It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
(male)

1Philfan HB User
18months post acdf..couldn't be better. except.

had 5-6-7 5/08. little tough in the beginning. never know I had a problem now. BUT..don't know if it's related.
Lumbar is now a problem. or has been for about a yr. Just got results from discogram. recommending fusion L3-4-5.
Fighting with the disability folks. Seeing the nuero that did my neck on the 18th. Ortho. is recommending surg.
wants me to get involved in a "Disk Research" program..??
any place for research would be appreciated.

Just venting. My recliner and I have become much too close.

But the ACDF is Great!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: 18months post acdf..couldn't be better. except.

I am the opposite. Started with lumbar problems in the late 80's and then cervical in 02. In my case I have a history of lax ligaments and tendons. So joints tend to be loose. In my knees this caused them to move around too much and in my spine it causes vertebrae to move. I am only going to say this to be honest...an ACDF is a breeze compared to lumbar posterior fusion. Not that it's a bad thing, my lumbar fusion kept me active for 17 years before I developed new problems this year. But the ACDF is an easier surgery and recovery so just be aware of that as you move forward. Be sure to get a second opinion. If the first opinion was a Neurosurgeon then maybe get a 2nd with an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon. (I knew it was time for my ACDF when both the NS and OSS agreed it was time). Right now I have a great OSS for my lumbar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
(male)

1Philfan HB User

Thanks for the info! Ortho says go..waiting on the Nuero. My main issue is my niece's husband.he had lumbar in the early 80's. Bad hardware , bad job. i don't want to be him. Can't walk.seizure's.??
I think my dr's are good...all are published. My Nuero ended up taking out his hardware.."it is what it is". His original doc. is long gone..somewhere in s. america. remember the congressional hearings...scares me.
I know technology has changed, in the last 20 yrs. I just hate the wait...and then there is the disabilty folks.

An RN,that doesn't know me..or my dr's . Decides what my future will be??

Old 11-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Please remember that 1980 was nearly 30 years ago. All surgical processes and methods have progressed tremendously since then. So although it may be hard, you have to remove your relative's experience from the decision process. But not only because it was 20-30 years ago, but because everybody's specific problem is different medically. Use all the research you can but put special emphasis on your personal medical problems and symptoms and the expertise provided by today's physicians.

If it helps I am happy with the results of all my lumbar and cervical surgeries. I have some unique problems (lax ligaments) which have led to repeat surgeries as my joints shift too much. But even my initial lumbar surgery in 1987 was a success. And my ACDF in 2006 was a life saver as it removed nerve pain, tingling and numbness 80%.

Closed Thread