It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
(female)

sueinge HB User
Severe neck pain radiating down my right shoulder blade

I have had horrible neck pain on and off for a really long time and it radiates straight down my back under my right shoulder blade. A year or so ago I went to a chiropracter who did x-rays and said that I had some cervical issues from a past car accident but I can't remember exactly where. He said that my bones were not cushioned as well and i think he said herniated. Anyway, I stopped going to him because I felt like I was in more pain afterwards. I am wondering what kind of doctor I should go to for this? Another chiropractor or an orthopedic doctor? Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Severe neck pain radiating down my right shoulder blade

you need to go to do an MRI that's one thing. (go to orthopedic doctor or neurologist).

Second thing, never go to chiropractors again. They can cause further damaging to your neck. there is a thread about this, read it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #3
(female)

sueinge HB User

Thanks, nochange, I appreciate your reply!!

Old 11-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

a big HUGE ditto on what no change just told you. getting that baseline MRI done(with a contrasting agent would be ideal) first too is what really needs to be done now. you just really do need to know where things stand here with your c spine before anything else should be done. whatever does or does not actually show up upon the MRI will kind of dictate the next step for you as far as who to see for this. please let us know what you find out, and make DARN certain to ALWAYS obtain your very own copies of ANY testing done on you, including that MRI result. you just really DO NEED to be doing this for alot of reasons. trust me here when i say that obtaining all test results is really IN YOUR best interest. good luck, marcia

Old 11-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
(male)

matt3507 HB User

Hi Sue,
Another ditto. omg please no more chiro's. I am not condemning them saying that they can't help SOME people - but never ever a people with cervical anything going on. I had a physical therapist who was an idiot and made my neck so much worse by doing manipulations after I screwed it up. Also, I would say never traction on your neck either - another stupid thing I learned the hard way. I treat my neck like delicate glass now.

About the mri. Yes, go to your primary care doc and have them refer you to a neurologist or orthopedist. There are so many things they can do to help you.

I have the same thing you have - neck pain going down into the right shoulder blade - feels like a knife in the back. The physical therapist added headaches by manipulating my neck .

Do you have any numbness along with the pain? Have you noticed any weakness in your limbs? Have you noticed clumsy hands?

OK thats my two cents. Please keep us posted. This board is full of nice, experienced people like feelbad and neckpatient. I don't know what I would have done without this place.

Take care, matt

Old 11-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
(female)

sueinge HB User

Thanks you all, I am going to go to my primary and I will keep you all posted! I appreciate your help!

Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Get an MRI and then a consultation with an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon and/or Neurosurgeon (not a Neurologist unless the problem is not spine related. While a neurologist can deal with nerve issues they are not surgeons and don't have as many treatment options available to them when the issues is cervical spine problems).

Last edited by SpineAZ; 11-04-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Closed Thread