It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

estella3 HB User
Wink Did anyone have artificial disc replacement of the c-spine, not spinal fusion?

I am wondering if anyone here had 1 or 2 discs of the Cervical spine replaced with artificial disc? I am due to have this procedure soon, and I am wondering how others have benefited or not benefited from the surgery. ESTELLA

Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
(female)

estella3 HB User
Re: Did anyone have artificial disc replacement of the c-spine, not spinal fusion?

Another thing i think about is, I have osteoarthritis, I told the surgeon this, I am reading on the internet here that it is containdicated in people with arthritis. Shouldnt this mean i cant have the surgery?

I also worry that with the osteoarthritis, in a few years i will have more than 1 or 2 bad discs, and then i wont be a candidate the ADR. and i would have to go with the fusion. BUT if people with arthritis,or osteoarthritis cant have this surgery, what do they do? live in pain? very confused about this ESTELLA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Did anyone have artificial disc replacement of the c-spine, not spinal fusion?

Ive only read once about someone have the AD, it was a success & that particulair person said her surgeon stated it was easier on her then fusion would have been, recovery & all. Ive read your other posts & think if you want to be sure your doing whats right for you get another opinion from a surgeon. Even with fusions you may have to go back & have discs done in the future.
It cant hurt to get a second opinion. Good luck & god bless. Sammy

Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
(male)

mart1000637 HB User

Hi there,
have a look on the testimonials of the Stenum hospital in Stenum Germany. Just google it and you will find their website, greetings, Mart

Old 12-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I do know one person who is going for a 3 level ADR but is traveling to Germany for this (and paying the $64,000 herself). Many insurance companies don't cover ADR so make sure you've got insurance company approval.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi,
Just talked with my surgeon about ADR and ditto what you've heard - my insurance won't cover it (most won't) and was told the outcome for ADR as compared to fusion is not any better. So far. Surgeon was definite to add that time may show ADR as a better method. I'm nota candidate and the lack of insurance made it a short discussion. SQ

Old 12-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I have also heard that ADR, like other joints that get replaced such as hips and knees, can have a limited "life span". While I can imagine having 2 knee replacements in my lifetime - the thought of doing ADR only to later fuse those same joints is just too scary. I wonder if this is part of the reason it's not as accepted by insurance as they like to think the outcome will be good and will last.

Closed Thread