It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
(female)

tresher23 HB User
how dangerous is cervical disc surgery

how dangerous is cervical disc surgery

Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: how dangerous is cervical disc surgery

Depends on how many disks, if fusion involved, front or back entrance, if an artificial disk is involved and your over all health. Any surgery has it's risks.

Can you share more info?

gentle hugs............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

All surgeries have risk, some techniques are more simple than others. Just keep in mind they are dealing with your spine, the area of the spinal cord. The key to reducing risk is to make sure you have the best qualified surgeon available to you. Don't be afraid to ask your doctor all your questions - if they don't take time to fully explain and ensure you understand the risks and the procedure then they have not fulfilled the terms of the surgery notice that you will be signing. Plus if you can manage do get a 2nd opinion. Also take time to ask about after care, what your restrictions will be and expected recovery. There are lots of good questions here in the old posts. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
(female)

want a good out HB User

From the research I have seen, It is a very common procedure and has a 95-98% success rate... Now having said that, I would find the very best, most highly skilled, highly rated Dr.. (ortho or neruo..which ever you decide is best for you), that I could (did) to work so close to my spinal cord. There are variations of disc surgery with bone gratfing and plating as well as a single level disc replacement. Depending on what you need, I would search for the right Dr for me. 50% is Dr skill, the other 50% is patient compliance with restrictions.... If you shift the bones, they stay shifted...

Closed Thread