused, but the doc said if I take it from your hip, your neck will heal faster then your hip. And its painful, I understand. This way with my own bone, I had a good chance of healing faster...and I did. I have to be very careful how I turn my neck, one side just doesn't go as far as before, but you learn to live with it. I don't know just how much calcification you are talking about in your c-spine. I don't understand why your doctor said it was not something they could operate on. If I were you, I would seek a few more opinions and so much more research. The net is a wonderful tool. This is what I did, until I found the right guy. Good luck and let us all know how you make out. Janatee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
(female)

nipper123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janatee View Post
Hi Nipper123. I had what they call Spinal Stenosis of the lower lumbar. In Sept. of 2003 I was operated on and the doc said he had to "chisel" out the bone calcification around the spinal nerve to open up the area. This calcification/stenosis was pressing on my spinal cord, causing me to have a funny gait/walk, and a grinding sound in the inner thigh area. I had what they call a pie shape of the disc removed, not the whole disc. I did not have any fusion/ rods, plates or screws. This was called a Decompressive Lumbar Lamienectomy.
Since then, I have had 4 levels of disc removed in my neck, and one whole vertebra taken out. This was replaced with what they call a cage, and I have plates and screws. They took the bone from my neck, sliced it up and put it back into my neck, like little columns that help hold up my cervical spine. Its amazing what they can do. They can take a bone from your hip, or give you a cadaver bone, when you are being fused, but the doc said if I take it from your hip, your neck will heal faster then your hip. And its painful, I understand. This way with my own bone, I had a good chance of healing faster...and I did. I have to be very careful how I turn my neck, one side just doesn't go as far as before, but you learn to live with it. I don't know just how much calcification you are talking about in your c-spine. I don't understand why your doctor said it was not something they could operate on. If I were you, I would seek a few more opinions and so much more research. The net is a wonderful tool. This is what I did, until I found the right guy. Good luck and let us all know how you make out. Janatee
Thank you Jantee,
I have been looking into it as you said on the net, but it only refers to 1 or 2 discs, mine is the whole c-spine and when he showed it to me on screen it was pretty thick and wide. He also said it was genetic. I also early this year had an laminectomy on my L3/L4 & L4/L5 which turned out to be what they call a failed laminectomy syndrome (?), I now can barely walk or stand for periods of time without being in excrustiating pain. I am only 47 and am worried how I will be 10 years from now. Well thank you for your response, oh did your doctor tell you what caused this calcification to happen on your lumbar in the 1st place?

Thanks again,
Nipper

Old 01-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
(female)

Janatee HB UserJanatee HB User

Hello Nipper123, Glad to hear from you, but so sorry to hear how bad you are. Back in the early 90's, I was taking a shower, started to slip in the tub, and when I fell, I landed on the outer rim of the tub. I slammed down hard, and thought I was safe. Since I was lathered up, I slipped again and fell OUT of the tub. My upper torso landed face down, while my lower was turned the other way!!! OUCH!!!! I was sore and bruised at first, but later down the line I started to have the problems. THIS, the doctors believe started the whole ball of wax. Lumbar and neck. The trauma to these parts of the body, is where the calcification, and the bulging of the disc happened. SO... I tell everyone to make sure you have a mat in the tub to stand on. It really does happen, accidents in the shower!!! This did not develop over night, it took many years of wear and tear on the body.
Now, I'm in a back brace. After both of these operations, my legs are what is giving me the problems. The muscles are so very weak, and I have a hard time walking. This could be all nerve damage now, caused by the pressure on the cord for such a long time. I have some small pinching on the nerve, but for now doc feels no operation is due. So they put me in this back brace that I wear all day. I can not sleep in it. (long story there). But I do wear it every day. We will see if this is enough to straighten me out just enough to shift the spine back in line, and take the pressure off ... I keep the faith. I too am a young woman of 54, but at times feel so much older....You can never give up the fight.... Keep your chin up. Better days must be ahead of us both. Janatee

Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
(female)

nipper123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janatee View Post
Hello Nipper123, Glad to hear from you, but so sorry to hear how bad you are. Back in the early 90's, I was taking a shower, started to slip in the tub, and when I fell, I landed on the outer rim of the tub. I slammed down hard, and thought I was safe. Since I was lathered up, I slipped again and fell OUT of the tub. My upper torso landed face down, while my lower was turned the other way!!! OUCH!!!! I was sore and bruised at first, but later down the line I started to have the problems. THIS, the doctors believe started the whole ball of wax. Lumbar and neck. The trauma to these parts of the body, is where the calcification, and the bulging of the disc happened. SO... I tell everyone to make sure you have a mat in the tub to stand on. It really does happen, accidents in the shower!!! This did not develop over night, it took many years of wear and tear on the body.
Now, I'm in a back brace. After both of these operations, my legs are what is giving me the problems. The muscles are so very weak, and I have a hard time walking. This could be all nerve damage now, caused by the pressure on the cord for such a long time. I have some small pinching on the nerve, but for now doc feels no operation is due. So they put me in this back brace that I wear all day. I can not sleep in it. (long story there). But I do wear it every day. We will see if this is enough to straighten me out just enough to shift the spine back in line, and take the pressure off ... I keep the faith. I too am a young woman of 54, but at times feel so much older....You can never give up the fight.... Keep your chin up. Better days must be ahead of us both. Janatee
Thanks for the support Janatee I am really in the slumps about this whole thing. I know how you feel, when I go shopping my legs and back kill me so I use if they have one of the motorized carts. I look at folks much older and moving much slower than I but the pain and feeling like your going to just collaspes is rediculious, I feel so ashamed, they are way older than I and here I am in a motorized cart.. As your doctor said I believe the problem with my neck is something that I have been working on for years - almost all of my jobs since I was 15 was very phycial with lots of lifting above my head. The lower back is another thing, I a a small fall at work and it seems to have flaired up my back they said I had DDD and I went through PT and even once had the steriod injection done but was very allergic to it so the pt wasn't working, I asked my ortho what he could do and a did the laminectomy, which at first was fine, my legs felt better and I went home from the hospital. Next day home I started to have some leakage and a headache coming on, by the next day it was pouring out of my back by the towel full and I couldn't stand the pain in my head. Husband took me to the ER and I had a tear in my spinal cord, they had to re-open me up stitch and some kind of glue on my cord, re-staple the sight and since then it has gotten 100% worse. I have a feeling like my ex dr. did something wrong and won't admit it. I am now permenately disabled and trying to wait my time for ssd, boy it takes forever, I just hope I'm not in a wheelchair with grey hair before the decide something.

Well thats for the support again,

Take care of your self and maybe put one of those bars in your tub

Nipper

Closed Thread