It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User
Neck Help

I was in a motor vehicle accident on July 11, 2009. I was hit in the rear, then spun by a side hit. Ever since the accident I have had a non-stop headache that first began at the base of my skull and has grown into a line from the base of my skull to the top of my head. A 'skunk stripe effect'. As well as the headache, I have had bad pain in my neck. It is normally on the left side, close to my shoulder, but appears sometimes in the back of my neck. I have pain in between my shoulder blades intermittently and numbness/weakness in my left hand. I had an MRI a little over two months ago and starting physical therapy around the same time. I have therapy 3 times a week. I saw my neurosurgeon again Friday morning and he said my MRI shows "a very bad disc". He said it's a slipped disc and pointed it out to me on the x-ray. He then sent me straight to the x-ray for a flexion set to see if it moves when I move my neck. He mentioned surgery is a treatment option, but that I'm young enough that he wants to see if physical therapy and steroidal injections help (yet he mentioned that the PT 'should' have helped some by now, which it hasnt').

I only know one person who has gone through this, and she wound up having to wait over a year from her accident for surgery, and now has unrepairable nerve damage and constant pain. I know everyone's body is different, but I don't want to wind up like that. I'm only 25, I work at home on my computer, and am VERY close to losing my job due to my work production dropping so greatly (I can't stay at my computer for more than 35 min. at a time).

Just looking for some info.. Maybe, what I can expect after injections, etc. Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Neck Help

You probably had a whiplash. I'm sure your doctor has told you.

anyway, I had a severe whiplash and ended up with two bulging disks(I'm not for surgery so I was told and therefore don't need to consider surgery at that time).

Anyway, I suffer from constant never ending 24/7 chronic neck pain and sometimes back head pain. I WOULD only consider surgery when my life will be in danger(gonna be paralyzed god forbid...).

P.S never done any injections, refused those. Only taking pain meds.

Last edited by nochange; 01-10-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

nanabrown4 HB User

I was in a accident last year. A tractor trailer hit me on the drivers side. totaled my car and left me with neck problems. Had to have a disk fusion on neck last Sept. And bone from bone bank. Then it slipped out and I had blood clot on spinal cord. I couldn't use my hands or fingers. I still have numbness, coldest + swelling. When I put my head down I get a tinging feeling down my back, arms + hands. The Dr said my spinal cord was bursied from the blood clot. Has anyone been through this?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

soon2bemommy, if you have any injections, ask to be numbed and sedated, that is the only way I will have them. I have had 2 for my weak legs, the first helped immensely, and 2 for arthritis in my facet joints. I read up enough ahead of time to know not even to consider injections without being numbed and sedation. They are for pain and inflamation. I also know that there is a normal course of treatment a person must go through before having surgery, which you are doing now with physical therapy, then the injections, and surgery is usually a last resort. Did the doctor tell you if your disk moved when he did that test on you? Also, what type of therapy did you have? Physical therapy can be many different types.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Based on your user name....are you currently pregnant? If so you'd have to see if injections are an option given they use steroids and fluoroscope (moving x-ray). Just a thought, wasn't sure based on your username.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey443 View Post
Did the doctor tell you if your disk moved when he did that test on you? Also, what type of therapy did you have? Physical therapy can be many different types.
No, I haven't received the results from the x-rays. I see my neurosurgeon (the one who requested the x-rays) on Feb. 9th. Right now in physical therapy, I am using a TENS unit with a hydrocollator pack, then a stretch or two, followed by massage.
Now you have me VERY nervous about the injections! Are they very painful without numbing? I was never even given that as an option. I go on the 28th, so I assume I would need to talk to the dr prior to the injection appt?

SpineAZ, no, I am not currently pregnant. I was pregnant when I joined in 2006, but am no longer pregnant

Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Often the numbing medication is injected or applied first followed by the shot, so it may not be brought up if it's just part of their normal practice for injections. What you should ask is if they do "conscious sedation". If they do they give you versed via IV. It relaxes you, you have little or no memory of the shot, and you must have someone with you as you can't drive yourself home. I always get the sedation though I have known some who prefer to not have sedation.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
Often the numbing medication is injected or applied first followed by the shot, so it may not be brought up if it's just part of their normal practice for injections. What you should ask is if they do "conscious sedation". If they do they give you versed via IV. It relaxes you, you have little or no memory of the shot, and you must have someone with you as you can't drive yourself home. I always get the sedation though I have known some who prefer to not have sedation.
Thank you!! I plan on calling the office tomorrow and will ask about the versed. I have pretty bad anxiety, so I know that will really help.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

It's worth it if they'll do it. They often also include demerol or fentanyl in the IV as well for some pain relief. I react to demerol (not really an alergy but become ill) so they use fentanyl for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

I figured the next time I would post here would be after I got the injections, but it seems I've got another something wrong with me and I'm wondering if this is normal? The last few days my left arm has felt very tired. Like I've carried around a cement bag for half the day. It's not sore really, but achy. It feels like my arm is just dying. Each day it's getting a bit heavier. I work online so it's heck trying to type. SO many mistakes that I have to go back over again. Could this be related to my neck issues? Is this something that is 'normal'? This is not a nice feeling...

Old 01-30-2010, 05:59 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Yes indeed it could. A neck injury can cause pain or other symtoms in your upper extremeties, such as shoulders, arms, hands, fingers. Only your doctor can say for sure but I would not doubt its coming from your cervical. I had something very much like your describing & have in with my legs due to my lumbar discs. Perhaps keeping some kind of log on your symptoms & when they started & how they are progressing will be helpful to you & your doctor. I do know things can change & sometimes very quickly as far as symptoms & pain. Might be worth calling your doctor with this new developement to let them know.

As far as ESIs, everyone responds different. Ive had one set that gave me back the use of my hand so it was a blessing. Some Ive felt relief & others not so much. Good luck, Sammy

Closed Thread