It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009, 04:03 AM   #1
(female)

spasmedout HB User
What does flattening of the ventral cord mean?

Hi Again

I know everyone is busy but can anyone tell what ventral cord means? Is this the nerve or spinal cord? My MRI is posted in another thread but I can't seem to find what this is. From what I found on the net is either the nerve (sciatica?) or spine.

TIA

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: What does flattening of the ventral cord mean?

Each of our spinal nerves has two roots the ventral (front) root carries motor impulses from the brain and the dorsal (back) root carries sensory impulses to the brain. The ventral and dorsal roots fuse together to form a spinal nerve, and it travels down the spinal canal alongside the cord, until it reaches its exit hole called the foramen at the various spinal levels that goes on to our body parts. If you are talking in your lumbar - the spinal cord does not go all the way down, but the nerve bundle to the lower extremities does. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
(female)

spasmedout HB User

Thank you NP! It is in my cervical. C5-6. Would this be what is causing my shoulders to ache and electrical shocks in my fingers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckpatient View Post
Each of our spinal nerves has two roots the ventral (front) root carries motor impulses from the brain and the dorsal (back) root carries sensory impulses to the brain. The ventral and dorsal roots fuse together to form a spinal nerve, and it travels down the spinal canal alongside the cord, until it reaches its exit hole called the foramen at the various spinal levels that goes on to our body parts. If you are talking in your lumbar - the spinal cord does not go all the way down, but the nerve bundle to the lower extremities does. Hope this helps.

Old 11-25-2009, 06:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

do you actually have your very own copy of your MRI report that you could just type out what was in the very end in that summary? this is where all of the hard findings are listed. it would help alot to really get the overall impression here and what other findings could also be causing your symptoms. if you do not yet have a copy you can get one from either your doc who sent you for the MRI or directly from the facility who actually did the MRI. going directly to the facility is usually quicker.

just what exactly IS in/at that ventral side of your cord as listed as the finding with it? all that wording actually means is that whatever was found at the c 5-6 level was in the front, thats it. there would be much more listed as to what actually IS affecting your c 5-6, you know what i mean? this is why we really do need to see that summary word for word as interpretted by that reading radiologist. in many many cases, the radiologists exact wording of any given finding really can tell you alot more. Marcia

Old 11-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #5
(female)

spasmedout HB User

Hi feel bad. Thanks for the reply. I am posting two different MRIs that I have had done in 2009. To me, they are different. Here they are:

March 09 (Opensided MRI)

Cervical W/out

Indications: Patient has neck pain, radiating to the arms, and there is the possibility of disc herniation causing radiculopathy. The patient has history of thoracic fracture from ATV accident.

Procedure: Sagittal and axial T1, T2, and/or gradient echo sequences were performed.

FINDINGS: Incidental note is made of right maxillary sinus disease

The cervical cord is normal in its size and signal characteristics. There is some straightening of the normal lordosis, perhaps due to muscle spasm.

The C2-3, C3-4 and C4-5 levels are unremarkable.

The C5-6 disc is degenerated and bulges diffusely with central protrusion thinning the subarachnold space without compressing the cord. There is mild left neural foraminal stenosis.

The C6-7 and C7-T1 levels appear unremarkable.

IMPRESSION: Degeneration and bulging of the C5-6 disc thinning the subarachnoid space and mildly narrowing the left neural foramen without compressing the cord.

Nov 09 Cervical MRI – Done at a different location Closed MRI

Result:
Inferior views of the posterior fossma midline are within normal limits. The craniocervical junction is normal. There is a minimal reversal of the cervical lordosis centered at C5-6. The vertebral bodies maintain near anatomic height and alignment. There is mild loss of disk height greatest at C5-6. There is no suspicious marrow edema or signal abnormality. Details by axial level:
C2-3 is normal
C3-4 shows mild left foraminal narrowing, otherwise normal.
C4-5 shows minimal-mild disk osteophyte, with no central or foraminal narrowing.
C5-6 shows mild disk osteophyte eccentric to the left, with mild left facet hypertrophy, contributing to a mild-moderate left foraminal narrowing. There is very mild flattening of the ventral cord, without cord signal abnormality. There is no right foraminal narrowing.
C5-7 is unremarkable.

The visualized prevertebral paraspinal soft tissues appear within normal limits.

IMPRESSION:
MILD CERVIAL SPONDYLITIC CHANGE GREATEST C5-6, MINIMALLY FLATTTENS VENTRAL CORD, WITH NO CORD SIGNAL ABNORMALITY. NO SIGNIFICANT FORAMINAL NARROWING

To me, there seems to be change in the C5-6. Or, maybe it's the wording of the two different radiologists?

As always, any ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated. And, Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Closed Thread