It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

KThurman2616 HB User
New to board- 4 level Cervical Laminectomy

I suffered from neck stiffness, shoulder muscle tightness and headaches for two years. Went to Chiropractors and PT to relieve. Come April of this year I started getting really intense headaches that wouldn't go away. Had an MRI in July that showed severe spinal stenosis, spinal fluid calcification and color change.

I had a 4 level Cervical Laminectomy surgery on Sept 17th. (C-4 thur C7)

I went for my first PT visit on Oct 19th, the PT started massaging my neck area and a pin hole in my incision started draining heavily. The release of the fluid did relieve alot of pressure in my neck area. However it freaked the PT out and I had to go over to my Dr. after the appt to have the fluid tested. I had to stay bandaged and wear the cervical collar for another week before trying PT again. I started with the PT again Oct 26th,

Been going to PT since Oct 26th, which has helped with muscle spasms, healing nerves that were damaged and breaking up scar tissue around the incision. PT has been painful, but I have improved alot since I started. I have different excercises I do at home to help relax my shoulder muscles, strenghten my neck muscles and stimulate the nerves.

I keep getting this heavy stabbing pain in the middle of my shoulder blades though. Some days my shoulder blade muscles will tighten up and swell that my shoulder muscle becomes numb. Has anyone else experienced this? I still get sharp pains if I try to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk.

Thanks..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
(male)

hilt HB User
Re: New to board- 4 level Cervical Laminectomy

HI I am new to the boards. I see that this was some time ago that you had this procedure and I hope it has improved for you. I have a 4 level laminectomy sheduled for the 29th July same as you also C4 to C7. Are you able to exercise much? I am very active and train (Karate) 6 times a week. I am apprehensive that I am going to loose my ability to continue. Did you have fusion at all?
Cheers Hilt

Last edited by hilt; 07-08-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

KThurman2616 HB User

Hilt- It has been been about 9-10 months since I had the surgery. I think Physcial Therapy was the worst part of it for me, stimulating the nerves and getting the strength back in my neck and upper back. I went to PT for about 3 times a week for 3 months then 1 or 2 times a week for about 2 months. Now a days I pretty much do everything that I did before. I was told by the neuro surgeon that it would take about a year to fully recover or longer as I am also diabetic. The surgery gave me immediately relief from the spinal headaches I was experiencing and haven't had since. You sound like your are very healthy and in good shape. The only advice I can give you is to be patient during your recovery and not push it. Your neuro surgeon can advise you on if or when you can return to your karate activities. Good luck to you and I wish you the best.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:44 AM   #4
(male)

hilt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KThurman2616 View Post
Hilt- It has been been about 9-10 months since I had the surgery. I think Physcial Therapy was the worst part of it for me, stimulating the nerves and getting the strength back in my neck and upper back. I went to PT for about 3 times a week for 3 months then 1 or 2 times a week for about 2 months. Now a days I pretty much do everything that I did before. I was told by the neuro surgeon that it would take about a year to fully recover or longer as I am also diabetic. The surgery gave me immediately relief from the spinal headaches I was experiencing and haven't had since. You sound like your are very healthy and in good shape. The only advice I can give you is to be patient during your recovery and not push it. Your neuro surgeon can advise you on if or when you can return to your karate activities. Good luck to you and I wish you the best.
Great thanks for info , sounds like you really had a good experience in terms of what you read about on some of these posts. I will give feedback on how I am going .
All the best Hilt

Old 07-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #5
(female)

KThurman2616 HB User

hilt-

I hope your surgery went well.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
(female)

spinalpain HB User

how is your recovery going? see that you are in Kansas...i am in northeast Okla and would be interested to know where you had your surgery..i am facing a C7/T1 fusion and am trying to get all the info to make an educated decision.

Closed Thread