It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Any problems post op ulnar nerve or hand pain

Hey guys just wondering anyone had any problems postop with hand pain & hand getting cold. Spent 2 days in the hospital with my hand & arm. Hand stuck in semi fist position with the the nerve type pain, burning, tingling, numbness, hurt to even touch at all & could not move my fingers. The middle finger kind of froze in a slightly bent angle. Er doc could not move the fingers either. It moved up the wrist, elbow & to back of scapula. After while could not move the wrist either. The pain was constant.
They said it could be ulnar nerve but surgeon is wanting an EMG. Did an MRI & said the fusion is fine. anyone else experiance anything like this? Thanks Sam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
(female)

Bobbyboo HB User
Re: Any problems post op ulnar nerve or hand pain

Sammy - really sorry to hear about your recent problems. How is it now?

It is great that your MRI was showing successful fusion but frightening that you have these symptoms. Was it the same arm/hand that was giving you problems before your ACDF?

When will you get your nerve test?

Bobbyboo x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks bobby. NO its not the same arm thats the scary part. I will have the EMG this thurs. I have managed to sleep better for the past couple nights thanks to the muscle relaxer but the darn hand wakes me up evey morning. If I try to lay it will just go up the arm. For some reason I think the postion I am in during sleep is aggravating this. I like you am dissappointed. My neck will get sore or shoulders but nothing I cant handle. I could live with the rest but this is to painful. Lets hope we both improve. God bless, Sammy

Old 04-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
(female)

want a good out HB User

Hi Sammy,
I had/have post op pain from the nerve mostly in my right hand. I can get it to go away though. The strength has decreased since therapy started so I don't know what will happen next. I see the doc the 27th. I sleep with my soft collar on as it really helps. I had surgery feb 11,2009. I also get this feeling in my legs that concerns me. I have next to no room in the c5-6 area and I think it is cord impingement. I really don't want the back approach done with the hinges. I'll try to live with it. The muscle relaxers help the ulner nerve pain though. Good luck and keep us posted. I'm glad the fusion is taking. Damn, this is a L o n g process isn't it?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I get some leg issues to but I am pretty sure based on the last MRI I have some herniations in the lumbar. I swear I to wonder sometimes if the legs are linked to this problem, you know perhaps somehow it is.
I dont trust surgeons enough to ask after mines reaction to me being in the hospital.
Yes this is one long recovery & I just was reducing my meds just abit when this arm/hand pain hit. Its awful when I lay for long. Burns like crazy. Do you have any certain fingers in the right hand that bother you? I cant believe this. The pain will still hit the left shoulder but its the hand that had me in ER with 0 movement. My PT says that is not good & cant be ignored. Although I know my surgeon would rather & I am worried if this EMG does not show anything it will get ignored.
I am telling you so many people feel decent & then boom something sets off their pain. Its tricky to know what to do & what not to & mine was dec,26. Go figure. Good luck as at least there is still hope.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hi Sammy, how are you feeling today? Have you had the MRI yet? I have a c5/6 compression that's being fused in May but I do get symptoms like that at times when I'm in bed. I sometimes wake up with my hand curled up and I can't uncurl it for a little while - it's painful yet numb and tingly at the same time. It also happens if I sleep with my arms over my head. My neurosurgeon says that this should hopefully stop after the surgery.

Are you on enough pain meds? My neck plays up a lot more when my pain isn't contolled - probably because more stress is placed upon it from my thoracic being tight and painful.

I hope it sorts itself out soon, please let us know what's happening, you don't deserve any more luck.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Juliet. The last MRI showed the fusion was fusing & no issues. I have an EMG today.
I to wake up with my hand in a fist postion.
I was finally doing pretty good the week before easter. Perhaps I did to much. Some days I feel like I have decent pain control others I dont. I try to go with the least I need due to my surgeons dislike of meds.

I to slept with my arms over my head. I have got somewhat better. Only due to my left arm is so bad it will wake me up at times if I put it into that postion. I woke up with it over my head yesturday morning & my pain level was up for most of the day. It aggravates my chest & ribs along with my shoulder & sends my pain levels through the roof.
I had a PT tell me once that is a terrable postion to sleep in. The arms should not be kept over head for any real length of time. Of course that seemed to be my favorite postion,lol. I still wake myself up often trying to sleep that way.
We thought that pec. area in the chest had myofascial damage preop, now I have to get through this recovery for that to be established but I am pretty sure thats the case. As the PT gave me a new exercise that really works that area & its set of some spasms that are driving me crazy.
Good luck Juliet with your surgery, I know not knowing the outcome can be abit stressful. God bless, Sammy

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

Dyanna Dolbow HB User

My had does not stay in the semi fist condition. However, it does cramp into a semi fist. It does not last long but it hurts like heck. And this is after the surgery. Hope things get better for you.

Closed Thread