It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
(male)

higgrich9 HB User
Help!!!!

Hello,
I was very active growing up(I am now 50) . Played Football & Wrestled & Boxed. Had a Fusion in 1989 which was a "breeze". Now 15 yrs later & only God knows how,C4-C5 ,C5-C6 had to have 2 Disks "Decompressed" which were compressing my Spinal Cord. They also told me that I had a "Bone Spur" which was compressing the Cord but never once told me what the pitfalls were in "removing" the Spur off my Cord( although of course they say they did) nor did they say they were even going to do any procedure for the Spur. When I went to my Neurosurgeon, he told me I needed the Surgery immediately because my right arm was about 70 % paralyzed, not to mention the pain. Well, here I am Post Op 8.5 weeks & Both arms are to the point where I cannot wash my own hair, put a shirt on, and a slew of other things. Funny, after the surgery my right arm didn't change, but my left joined the right arm & I guess you could say I am really in trouble here. I still have a hard time swallowing. Will I ever get my arms back? Oh, one final note, the Doctor "Lacerated" my Dura (Spinal Cord Covering) which had to be glued shut to stop the leakage. Please, someone help!!!
Rich

Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
(male)

Cowpin8 HB User
Re: Help!!!!

Please check out the neurosurgeons at NYU hospital in Manhattan. I had the exact surgery as you and they basically saved my life over 4 years ago. I trust them with my life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Hi higgrich9, so sorry you are having problems. Easy stuff first. It is common to have swallowing problems for many weeks after the surgery. Over time it usually clears up for people. If you are still having problems 8.5 weeks after surgery with swallowing that would be a little more uncommon. Is it slowly improving or has it just remained the same?

When they do surgeries they are corrective but not in the way most people think. The surgeries are really meant to stabilize the problems and prevent even worse destruction. Sometimes there is permanent nerve damage. Sometimes you will have some regeneration of function but it may take a few years for it to get to ultimate improvement. You may need eventual PT rehab to help you build the muscles back up in your right arm. THe nerves supply the muscles and sometimes the PT will help you get some of your function back.

The left arm, might be having some problems from post-op fluid and tissue swelling. During the surgery they do have to touch our nerves and move them so you might be experiencing a little trauma. Everyone is different and recovery times can be short or very long.

Wondering by chance do you have your original MRI text? I was wondering how bad your compression was. When was the last time you saw your surgeon and what are they telling you?

Old 01-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #4
(male)

higgrich9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpin8 View Post
Please check out the neurosurgeons at NYU hospital in Manhattan. I had the exact surgery as you and they basically saved my life over 4 years ago. I trust them with my life.

Closed Thread