It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

missygt HB User
worried sick....

I have bulging discs in several areas of my spine but what I am really concerned about is that I just had a MRI done...and it showed in the thoracic area that in 3 places they were impinging mildly on the Thecal Sac...exactly what does this mean?...could it become worse?...and is it possible to become paralyzed from this?...I have an appt. with a Neurosurgeon.

Last edited by missygt; 07-30-2009 at 05:47 AM.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
(male)

Devon07 HB User
Re: worried sick....

I have the same thing and its been over two years so far....what are your symptoms from this area?...I do know you will have a hard time getting any Dr to recognize injuries in this area and I dont know why....I am having trouble getting a Dr to see my thoracic problem...they keep trying to go to my C spine...and my pain may be from my C-spine but it dont change the fact I have thoracic injuries....I will follow this post and hope for some good feedback as well.

I wish you the best.....heat and Ice help me a little....does your upper back swell any?...I wouldnt worry about being paralyzed.

Devon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I'm sorry your having to deal with this. I can say the thoracic is not an area doctors treat as often as the Cervical & lumbar. I was told its not a common area of injury & is a very delicate area. There are a couple people here with thoracic injuries I believe, hopefully they will see your thread. I would think if your doctor thought your thoracic was in any real jeapordy you would be in to see a NS ASAP. My problems were first thought to be thoracic & my GP wanted me in right away just to make sure everything was ok. I have alot of chest, rib & upper back pain but so far nothing shows in that T area, problems in both the cervical & lumbar though. It worrys me so I dont blame you for being scared but your NS should be able to answer any questions.
I'm having ESIs done in the thoracic area next month & am really anxious to see if anything comes from it.

I am curious to as to what your symptoms are.

I dont think surgeons like to mess with that area unless they have to. I could be wrong but thats the impression I have got from every doctor Iv'e spoke with. I use the ice & heat to. Ice mostly. Try not to worry, I know easier said then done & see what the NS has to say.
good luck & god bless, Sammy

Old 07-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

To answer your question, the thecal sac is the covering over the spinal cord that holds in the spinal fluid. Just like the brain, there is a covering that holds in the cerbro-spinal fluid that bathes the brain and cord.

When a disk or osteophyte(bone spur) impinges on the thecal sac it means it's pressing on the sac of fluid but hasn't yet started to impinge(touch) the spinal cord. No, this won't cause paralysis. It would have to press on the cord itself and a considerable amount of pressure at that. My cord was compressed to 1/2 thickness and I was slowly becoming paralyzed but still functioning. So the cord can take a lot of pressing.

You'll need to be watched but right now you aren't in any danger of paralysis.

good luck..........Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
(female)

missygt HB User

Thanks everyone so much!..actually I haven't saw my GP since I got the MRI report back ..( I know the lady that gets the reports first and sends them to the GP ) so she slipped me a copy. The GP probably hasn't saw it yet. I have severe pain in that area it goes around my side and into my chest its so bad at times that it feels like a heart attack. Plus they are a lot of other symptoms i'll list more later ...I am in a hurry today....also I have problems in other areas of the spine.

Closed Thread