It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
(male)

kennyyboy HB User
Post Help with my Dad's Situation, Any alternatives? DRX9000?

Hello, I've been a reader on this forum for quite a while now and have found the info useful from other members. My main reason of browsing this forum is mainly to find info for my dad's back pain and numbness in his leg.

He's currently 51, and has been suffering back pains for almost 3-4 years now. He's been holding off on surgery due to his age and has also been trying to find alternatives to help his pain.

He found an ad in the paper about using the DRX9000, I've read many post regarding the results, some people say it helped, others said they wasted their money, and it all mostly depends on their situation.

I happen to have a copy of a report from my dad's MRI, but I don't quite understand what it means and my Dad does not understand english. I apologize if my questions sound a bit ignorant as I'm still in high school and not familiar in this field of knowledge, but trying to read it to my best understanding. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help me out for my dad's sake and give me a better understanding of his problem and if the DRX9000 would work for him. On the paper it states....
---------------------------------------

Findings:
There is dehydration of the L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5 discs. There is a posterior disc protrusion at L2-3, eccentric to the right, with mild central canal stenosis and encroachment upon the exiting nerve root on the right side at L2-3.
At L3-4, there is a central posterior disc bulge and minimal protrusion, resulting in mild central canal stenosis, as well as bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. Each is accentuated by facet arthropathy as well as hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum.
At L4-5, there is a central disc protrusion. This protrusion results in both central and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.
The L5-S1 and L1-2 Levels are normal.
Vertebral body alignment and mineralization are normal. The conus medullaris is normal.

Impression:Degenerative disc change is present at L2-3, L3-4, and L4-5. L2-3 eccentric right disc protrustion encroaching on the exiting nerve at root at L2-3. Central disc bulge at L3-4 with mild central and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. Slightly greater degree of disc bulge and minimal protrusion at L4-5 with both central and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone can help me with their experience or knowledge I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Help with my Dad's Situation, Any alternatives? DRX9000?

Your dad is lucky to have you. His condition is common for an aging spine. His discs are drying and weakening causing bulging and pressing on nerves and stiffening. Epidural (ESI) injections are very helpful for these things. Many people have success with TENs units or for bigger pain ScS spinal cord stimulator implants.

The only stuff I have heard about the DRX machine is treatments are costly,most insurances don't pay for these, the manufacturer/distributor was under FBI investigation, there isn't any good medical studies on it to support all the claims, and even the chiropractic community is in disagreement (pro and con), and basically its a fancy traction device.

You will need to research it more to help your dad decide if it is for him.

When our backs hurt we get desperate-physical therapy and injections are the most common non-surgical route.

Good luck!

Last edited by PNo; 02-15-2009 at 02:59 AM.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I just want to add to Neckpatients post, I also get epidurals for the cervical spine, and in between the epidurals, I get trigger point injections. These work wonderfully. I DO NOT recommend the DRX9000. I called one center where I live to see if I could get in, I also told them I don't want all the twisting and adjusting that chiropractors do, it would only make me worse. They said that they have to do the adjustments first. So, long story short, don't go there, all that adjusting chiro's do is not good. Find a pain management doctor and ask if your dad can have epidural shots.

Sunny

Old 02-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You'll want to post on the Back Pain board as well (much of the discussion here is in reference to neck pain and cervical spine problems).

I would not recommend the DRX. I have not heard anything good about it (doesn't seem to have long term success and from what I've seen is often not covered by insurance). Your dad should have a consultation with an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and may be a good candidate for lumbar spine surgery. He may also want to try Epidural Steroid Injections if this is suggested by any of the physicians. I found them useful and they delayed surgery for a few years for me.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #5
(male)

kennyyboy HB User

Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. I'll try to look more into the DRX9000 and let my dad know about the situation. About the Epidural injections, are those only used as temporary relief? how long would they last?
Based on his conditions, would there be anything currently out there that would help rejuvenate his disc so they wont become dry, which is causing the problem in the first place?

I really appreciate everyone's help.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyyboy View Post
Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. I'll try to look more into the DRX9000 and let my dad know about the situation. About the Epidural injections, are those only used as temporary relief? how long would they last?
Based on his conditions, would there be anything currently out there that would help rejuvenate his disc so they wont become dry, which is causing the problem in the first place?

I really appreciate everyone's help.
Kennyboy, I don't know about anything for rejuvination, I am sure if there was something my doc would have told me. As far as the shots, they can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 years,(so I have heard) personally I get one about every 3 months and in between I get trigger point injections, You are not supposed to have more than 3 epidurals a year, I just started my second year, and just got an epidural, so far it is great!
I think it all depends on how bad your dad is, Have your doc refer your dad either to pain management or a orthopedic surgeon, and as long as you have the MRI, take it with you.

Sunny

Old 02-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

As people age the discs naturally change and tend to dry out. Some people have disc dessication and never have any symptoms while others do. There is nothing he can do to reverse the aging process which is contributing to the ongoing changes in his spine.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

nero HB User

Hi there, I am a long time member since an injury to my c5 -6 in 2001 and l5 s1 in 2001. I had anterior discectomy with plate on my c5-6 fusion and a microdiscectomy in my lumbar l5 -s1. The microdisectomy worked for a few years but like your father I have pain that radiates along the path of the nerve root down my leg, buttocks and groin area. I have had days where in the muscles in my stomach have girlded my abdomen in order to guard the protruding disc and hold my back. It can be excrutiating and then upon rest go away. The problem isthat like your dad, I want to have a life and not another surgery again so I am now awaiting my Monday date to start the DRX 9000. All I can tell you is that I am mother of a 16 and 23 year old children and am athletic and love to live and am tired of an 8 year recovery. I now have a c6-7 bulging disc in my neck that protrudes into my neck and throat and it is difficult to eat. This is an existing bulge that got worse from the domino effect of surgery and is known to happen.

I was introduced to the machine by a good friend who is a pilot and he is an iron man runner etc. He told me of his OHIO neighbour who is a Chiropractor from whom he obtained the treatments on the DRX and couldn't believe within 3 of the series of more that he was radically better...now he runs all his triathalons again. Clearly, I felt encouraged.

So after a few months of research on it through dissertaions from dr.s as renowned as John Hopkins university etc. and through my incredible knowledge from my personal journey and my science degree I am eagerly awaiting my turn.

I know there is much to say it may work and there are those who say the evidence is not completely there but from word of mouth anyone in similar shoes to mine or much less pain who has had the treatment gives it accolades. So I am doling out 4200 for my low back and 4800 for my neck and I am more than glad to fix what is a mechanical problem with me. I am lucky I do not have MS or any other progessive disease and the degenerative disc disease seems to be something that at this point in medical history can be more effectively and less invasively dealt with.

For 4200, I would say tell your dad it is worth trying. A lumbar surgery is very painful I would imagine. I had the front of neck cut open and a 4 month collar and a year till I felt better. However, my low back incision from the discectomy was way more painful because of the muscle it cut through. I wouldn't want to have a fusion down there and I am willing to put out the funds to give myself a chance.

So I hope this post helps. I think you are a great son...I recognize it because I have one too. Good luck in your relaying the potential of this machine helping your dad and may you continue in your very supportive manner while he tries to sort through the pain and his options.

Sincerely,

Nearly new Nero...PS I'll let you know ..I am having 2 weeks of 5x and then it gradually tapers to 3x and 2x. My neck will be 3x a week but may require a few more sessions.

Last edited by nero; 02-19-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
(male)

kennyyboy HB User

Nero, thanks for your help and suggestion. Please let me know how everything turns out for you when you start your DRX9000. I would be really interested in the results and what your experience would be. I wish you the best, and good luck with your treatment!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
(male)

sanaseem HB User

Hi Nero

Just wanted to know how helpful DRX9000 has been. I am thinking to get this treatment.

Regards

Closed Thread