It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

firelane HB User
2 weeks post acdf, having worsening symptoms and depression, please help

Had surgery 2 weeks ago today at c5-c7, acdf. First couple of days I was wonderful. Started out with neck and shoulder and left arm pain, mri showed surgery was neccesary due to cord compression. But now 2 weeks later, I am more depressed than I have ever been in my life, and I have trouble walking, I am off balance, almost feel drunk. I have fallen 3 times so I now have to use a cane, and I am 31!!!! Just curious why and how this could be happening now? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: 2 weeks post acdf, having worsening symptoms and depression, please help

Hi, I have posted on my experience with C5-C7 Fusion and plating before on this board. I did experience a bout of vertigo for several weeks after my surgery. It was not positional but I could be sitting perfectly still and I would get this spinning sensation and it could happen twenty times in as many minutes. It eventually resolved on it's own, even though I went to my Primary Care Physician to have it checked. They found nothing to indicate the symptom. I would check with your doctor to rule out any other cause. But I do understand how bothersome and worrisome this is to happen. I do hope eveything checks out for you as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User

I had the exact same surgery ACDF C5/6/7 with allograft and instrumentation in November of 2005. I was 37 years old at the time. I dont remember feeling dizzy or falling. I do want to say something positive. I was back in the gym after 4 months. I am fine now. You will start to feel better. Were you taking painkillers and if so how many per day and at what strength? This is a VERY important question because stopping painkillers suddenly can cause ALL of your symptoms!

Let me know please.
Good Luck, Joe.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Call your surgeon immediately. New symptoms like this need to be discussed with the doctor ASAP. I had a C5-C7 ACDF and never had anything like this at all.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Hi Firelane - please do call your doctor and report these symptoms. When you are at the point of falling you really need to be careful and take precautions for yourself until it resolves. Did the dizziness happen before your falls or after?

Recovery from these surgeries can be difficult at times and I am really sorry you are feeling depressed and having issues. When we have surgery they pump us full of anethesia and other medications, also a little more pain medications while at the hospital, for some people it takes a few weeks and this all works out of their body and then they get hit with increased pain and a little depression out of nowhere. It is your body adjusting, try to be patient.

The best thing for you to do is to back down on your activity and give your body a little more time to heal. After surgery there can be lots of swelling in your spinal tissues and cause symptoms and problems that did not exist before. Your body is giving you messages that maybe you need to slow it down a bit.

On a side note are you taking less pain medication or more than prior to your surgery? Is the medication the same you were already used to? Could it be possible medications are causing your feeling drunk and dizzy?

We all recover at different rates and you should not feel bad if it is taking you an extra week or two. I feel you will improve in the coming weeks and you need to hang in and know that we are all backing you and here if you need friends.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
(female)

firelane HB User

Went today for mri of cervical spine and ct of brain. Here are the results as they are forgein to me.
Result Impression IMPRESSION:
1. Postoperative change at C5-C6.
2. No evidence of epidural hematoma or abnormal cord signal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Result Narrative STUDY: Cervical spine MRI without contrast while 31 2009.

INDICATION: Recent surgery. Difficulty walking. Pain.

TECHNIQUE: T1 and T2-weighted images were obtained from cervical
spine.

FINDINGS: Post operative changes seen at C5 and C6.

No abnormal cord signal is seen. I do not see a significant spinal
stenosis. I do not identify an epidural hematoma.

At C2-C3 no spinal stenosis or neuroforamina narrowing is identified.

At C3-C4 mild disc protrusion is noted but no significant spinal
stenosis or neuroforaminal changes.

At C4-C5 there is mild disc protrusion to the right of midline but no
significant spinal stenosis or dural sac deformity is seen.

Through the levels of the surgery I do not identify spinal stenosis
or neuroforaminal changes.

At C7-T1 no spinal stenosis or neuroforaminal changes are noted.

At T1-T2 no spinal stenosis or neuroforaminal changes are seen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Entry Date

12/31/2009

Result Narrative STUDY: CT of the head without contrast.

DATE: 12/31/2009.

INDICATIONS: Abnormal gait.

FINDINGS: Axial imaging of the head was performed without contrast.
The ventricles and sulci are appropriate for age. There is no evidence
of acute or chronic ischemia or significant active white matter
processes. No posterior fossa abnormalities are noted. There is no
evidence of hemorrhage or extra-axial fluid collections. No masses are
present. The visualized portions of the superior paranasal sinuses are
clear. There is appropriate aeration of the middle ears and mastoid
air cells.

so what does this mean? Would love for my dr 2 tell more!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
(female)

LabGal HB UserLabGal HB User

Hi Firelane, I hope you are feeling better. Do you have someone who can help you out for a while, or who you can get in contact with to talk to in person? A friend, spouse or confidante nearby. It would be good to let someone in addition to your doctor know about your symptoms, especially the depressive feelings. People love you and are willing to help. Reach out for that help, Luv... Don't suffer alone

Closed Thread