It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Has anyone had cervical disc replacement surgery?

Hi, I'm having a fusion at c5/6 in may but would much prefer disc replacement surgery. I'm not considered a candidate because of my age, 25, and there is little long term evidence regarding the fine powder that can deposit into the spinal canal. Also, because of the lack of cervical trials it is much much more expensive. That said, I'd still prefer it - there's just those question marks. I have put my surgery off to get another opinion from a neuro that does do the replacements. That is if I can get in before may. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Old 03-01-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

cjlivinlife HB User
Re: Has anyone had cervical disc replacement surgery?

On Feb 17 I had acdf C4-5 C6-7 and they replaced the disc and used my own bone ground to a powder for the bone graft. I also have the hardware. I am in a soft collar and really most of my pain is not in my neck but in the back of my shoulders and upper back area. I am still taking the muscle relaxers but mostly off of the pain med unless I need it at night. I go in for my 2 week post op next Tuesday to see how things are going. I am not sure if they do an x-ray and if they can tell if the fusion is doing ok or not. I no longer have numbness in my arm and had that I did before surgery.
Good luck with yours.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Thanks cj, your story makes me feel better, I just wish that disc replacement technology was further along and we could all have that instead of fusions. In Australia, many lumbar operations are done using disc replacement & the success rate is much higher than a fusion. That said, it's new technology & we don't know what the future will bring - at least we know fusions are safe long term. Thanks again

Old 03-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Disc replacement is different from a surgery in which they do any type of fusion. A true disc replacement does not include hardware other than the artificial disc technology.

There is very little long term data for how well it works in the long run.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Thanks, it's for that reason that I'm trying to find people that have had a cervical disc replacement. The discs produce a fine powder that collects over time, this is the reason my surgeon recommends fusion over replacement at this point. In the lumbar, disc replacementis showing to have better outcomes than fusions in clinical trials. Thus far, cervical trials are few and far between. Thanks for your info, everything helps

Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
(male)

rehmlh HB User

My surgeon is in the process of pushing insurance for a cervical disc replacement at c6-7. I have other bulging and herniated discs but c6-7 is the one causing me trouble. The surgeon feels that fusion will put more pressure on the discs above and I would probably end up getting more surgery in the near future.

Closed Thread