It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

painfulneck HB User
Steroid injections in spine

Anyone had a steroids injection in the spine? I have several inj in my hip, and other parts and they were moderately painful. They make it sound like I am having a sugery with all the ??'s they asked. Just wondering, any help would be great. I go in on thursday/10th.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
(female)

nancyco14 HB User
Re: Steroid injections in spine

Had a steroid injection in C6/C7 10 days ago. He used a novacaine like anesthetic, making the injection of the steroid just about pain free. However, I had hoped for more relief; probably will need at least 1 more injection.

No need to fear the injection; it's practically painless. From the time the nurse took me to my little cubicle to get in to the gown, got the injection, redressed, until the time I was ready to leave was 35 minutes. Not a wasted minute there.

Nancy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User

I had a spinal epidural also and did have immediate relief of pain that lasted about 2-3 months. However, I had a reaction to the steroid and am no longer a candidate for any additional epidurals. I would do it again if I could stand the medication.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #4
(female)

painfulneck HB User
Smile Re: Steroid injections in spine

Thanks you all for the help. Iwasn't too worried about pain as i had them elsewhere. They told me not to eat anything after midn for my 7:30am appt and I need driver. Just seems alot more prep than previous injecton, Oh well.pn

Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
(female)

nancyco14 HB User

It seems they're planning on giving you an IV with some sedative like Versed or Valium, hence the no food restriction. I didn't have an IV, but still had to have a driver. It was a good thing because I was dizzy for a couple of hours, but I don't know why as I had no sedative other than the novacaine.
Good luck and I hope you get some relief.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I've found that different doctors prep differently. My prior PM doctor did the "no eating after midnight" rule and gave me conscious sedation (versed and fentanyl). My new PM doctor only says "eat a very light meal" in the morning. So usually I just do a small granola bar or yogurt just so I have something in my system (I just can't go without eating something in the morning).

Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #7
(female)

painfulneck HB User

Thanks again Nancyco and AZspine. I agree with you AZspine, I can't go without eating something in the morning either but I guess I'll make do. Painfulneck

Old 12-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, you will have a sedative such as Versed and probably won't remember the procedure. Any time they do an invasive type procedure (they are putting a needle in your spine) they usually have an IV going and as I have to premedicate for any procedures, they give me an antibiotic. The Versed is also given IV. They will probably tell you to lie down for the day and not do anything strenuous as you can leak CSF from the puncture site (rarely) and they want to ward off a spinal headache. It is about the same as having a myelogram in prep and aftercare.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
(female)

painfulneck HB User
Smile Re: Steroid injections in spine

Thanks goldyfm. That is alot of info i need to know. Ill let you fellow spine sufferers how it goes. painfulneck

Old 12-08-2009, 01:47 AM   #10
(male)

matt3507 HB User

Yep, sounds like conscious sedation. I have had 3 ESI's. The last one helped. Two I can't remember with the conscious sedation. The other one was a nerve root injection w/o the sed. and on an inflamed root. I will never do that again! I had one in the back and two from the front. It is very individual as far as relief goes as you can tell with all the other replies. I hope it helps, please update. matt

Old 12-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
(female)

painfulneck HB User

Thanks all for help and advice on my injection. I ended up having a triggerpoint injection in my trapezis( I know I don't have that word right). My muscle in the shoulder. He said I have some degenerative disc disease, but injected here believing the muscle is cause of most of my other sympoms. I was doing ok til today when I was hanging ornaments with my son. I started spasms back there that were getting pretty severe til I medicated and iced it.
Hopefully this will give me some relief. painfulneck

Old 12-13-2009, 07:12 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I wanted to mention that I use "Lidoderm Patches" that are prescription topical analgesic that works well on muscles in shoulder and back for spasms. You can leave on for 12 hours and they do seem to help with the pain and tension felt from the spasms. You might want to mention to your doctor about using. They are pricey but I actually cut them in half as they are rather large size and it is okay to do so. I was told I could wear up to three at a time and have done so when I really hurt! At least it is a temporary measure that bridges in between injections that seems to work well.

Closed Thread