It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

vmj2010 HB User
New Here

I posted this as a reply earlier but was looking for some suggestions. I'm really at a sand still and not sure what my neck step is. Do I deal with it, have the surgery, or get a second opinion. I

was browsing posts looking for information on c4-5 disk herniation and Axa's post immediately caught my attention because it all sounds so familiar only I started having the symptons 8 years ago. I was so sure it was MS even though I never once mentioned it to anyone, including all the doctors I have seen. Recently my family doc (new to the practice) came right out and called me on my cell and said he didnt think anything was wrong with me. I became an emotional wreck because I know something isn't right so i threw a fit and said I wanted to see a medical neurologist because I thought something was wrong with my nerves. I thought this because my most recent problems have been shaking in my hands and feet. So he made the appointment with the neurollogist for me and I hung up and made an appointmnt with a psychiatrist because I was really beginning to think that maybe it was all in my head.

I've been through it all as you have MRIs of every kind, tons of blood work, etc yet when I got to the neurologist, i failed the emg and nerve conduction tests in my legs. Back to the hospital for more MRIs I went.

I don't have MS - it has been ruled out with a lumbar puncture and two brain MRIs. I am being told that I have a herniated disk in my neck from an injury that took place years ago and it is pressing on my spinal cord. The thing is I don't have neck pain and I don't get headachs. My neck gets stiff but I always put that off as long stressful days at the office. The psychiatrist said my doc was wrong and that I needed to be treated for the pain in my legs. I have severe pain and severe restless leg syndrome which would keep me up all night most of the week. I started taking the meds a few months ago for rls and have been sleeping wonderful. As for the neurologist, he said my problems are all caused from my neck and that I should see a neurosurgeon because I amly only going to get worse.

My question to you or anyone is, did you find out what was wrong with you? does anyone have a C4-C5 disk herniation without the arm and neck pain?

my symptoms are: dizziness, leg pain, muscle spasms in the legs, joint pain, occasional numbness and tingling in face, arms, hand legs and feet, chronic dry eye and I have a blind spot in my right eye sever night sweats and a stiff neck. For the first 4 years I had extreme nausea and diarhea but mostly have that under control today (I was diagnosed with celiac disease but am in denial).

Looking for any Suggestions from anyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
(female)

Bobbyboo HB User
Re: New Here

Hi

It is really demoralising being told by a medic that there is nothing wrong with you when you are suffering pain and other symptoms, especially long term. I think a lot of us on this board have taken years to be properly diagnosed and have been offered conflicting opinions along the way.

With regard to your disc herniation - do you have a copy of the MRI Report of your neck? There are some very experienced people on this board who might be able to give you some useful input.

Bobbyboo x

Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

You can have problems from a disc in your neck without pain in your neck, and it can cause problems in your legs, since your spinal cord may be compressed, which affects everything below. You should follow through and see a neurosurgeon.

Old 01-18-2010, 04:38 AM   #4
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User

Hi vmj2010

I don't have any neck pain - my pains are like scalding burning sensations in my arms plus pins and needles and numbness - I thought it was repetitive strain injury. Anyway an MRI scan showed the following. I have been trying to find out from others what the surgery risks are as I am terrified:

My MRI scan shows a large disc/osteophyte bar narrowing the spinal canal to just under 6 mm. At this level (i think C6/7) the spinal cord shows a focal abnomality indicating the effects of compression. The neurologist says this is what is causing my neurological symphoms (pain in both arms). He says surgery is the only option and has referred me to a neuro-surgeon.

It has taken 7 months to get this diagnosis - prior to this I have had osteopathy, physio, acupuncture, tons of diclofenac, co-codamol and nothing works. However, gabapentin as a medication is reducing the neurologcal pain and the chinese doctor I saw gave me patches to put over the area of the spine and they certainly reduced swelling but I am running out of them. Unfortunately she was the acupuncturist and I have beebn told none of these types of treatment will work and I am not sure she will just prescribe the patches without the treatment. The patches seem to be available on the internet however but only in the States - nothing here in the UK.

My GP has never had a patient needing complex neck surgery so I am not able toget much advice here in the Uk and we don't seem to have any health boards like this in the UK. Advice welcome.

Closed Thread