It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 05:08 PM   #1
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User
6 weeks post op -

Hi all,

Haven't post since before surgery on c5/6 c6/7 acdf with hardware on 6/25/09 due to spinal cord compressed to 4mm. I do have a bone growth stimulator that I need to wear for 4 hours a day. Yesterday was my 6 wk mark. Surgery went well and am relieved that the spinal cord compression is no longer a factor. Had a post op checkup on 7/6/09 and basically only had post op pain - however since 7/9/09 have been experiencing lots of pre surgery symptoms - numbness/weakness and tingling throughout different parts of body mostly in (left) legs from the knees down but do have some in arms and hands (elbow down).
My ankles and feet hurt alot - have been walking but there is still alot of pain - especially walking up stairs. my knees and fingers also have pain.

new symptoms not pre surgery - I have felt like someone placed a warm wet washcloth on top of my head along with tingling on scalp. tingling in the face and a warm feeling (happened twice so far) that starts out top of throat & right ear (am deaf in this ear) and travels through the chest all the way into feet. Like when you have a ct or mri with contrast. Throat feels tight and need to take collar of when I eat otherwise i can't swallow.

Saw neurosurgeon on 8-5-09 and when the nurse checked my blood pressure and she pumped up the band it really hurt my arm like sharp little pins were be stuck in my arm where band was placed. Neuro checked my xrays & said that hardware placement looks very good but no fusion yet. I explained all of the above symptoms. He said it may be all post op - nerves waking up etc. I see him again on Sept 14th - Still need to wear hard collar - no driving - lifting and no harley rides

Yesterday I was experiencing a sharp pain by right shoulder blade which also sent pain sometimes down my right arm and two middle fingers felt numb ( I did have sharp pains in the shoulder blade area pre surgery but never sent pain into arm) - Plus also having hard time comprehending things always telling people i don't understand what your saying or they ask if i heard what they just said and I tell them no - i know they are saying stuff and talking to me but it just doesn't stick to the brain to give them a reply, or i say stupid stuff they don't understand - the other day my husband asked if I was ok because my speech was all slurrring together, catch myself wanting to throw dishes in the garbage instead of sink, putting stuff in the wrong places, having to really concentrate to complete the task that i'm doing.

Sorry if this was long and confusing kinda feel off today but needed to werite this through the pain and brain fog hoping someone will understand, I'm just starting to feel frustrated and not sure where to turn next if Neuro releases me and i still have all this stuff going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: 6 weeks post op -

Hey there glad to hear from you. I was told the same by my PT, you can experiance pain & so on from the nerves coming back to life, she also said this can often happen in a backwards order. For example the first pain & symptoms can happen later down the road in your recovery. This can all make it hard to tell how the outcome will be long term. I had less pain after surgery but now new problems with my fingers/hands & now just the past week my left shoulder is hurting again. I pray this passes. I have discovered I cant lift even grocerys without risking more pain.

What I find very interesting is your experiancing nuerological issues, such as speech, concentration & so on.... I have some memory issues since surgery, its alittle better after 7 1/2mths postop but still there. I cant seem to think on how to put sentences together. I will use the wrong word in a sentence. At times cant remember the sequence of things, where keys are on the key board, kind of talk like had a few drinks at times, but not had the pleasure of one drink,lol. As you stated the words can come out slurred. I will repeat myself & so on... I am also have never gained my energy back & am exhausted.
I wonder if this is due to the anasthesia some how.

I never brought it up to my doctor, as he blew my trust due to having a post op problem that he said was in my head or do to my meds. Although the tests proved there was a problem & he was alittle embarrassed. Through my dealings with him I truely believe he was more worried my surgery being a success due to his reputation & covering his butt.
I was told every visit how perfect my fusion looked & that was it. He would just say I could still get better & more or less never gave me direct answers.

I am really wondering why this has occurred & what caused it. I feel like a major airhead at times & can say & do some dumb things, especially when I'm tired which is most of the time. Not that I wish anyone else to experiance this but I sure am glad I'm not the only one.
I still have some pain or discomfort in the throat area at times to but its not as bad as it was. Alot of my pain is different then preop, not all but most. I dont regret the fusion as I really had not choice & this may be from other discs. I am better then I was before the fusion & pray I continue to move forward & not backwards here.

There is fear of another surgery because of what I am experiancing though. I only weighed in the 90s preop & wonder if I was given maybe to much anasthesia, but honestly I dont know what to think. If & when I seek out another surgeon I'll ask or I may ask my PM doctor.
If you ask your surgeon what could be causing this I would really appreciate if you could let me know what he says.
Did you have alot of spinal cord involvment? I am pretty curious.

Like you I had alot of restrictions for almost the full 3mths.
Continue to take it easy, as frustrating as it can be.
I recently heard of a wonderful success story, took along time but my friend has gained most of her life back & really we wondered for along time if that day would come.

Lets pray your situation gets better, your still early postop so thats something.
God bless & take good care, Sammy

Closed Thread