It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

grandyandpops HB User
Laser Burning of Spinal Nerves

My wife has had back pain for years. We have a new doctor who is recomending the burning of three of her nerves in the mid section of her back. Can you tell me if there are any risk to this procedure and its success rates in releaving dehibilitating back pain?
Thanks

Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #2
(female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User
Re: Laser Burning of Spinal Nerves

There are always risks involved with any injections of the spine like bleeding, infection, nerve injury, or allergic reaction to the medications that are being used.

My PM doctor told me if this were to work I'd have pain relief for 9 months or more. He said the nerves will grow back, which would result in more nerve burning. This procedure was not an option for me. I did the medial branch blocks as dignostic testing and it did not work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2009, 05:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I have heard others have success with that. Usually they target that area first with injections then if the injections relieve the pain they do the burning so they know they are burning the correct area. I met 2 patients in my PMs office during one visit who were there for that same procedure but had already had the burning done, both stated they had more relief but as the nerves grow back the pain reappears. Nicole is correct this procedure will have to be repeated. If its the only option for pain control then I can see why your wife would consider it. Good luck, Sammy

Old 03-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I was going to have this but when I got the nerve bock, it didn't work. I wouldn't go through the trouble without finding out of those nerves are the ones causing the pain. I really wished this would have worked because honestly, this seemed like a small risk for something that could potentially have a huge impact on the pain. My doctor said that the pain can lessen when the nerves grow back each time. I think it's worth investigating. It could make a world of difference for your wife.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
(female)

joycemougeotte HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandyandpops View Post
My wife has had back pain for years. We have a new doctor who is recomending the burning of three of her nerves in the mid section of her back. Can you tell me if there are any risk to this procedure and its success rates in releaving dehibilitating back pain?
Thanks

Closed Thread