It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
syrinx????symptoms?

hi,ive been poorly for a number of years since a minor head trauma. and amongst headaches and huge list of symptoms which ive had for 9 years im now having huge problems with chest and back pains.
im looking for people who have or knows about syrinx/syringomelia and would like to know what symptoms they had. ive googled the symptoms but am interested in real peoples experiences with this. and what their first symptoms were and how it progressed. any one have chest problems and palpitations with a syrinx? any imfo will be great thank youx

reasons im wandering about syrinx is that it was questioned if i had chiari at one point. doc say no but i think yes !!!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
(male)

syrinx09 HB User
Re: syrinx????symptoms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellebeans View Post
hi,ive been poorly for a number of years since a minor head trauma. and amongst headaches and huge list of symptoms which ive had for 9 years im now having huge problems with chest and back pains.
im looking for people who have or knows about syrinx/syringomelia and would like to know what symptoms they had. ive googled the symptoms but am interested in real peoples experiences with this. and what their first symptoms were and how it progressed. any one have chest problems and palpitations with a syrinx? any imfo will be great thank youx

reasons im wandering about syrinx is that it was questioned if i had chiari at one point. doc say no but i think yes !!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
(male)

syrinx09 HB User

Hi
The Symptoms I have are loss of feeling in both feet below the knee, feeling of ants crawling on my legs, pain and twitching in the calf muscle area. loss of feeling in my hands (Palms) neck and shoulder pain/stiffness. I also have bladder issues. My Syrinx is due to a congenital issue of a bone spur pressing against the spinal cord and causing a syrinx to develop, I also have mild Chiari due to this (4mm). Some Neurosurgeons recognize this as "Chiari 0" or Chiari zero...It is important to note that not all NS do recognize this so getting a NS with experience of both CM and Syringomyelia is important.
Most NS use 5mm herniation and an obstruction of CSF flow as criteria for diagnosing Chiari 1. I have problems with my sight (nystagmus) vertigo, Dizzyness Headachs and brain fog and periods of insomnia witch the NS thinks is due to the Chiari as Chiari involves the Brain stem where all these sences are controled from.
Most of these symptoms come and go but the dizziness has become permanent for the past few years
Hope this helps...

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
(male)

walling28612 HB User

i have found out i have a syrinx and it is locatedx in my spinal cord in my neck i get numbness in my left arm and have lost some feeling, what are ways tha they get rid of this or can they.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
(male)

syrinx09 HB User

Depending on the severity of your symptoms and how this condition is affecting your quality of life the doctors may adapt a wait and see, they may monitor your condition or if it is problematic they do surgery to drain the Syrinx by placing a shunt or tube to drain it, Doctors will look at risk of surgery verses quality of life.

It is important to identity why you have the Syrinx, they are sometimes secondary to malformations such as Chiari or they may be due to tumours of the spine. I would suggest you find a Neurosurgeon who deals with Syringomyelia as a big part of their practice...

Hope this helps.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
(male)

Doina HB User
Chiari

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrinx09 View Post
Hi
The Symptoms I have are loss of feeling in both feet below the knee, feeling of ants crawling on my legs, pain and twitching in the calf muscle area. loss of feeling in my hands (Palms) neck and shoulder pain/stiffness. I also have bladder issues. My Syrinx is due to a congenital issue of a bone spur pressing against the spinal cord and causing a syrinx to develop, I also have mild Chiari due to this (4mm). Some Neurosurgeons recognize this as "Chiari 0" or Chiari zero...It is important to note that not all NS do recognize this so getting a NS with experience of both CM and Syringomyelia is important.
Most NS use 5mm herniation and an obstruction of CSF flow as criteria for diagnosing Chiari 1. I have problems with my sight (nystagmus) vertigo, Dizzyness Headachs and brain fog and periods of insomnia witch the NS thinks is due to the Chiari as Chiari involves the Brain stem where all these sences are controled from.
Most of these symptoms come and go but the dizziness has become permanent for the past few years
Hope this helps...
Hello, thank you for posting. I did not realize that a bone spur can cause syrinx. But Chiari is a congenital malformation. Syrinx cannot cause Chiari? am I misunderstanding you? Thank you.

Closed Thread