It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

VA_girl HB User
Pain & noises in ears

I have roaring sounds and buzzing in my ears sometimes & I grind my teeth. I've been labeled with TMJ but some people think it's really related to my neck. I'd also had some twitching in my right arm. But the ears are what's really bothering me, very uncomfortable.
Has anyone else had anything similar? If so any relief? I'm just not sure where to start. Did the denist thing and ENT already, got the mouth gaurd but still not feeling better. :-(

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Pain & noises in ears

There are a whole bunch of things that can cause a roaring in your ears. Do you take aspirin for the pain? Biggest cause of roaring and buzzing in the ears that I know of(and very overlooked). But all sorts of problems in the neck could cause it from something blocking or impinging the arteries in your neck or cholesterol plaques within the arteries. Has anyone ordered an ultra sound on your carotid arteries? Have you seen your primary care doc and had him/her check you out? I've got tons of cervical spine problems all the way up to my skull but I've never had any noises other than the clicking of the arthritis.

If your ears are cleared and the TMJ isn't the cause, I'd see a good internist and have them start a full workup of you neck.

good luck and gentle hugs................Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
(female)

trychocolate HB User

Sometimes people who have worked around loud equipment end up with tinnitus. Apparently, even listening to loud music can eventually do this. The fine hair folicles inside the ear become damaged permanently, and this is what causes the ringing in the ears as sound passes over these exposed areas.

Or sometimes it can be somewhat genetic in that if you are weak in this area, you can get it with very little irritation, while others seem to get away with more noise and no problem.

I have heard some people find relief through the use of different medications but for the most part, many people have had to endure it. Some people have a little background noise going all the time to lesson, or balance out the volume. And sometimes it can seem louder than others for some reason.

I have neck and jaw problems and I do wonder about those nerves Jenny mentioned but could be a combination of all the above.

Either way, if it is tinnitus, sorry to say that there isn't a whole lot you can do. But l agree that a check up is in order to rule out the possible causes. Don't take any chances in case there is more to it.

Don't give up on the night guard so you save those teeth!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
(female)

VA_girl HB User

I'll keep using the nightguard to save the teeth. Zero exposure to lound noises for me, zero asprin as I'm allergic, but I do take benedroyl every night to sleep for the last 3 years. I'm going to go to a neuro so he can order a MRI, I'll into the altrasound you mentioned, never heard of it.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I get that, more of the roaring or "ocean' sound then ringing. Then again I also have TMJ. Ironcally it did get bad before my C surgery but then the more pain you in the more your apt to grind of clench & I have lost 3 teeth from this. I still get it & more so when my pain level is up. I believe high BP can cause this also, along with sinus. As with much of everything there can be more then one cause & I would let your doctor know to be on the safe side. It can be frustrating. Good luck, Sammy

Closed Thread