It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User
Back home from surgery on Monday

I arrived at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. and they took me in right away. I did have a long wait in the holding area which I had never had before so I was getting a really bad headache and muscle spasms in my shoulders. Actually this was the first time I had such a long wait.

I ended up having more problems then what they thought there would be. I was having the ACDF on the C6/C7 and cadaver bone. Well, I had 4 bone spurs, 2 on each side, which had not shown up on the x-rays or MRI's. I had a terrible headache at the base of my skull. I asked him who danced on my head that morning?? There was also a lot of scar tissue that he hadn't expected. The surgeon said he couldn't believe all the scar tissue. He did say he expected the recovery to be a long time but wondered if my fingers felts better with the tingling improving. I am always afraid to say too much positive because I might jinx it but so far the tingling is much better.He is concerned about more bone spurs forming on the back side because he said I am really bad about bone spurs.

I went home the next day after I was able to swallow some food. I was suppose to come home with a soft collar but they forgot to send it with me and I forgot it, also. They made the incision below my collar bone and I was reallly swollen so I didn't want to eat anything but when they tell you if you don't eat you don't go home then you try a few things. I had 2 bites of mashed potatoes. I am just glad to be home although I am still having a lot of coughing and sore throat but I know things will get better.

I did have an accident today because we had some snow and I had taken our little puppy out to go to the bathroom and I thought I had all the snow off my shoes but I didn't. I ended up slipping and twisting my legs and hit both knees really hard on the kitchen floor and it jarred my neck and also my lower back which I had had surgery on 2 years ago. I can hardly walk and had to get my walker out again. If I am not better by tomorrow I will be going to the doctor or ER.

I am glad the surgery is over but I sure forgot how sore I was after the surgery.

I hope everyone has a good pain free weekend and I will get back with you later.

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Back home from surgery on Monday

Congrats and good healing!

Old 01-09-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
(female)

piglet44 HB User

i too have pins and needles in my fingers but after having a laminectomy and a cyst removed from spine it has not improved. i am due to see a surgeon again as they dont know what is causing the pins and needles, so after all that surgery i am still no nearer dont think they know what they are doing here in the uk!!

Old 01-19-2010, 11:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

I ended up having to go to GP on Friday a.m. because my neck and left shoulder was hurting so bad. Actually saw the NP and she did a CT of cervical spine. They put a rush into the radiologist to have it read but to date still have not gotten the results. I am ASSUMING that everything was okay since I don't have the report back yet. The doctor's office called me yesterday but I had another doctor's appt. regarding my knee. I called the GP's office back and left 2 messages but they have still not returned my calls.

The orthopedic surgeon's PA gave me a steroid shot in the left knee because she could tell it was swollen and inflammed by the x-ray. I had had 3 shots like these before after my arthroscopy so I thought I knew what to expect. She told me it would hurt worse this time because of the angle of the needle going in my knee. When I got home I could hardly walk and she told me it could take up to 2-3 days to feel better. Happily I can report I was better this morning with knee. I am having a fever just over 100 and my face is very flushed and still a lot of left shoulder tenderness and pain and a TERRIBLE headache. I have been keeping an ice pack on my head & neck since the cervical spine surgery. I am not sure what is causing this fever but it really makes me feel bad. Nothing seems to be helping my headaches either.

Hope everyone is doing okay and those that have had recent surgeries are healing quickly and those due to have surgery will have a speedy recovery.

Gentle hugs to all
Linda

Old 01-20-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Oh my. Is your incision good, no redness-swelling-oozing? Please report unexplained fever 100 degrees and over with terrible headache to the PA. You could have a virus or infection or
pneumonia which sometimes hides when it is walking pneumonia. Take care.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Thanks NP for the response. I finally got a call back from the GP about the CT scan of cervical spine and they said everything looked good. They did ask me how I was feeling and I told them about the fever. They told me to call the surgeon and let them know and if he wanted them to see me they could or go to him. He is in Nashville which is a 2 hour drive away. So I am going to call them and see if they need to see me before my appt. next week. The fever got up over 101 last night and I didn't sleep well. It did come back down early this morning but is going back up again. It is so strange. The incision does look good this week so I don't think it has anything to do with it.

Linda

Last edited by kyma3; 01-20-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User

Hi Kyma3

Do you not have nurses who visit you after surgery at home to check on dressing and how you are - in effect to keep an eye on you? This is something we do have in the UK - I think after care is essential.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Hi ces59,
The only time I have had nurses come to my home following surgery is when I had my fusion on L5/S1 in 2008. I have had 3 cervical surgeries and they do not have home health come out. They were a big help to me for my lower back because I did get some bad infections following that surgery. Thanks for your response.

Linda

Closed Thread