It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #1
(male)

rsacheli HB User
T7-9 Fractures & Physical Therapy

Hello,

I am new around this board...
I recently injured my back, and have been seen by a doctor who refered me to physical therapy and gave me a script for pain meds and muscle relaxers... he didnt order any xrays or anything...
I get to physical therapy, they order xrays and have me schedule 3 visits a week...
I go to my first appt yesterday and they have me do all sorts of different twists and streching... Then i ask the guy who was working with me if he had access to my xrays... he said he did but really wasnt allowed to tell me what they said because he wasnt my doctor... but he revealed to me that the radiologist reported that i have 3 vertebrae that are "deformed and fractured" pending further investigation... and that I would probably require an MRI...
What will an MRI show that isnt already seen in the Xray? And is it really a good idea for me to be twisting and bending and such if they are fractured??
I am in a great deal of pain and the only part of physical therapy that helps at all is the 15 minutes of heat application...

I dont really have options to see anyone else due to being in the military... but i really need other opinions... The pain meds arent helping, and the muscle relaxers put me to sleep... i have a pretty high tolerance for pain and when i feel pain it takes some pretty strong pain killers to relieve it...

I am going back to physical therapy tomorrow morning and really would prefer not to end up causing myself further injury that would have more permanent after-effects...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
(male)

Roos HB User
Re: T7-9 Fractures & Physical Therapy

Hi

I managed to fracture my t7 vertebra a couple of years ago and have learnt a few things since. Mine was a compression fracture that left it wedge shaped.

I think a fractured vertebra can mean anything from as bads as it sounds to being nothing much at all. An mri shows soft tissue not just bone.

I started physio 3 months after my accident (I had to wear a brace for 3 months) but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your treatment should be the same. It did hurt after physio and still hurts now after going to the gym, yoga or just sitting sitting or standing still for a while. Ive reailised though that not exercising causes more problems though. It took me something like 3 months to see any improvement but I'm glad I stuck with it.

I'm still on medication now. I reckon my pain tolerance was above average, I walked into hospital and sat in the waiting room for an hour then spent the next week or a spinal board. I left hospital with nothing more than over the counter stuff and managed on that for the first few months. You can cause yourself problems though if you just grit your teeth and tense up for weeks on end. If its causing you to change your posture or tense up for periods then your not helping yourself.

I think each case is treated differently. You need to get some confidence in your doctors though. Try asking them questions and get someone to talk you through your xrays, maybe see if friends or relatives can recommend somebody.

Good luck

Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

afrodoo HB User
Re: T7-9 Fractures & Physical Therapy

Hello Roos, I also have broken my T7 vertebrae (compression fracture) and am 10 months into recovery - I was reading some of your other posts and was hoping I could contact you through your profile to ask some questions but it doesn't look like you can do that. If you read this I would love to be able to chat a little with you if you had the time? I've been having a hard time of it and from what I've read from your posts I have similar problems/symptoms and I suppose a light lit up when I saw that someone else has the exact same injury and might be able to give some advice or share their experiences too - its very isolating trying to recover form this when noone (including my GP and physio!) seems to know what is going on and its starting to drive me totally mad! If you do get this and would like to chat please reply. Hope all is going well with your recovery.

Closed Thread