It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
(female)

Jackie1234 HB User
Hello, new, severe neck pain

Hi everyone, my name is Jackie, I am 47 and my neck is killing me!

I have pain that starts from the top, right hand side of my neck and radiates across the top of my head and into my eyes where it feels like someone is pushing two thumbs into my eyeballs.

If I turn my head to the right, I feel dizzy and sick.

My neck and shoulders ache badly.

Some days it's tolerable and others, well, if I am 'lucky' and it happens at the weekend, I can spend the whole day on the couch trying to get comfortable..otherwise I have to go to work dosed up on OTC ibuprofen/codeine.

I had an xray 2 weeks ago and have an appointment tomorrow with my GP to discuss the results.

I just know that something has to be done and was hoping for some support/advice from all you knowledgable people. I'll let you know what the doc says and thanks in advance for any comments

Old 12-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Hello, new, severe neck pain

Jackie:

Be sure to get a copy of the x-ray report and perhaps insist on a CT and MRI if the x-ray is not conclusive. Pain such as you have can be brain related, cervical spine related, blood vessel related, etc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
(female)

Jackie1234 HB User

Hello and thanks for the reply.

Well, the doc said the xray didn't show anything major, just some age related degeneration...so he said the next step would be physio. I mentioned other tests and he said he didn't think they were needed at this time.

Thing is, if the xray is 'fine' then what is causing this?

Old 12-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

X-rays only give a good visualization of the bones. MRI shows the soft tissues, disc issues, etc. So normal degeneration (which everyone gets) can affect the discs as the spine changes.

Many doctors first recommend physio/physical therapy as it's very pricey to do an MRI and thus can't be done on everyone.

You can start with physio but let them know you've only had an x-ray so depending how physio goes you may need them to report to the physician how it's going, pain levels, etc. If at any time the pain becomes severe and sustained then call the doctor or head to an emergency room right away.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
(female)

Jackie1234 HB User

ahh right, get it now, thanks I will see how the physio goes..and if the pain becomes too bad I will go back to the doc and demand a scan or similar.

You've been a great help, thank you!

Last edited by Jackie1234; 12-31-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie1234 View Post
If I turn my head to the right, I feel dizzy and sick.
otherwise I have to go to work dosed up on OTC ibuprofen/codeine.
I had an xray 2 weeks ago and have an appointment tomorrow with my GP to discuss the results.
What you really need to do is get an MRI. Sounds like you might have some bulging disks in your neck. That's what I have. Neck pain never goes away not even with physical therapy. In fact, physical therapy can't help chronic neck pain.

Second, I used to not be able to turn my head/neck to the right or left just like you without feeling so much pain. The only thing that helped me move my neck/head is narcotic pain meds.(oxycontin, percocet etc).

As years goes by, hopefully you won't need to suffer from chronic neck pain 3 years like I did, you will need to take narcotic pain meds and nerve pain meds if you want your life back. Cause living with chronic neck pain without taking narcotic pain meds(not just ibuprofen or codeine)is not living.

Have you ever been in a car accident?.

so now anyway, what's causing this is bulging disks that I'm pretty sure you have. you might also have herniated disks.
That's why I think you really need to do an MRI as I said before. and also if you've been in a car accident, even years ago, you might have right now soft tissue damage.
If you have any further questions about that feel free to contact me.

Hope I helped you and good luck to you.

Last edited by nochange; 01-05-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Closed Thread