It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #1
(female)

lolly67 HB User
do c5-c6 disc problems cause pain behind the right, middle back and right shoulder bl

do c5-c6 disc problems cause pain behind the right, middle back and right shoulder blade?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: do c5-c6 disc problems cause pain behind the right, middle back and right shoulde

I don't get the back pain, but I do get the shoulder, neck and headaches really bad. You can get trigger point injections or epidurals for the pain.

Sunny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
(male)

ADEAD1EYE HB User
Re: do c5-c6 disc problems cause pain behind the right, middle back and right shoulde

yes i have had this in right shoulder had c5-c6 fution and it helped

Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I had it all but mostly on the left side. I think alot of people who have the C5 6 problems have shoulder pain or some symptoms of that area. Good luck

Old 01-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

hi there...

I had C4-6 fused in Sept of 2008 and I am almost to the 5 month mark...
I continue to have some pain inbetween my shoulder blades and it has been diagnosed as myofacial pain...Not to say this is what you have going on...

I am with sammy...Many many people I have spoken to who have neck problems also have complainnts about pain in the area you have described...

Hopefully your docs will figure out if they feel this is something secondary to your neck issues....

Every persons body is different and handles treatments differently...

I really hope that your pain will calm down and you will find out the root of the problems....
Best of luck and keep on posting...
Sky

Old 01-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

if you look up 'dermatomes" you can kind of see just where the spinal nerves innervate particular areas. the area you mentioned is a bit high up to actually innervate(are you talking underneath that shoulder blade area?) that far down,but you could possibly have other issues going on lower in the c spine,or the upper T that could be causing this particular pain,or it could also just be a type of radiated pain from the muscles being inflammed,which in turn can casue what are called trigger points. under the shoulderblade, for some odd reason, really is a popular place to actually have TPs, even when that actual generator is further up than the dermatome would normally innervate.

do you have any other findings on your MRI that are much further down than the area in question? anything like stenosis or even a bulge can do this to you and your muscles. i have some really horrid TPs under both blades from my damage,but where my spinal cord was damaged is right at the c 8 nerve level. while you do not actually have a c 8 vertebrae,you DO have a c 8 nerve. it(the c 8) also correlates to the last two fingers of your hand. are you having ANY finger involvement at all,like numbness or tingling in any fingers? just wondering. that area between the c 7 and t 1(or even just a bit further down in that thorasic area) would usually be the most "likely' area of involvement to cause under the shoulder blade types of symptoms,but like i mentioned above,it can radiate down too if the generator is bad enough to cause some major inflammation.

just what are your most pertinent findings? they would be listed at the very end of your MRI report in that summary? it would just help to know whats also there. marcia

Old 01-30-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
if you look up 'dermatomes" you can kind of see just where the spinal nerves innervate particular areas. The area you mentioned is a bit high up to actually innervate(are you talking underneath that shoulder blade area?) that far down,but you could possibly have other issues going on lower in the c spine,or the upper t that could be causing this particular pain,or it could also just be a type of radiated pain from the muscles being inflammed,which in turn can casue what are called trigger points. Under the shoulderblade, for some odd reason, really is a popular place to actually have tps, even when that actual generator is further up than the dermatome would normally innervate.

Do you have any other findings on your mri that are much further down than the area in question? Anything like stenosis or even a bulge can do this to you and your muscles. I have some really horrid tps under both blades from my damage,but where my spinal cord was damaged is right at the c 8 nerve level. While you do not actually have a c 8 vertebrae,you do have a c 8 nerve. It(the c 8) also correlates to the last two fingers of your hand. Are you having any finger involvement at all,like numbness or tingling in any fingers? Just wondering. That area between the c 7 and t 1(or even just a bit further down in that thorasic area) would usually be the most "likely' area of involvement to cause under the shoulder blade types of symptoms,but like i mentioned above,it can radiate down too if the generator is bad enough to cause some major inflammation.

Just what are your most pertinent findings? They would be listed at the very end of your mri report in that summary? It would just help to know whats also there. Marcia
my husband has cervical stenosis with myelopathy. When this started,(before the mri and diagnosis) his first pain was severe in his right upper arm( in his tricep) then it went to his back. Inbetween the shoulder blades. Come to find out, he had scapula winging too. ( causing the back pain) it all progressed to numbness in his arm hand and fingers. On and on. Hes had the surgery. But, thats where it started...in his right arm (the pain)

Old 01-31-2009, 03:29 AM   #8
(male)

greg1x HB User

Yes. I get this still, even after having has an ACDF C5-6 several years ago.
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolly67 View Post
do c5-c6 disc problems cause pain behind the right, middle back and right shoulder blade?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

rootsy13 HB User

yes yes yes. i have a c4-c5 and c5-c6 and have pain in my left shoulder blade all the time. my doc said this was consistent with the discs i have herniated.

Closed Thread