It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
(male)

larry81 HB User
does anyone get "buzzing" or vibrations in arms or legs

I have herniations in my cervical and thoracic spine. I always find it hard to explain to a doctor exactly what i'm feeling so that he understands. to me they feel more like buzzing/ vibrations than pins and needles but maybe thats the same thing?

would anyone else here with herniations describe what they are feeling in their arms or legs (or both) as buzzing or vibrations.

Thank you in advance for reading and posting.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #2
(female)

binx HB User
Re: does anyone get "buzzing" or vibrations in arms or legs

hi larry,

i have a c-spine herniation and 2 bulges, 2 lumbar bulges, and now one thoracic bulge and my lower legs and feet are always buzzing. i told my husband it feels like the floor is vibrating all the time, or i am wearing a tube sock that vibrates. i sometimes get pins and needles in my toes, and i feel like i can distinguish the buzzing from the pins and needles since the latter feels more like when a limb falls asleep to me.

best wishes for healing,
binx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
(male)

larry81 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by binx View Post
hi larry,

i have a c-spine herniation and 2 bulges, 2 lumbar bulges, and now one thoracic bulge and my lower legs and feet are always buzzing. i told my husband it feels like the floor is vibrating all the time, or i am wearing a tube sock that vibrates. i sometimes get pins and needles in my toes, and i feel like i can distinguish the buzzing from the pins and needles since the latter feels more like when a limb falls asleep to me.

best wishes for healing,
binx
thank you for making me feel that i'm not alone. how do you handle it. what meds are u taking and does it help.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
(female)

HarleyLdy61 HB User

Hi Larry,

I had a c5-7 acdf - and on my thoracic mri it showed a disc herianted at T6-7

presurgery had tingling in legs below the knees and sometimes in the arms.

After surgery still having tingling mostly left lower leg (keeps me up at night) and more active in the arms, also along my tspine, face and scalp. I do get a buzzing feeling in my spine if I bend my neck forward in my spine, chest and left upper arm. Sometimes i have the buzzing (like a cellphone on vibrate) in differents areas (fingers, feet, thigh) but only for a quick couple of seconds. most of it happens on the left side but does also happens on right side. Well also get areas with a rug burn feeling where it stings if anything touches it - or areas where like the skin is feeling tight like if you put glue on your skin and it's starting to dry and pulling on the skin.

i know it's really hard to try and explain the different types of sensations to the doctors. I feel like my nerves are in overdrive - I go Tuesday for a EMG test.

I've tried a couple of meds

Cmybalta - gave me bad anxiety - tried before surgery

lyrica - made me feel really fatiqued and nauseated. tried before surgery

gabapentin and trazodone gave me really bad headaches the following days.

Not sure what else is out there to try - but for now I jsut have to deal with it. It does get annoying and can drive one crazy especially when your tired and want to sleep.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
(female)

binx HB User

larry,

up to now, i haven't used any medications to address my symptoms. my neurologist just gave me lyrica and i don't want to take it and like harleyldy says, i am just trying to deal with it. i, too, have buzzing in the back of my head and in my face like harleyldy. right now my jaw line is doing its thing. i have not yet had surgery, and vacillate between calling the neurosurgeon to schedule it right away and feeling like maybe just a little more time will do the trick and i'll wake up one morning miraculously healed.

the latter scenario fades a little more into the background with each passing day.

Last edited by binx; 10-24-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
(female)

happynessa HB User

why yes! That is exactly the feeling I have in the bottom of my right foot. Occasionally in my abdomen as well. once it happened for 2 days in my tum. I thought I had the worst case of gas in history! Glad to know I am not the only one.

I have a disc herniation at c3/c4 with cord compression to 6mm

Vanessa

Old 10-29-2009, 12:13 AM   #7
(male)

matt3507 HB User

I think there was a thread about this not too far back but I am too lazy and burnt out tonight to check. I get it on my right leg where my pocket is. I think it actually does vibrate really super fast but tiny movements. No, it is doing it now and I can't feel it actually moving with my hand.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
(female)

rkmgkm HB User

I am having this feeling all the time, the vibrations in arms, shoulders and back, and less frequently in my legs(mostly at night - will keep my legs elevated). I have trouble explaining this to my doc too. I have diagnoised with fibromyalgia, lupus and now dont know what else. I am fighting to know the right diagnosis. Requesting referral for Hemotology, but my doc does not believe anything is wrong with blood work. I have lot of other problems too - like joint pains, big tendons at many areas - back, shoulders, arms, thighs.... I go regularly to get acupuncture treatments and chiropractic adjustments. Last visit my doc gave me flexiril, muscle relaxant. Earlier I have tried nortriptylene, gabepentine and i found some relief with nortryptelene but had to increase dose every 3 months and could not tolerate beyond 100 mg. I am taking plaquenil and some muscle relaxant and some vitamins.

I am very earger to know what others have to say.. this is indeed very difficult to describe. I am suffering from this problems last 8-10 years. It started with my neck then my back, then legs and later to arms and then facila muscles and head.

Please let us know if someone had any success with any medicine for this problem

Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hello,

I know I have some problems in my cervical spine, but haven't yet been able to afford an MRI so I'm not sure exactly what's wrong. However, I know exactly what you are talking about! I have gotten buzzing and vibrating sensations in many parts of my body. I did and do have diagnosed lumbar spine issues and used to get a lot (though not as much right now) of buzzing sensations. Many times it would be in my right big toe and other times it would be along my sciatic path where I was having sciatic pain as well. The buzzing in my toe only happened when I bent my neck down, though. Everytime I put my head down, I would get that buzzing in my toe. The best way I found to describe it to my doctors and physical therapist, was to say it felt like a TENS unit or nerve stimulation was running on that area. I don't know if you've ever had TENS or nerve stim done, but the sensations feel just like buzzing or vibrating. I've also had mild electric current zaps in my life and aside from pain, that also causes a buzzing zappy sensation. Or...another good way to describe it is..if you remember as a kid, there were these prank toys (can't remember what it's called) where you hide this thing in your hand, then go to shake someone else's hand and it buzzes their hand. OMG, another way to describe it could be if you have a small battery operated alarm clock, and when it goes it, it buzzes at first. If you hold it in your hand, it gives you this buzzing, vibrating sensation. Sorry, LOL, now I'm suddenly thinking of all these ways one can describe it.

Anyway, I've gotten the sensation many times and now I do get them in my upper body, such as the back of my head, my fingers, in different spots on my back and other areas. By the way, I am also diagnosed with Lupus and Fibromyalgia, though I'm skeptical about the Fibro, b/c from what I've read, I do not match many of the symptoms, especially since I don't have any tender spots except for where I get severe spasms. I also was on Plaquenil for many years, though recently stopped b/c I didn't want to go back to my Rheum - I need to find another one. Lately I am getting more and more nerve symptoms, though. I did some checking recently as to whether Lupus could cause nerve symptoms and I did find that it could, but it is rare. I hope some of my descriptions can help you in describe your buzzing to your doctor!

Closed Thread