It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User
ACDF C5-6 in Jan But Car Accident Today

Hello,
I was in an accident this morning. Was driving and got hit on my front tire area. I whiplashed pretty good and I'm frozen stiff in my entire cervical and shoulder area. I went to hospital and had a full xray of spine. No breaks so they sent me home with scripts for vicodan and a muscle relaxer. Meds are helping a lot. Told me to follow up with my docs. Of course I am very worried about new damage as I realize the xrays will show only fractures. The absence of major neuro issues like numbness and incontinence rule out only catastrophic disc issues. I'm afraid of what might be lurking under the whiplash. On impact I felt major pain across my left neck-shoulder area. Tonight I am just a mass of sore muscles.
I'll call my neurosurgeon on Monday. I am drop-dead lucky considering but I sure do wish I could catch a break for my poor spine. SQ

Old 11-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: ACDF C5-6 in Jan But Car Accident Today

so sorry you had to go thru the MVA on top of everything else you have been dealing with too. the one thing that i just REALLY think you NEED right now is a good contrasted MRI just to really 'see' into that c 5-6 are(mostly) for ANY more possible compromise of what is already been cord contact if i remember right? you just already had been in the contemplating surgery mode here well before this occured. it would really reqire another follow up MRI even before any NS would even begin to reassess the need for surgery, they just do not like any suprises popping up in the OR that could have been found simply taking the time to recheck what is now considered to also be a traumatized/compromised area. ya know what i mean?

i see you have new pain over that "L neck shoulder area? did you have your seatbelt on at the time? this could just be the 'normal 'deceleration and forces involved just wearing that seatbelt at all. but they do save you from a ton of other possible types of damage, trust me on that one. but they do tighten up upon impact and can casue some pretty good bruising depending upon speed and how quicly you just come to that dead stop. your body just would naturally absorb the overall impact too.

just considering everyting involved here, i really do think at least a contrasted MRI just IS a very needed thing right now. you could have made certain situations worse, and you just need that look at what was your worst problem(and the most dangerous) involving the cord up there too, that one just IS very crucial right now.

i would simply see your primary right now for that MRI referral. its good that you already have one done to compare this newer one to. it would show possible changes really well. but this IS a needed test in light of what was just already present ya know what i mean? better safe than sorry here suz.

just make certain to actually kind of journal any changes in what you HAD been feeling and now and beyond here. any real changes could mean some level of furthering of the actual cord involvement and or new crap to have to deal with. alot of real injuries just do not always actually show themselves til the body has kind of gotten over the real 'trauma'? so you may start feeling crappy stuff over the next week or so. just keep is journaled in some way(ANY new symptoms or exascerbation of old ones). i do hope nothing was made worse for you, espescially where that cord was being compromised up there. just get this checked out as soon as you can. and x ray really is worth crap when trying to really assess the CNS as a whole. please keep me and the others here who care about you too all posted hon. take it easy for a while, K? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Im sorry to hear that. Thank goodness you were not seriously injured.
I would expect you would at the least be sore. I sure would want to know if there were any changes in the cervical area due to the accident.

I have to admitt since having cervical problems & fusion Im somewhat paranoid about car accidents. Ive been in a couple over the years & cant help but wonder if these contributed to the condiion of my neck today. One while I was pregnant with my daughter so no x-rays or much of anything was done. I remember being sore as heck, especially in the upper torso/neck but had to live with it & the only relief was soaking in a hot bath.

The one thing Im super sensitve to now is others driving. Especially those who like to hit the gas or brakes with a lead foot. I have a neice who Im forever declining to drive with as I always feel I risk increase pain or a headache any length of time Im in the car with her & my 16yr old daughter is the same, accept shes driving on her permit so I can control her driving just a bit more. My eldest hates when I climb in the car with my youngest as she worries about my neck & back. She loves her sister but is not a fan of her driving,lol.
I hope all is well & at least this happened preop & not postop. Marcia has made a good suggestion, Id rather have the MRI just to be sure nothings changed in there. Although I dont think its uncommon for surgeons to find the unexpected during surgery. The journal is a great suggestion. Ive done that in the past & went back to look up when this or that had started so its come in very handly. Good luck & yes if you can keep us informed. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 12-01-2009 at 04:04 AM.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Thank you for the support and excellent advice. I am journaling and waiting still to hear from the neurosurgeon. But all seems to be progressing so far as my recovery goes. I have sore spots galore and some "symptoms" but feel it is still too soon to know what is the expected damage and what might remain a problem. I did get a cd of all xrays from the ER to give my surgeon.

I sure will press for a new MRI. Thanks for the tip on that. But it isn't easy these days to communicate with docs. My ER experience was bewildering and I left there feeling lucky to escape. Oh, they had done the important thing - the Xrays. But as for a comprehensive assessment? Forget it.

Boy, do I hear what you're saying about being nervous for my spine. Yep. I am weepingly grateful to be alive one minute and filled with dread the next about what might come out of this jolt. SQ

Closed Thread