It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
(female)

sattergren HB User
Can someone please tell me what these MRI results mean in plain English?

I am clueless and just getting more confused and worried as I look up these terms. This is from an MRI w/o contrast.

Moderate to large disk defects are present at both C5-6 and C6-7. Considered a severe central canal stenosis at both levels, more severely at C6-7 than C5-6. This does compromise the AP diameter canal and is considered to impress upon the cord more severely at C6-7 than C5-6. There is no remaining CSF interspace noted between the disk and cord at C6-7 and a sliver remaining at C5-6 on sagittal sequencing. This defect appears to be slightly greater and extending somewhat inferiorly to the left at the C6-7 level. There is mild to moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis at C5-6 and C6-7. There is not considered defined abnormal cord signal within the cord at these two levels.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Can someone please tell me what these MRI results mean in plain English?

I am sorry you are getting anxious, I can help you out. First, take a big deep breath. Overall there is nothing extremely horrible in the words - believe me there are people who have reason to be scared. For you these results aren't to be dismissed, it is good you are trying to understand. Let's look at it together and maybe I can put your mind a little at ease.

I hope you read and can reply, I am interested to hear a little more about your symptoms.

When you speak to the doctor get it clarified but I believe the radiologist is calling a disk bulge or herniation a "disk defect." Over time as we age, or unfortunately after damage from sports, or accidents and the like, our disks begin to dry out and shrink and weaken. When they deteriorate they don't do their job of cushioning between the spine bones (vertebrae) and things start rubbing and pressing on other structures. Also when the disks weaken the outer ring weaken and the inner gel like material starts bulging and sometimes escapes out. Somewhere in between this is what is happening to your disks. So what I believe is happening is the disc material is pressing in the part of the canal where your spinal cord runs and it is narrowing and pressing on your cord. When there is no CSF (that is the fluid that surrounds your spinal cord to cushion it from the bones around it, that means your cord can further be rubbed, pinched or irritated. That is always when they will recommend surgery to correct this problem. The bilaterial foraminal stenosis is in the little canals that are part of the vertebrae structure that nerve roots come off your spinal cord and go on to your body parts, like arms, legs, etc.. Sometimes these get narrowed by disk material sometimes by bone spurs. When this forminal rubs is can cause shooting nerve pain in your arms all the way to your hands. Out of all this your cord does not have abnormal signal and that is very good news.

You need to find a good neurosurgeron or orthopedic spine surgeon and get them to recommend how to proceed. Most likely you need to address these problems by some surgery like an ACDF at C5-7. This is a very common surgery, the most important thing is to find the best doctor you can where you live.

I hope I have helped you out and if you have additional questions let me know! Best Regards, NP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I just wanted to say you did a great job explaining NP & I know if that was my post I'd feel a whole lot more at ease. Ive found bone spurs can exist but not always show on film. Good luck & thank goodness for members like NP that take the time to share such valuable knowledge. Sammy

Old 01-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #4
(female)

sattergren HB User

Thank you for your response. It was just confusing me because everyone else's results I read on here mention things like bulge and herniation. So I didn't know exactly what mine meant. And they wanted to send me straight to the University of Iowa neurosurgery department which is number 22 in the nation. I panicked so they scheduled me to see a orthopedic surgeon next week for a second consultation and he will coordinate everything with the University of Iowa for me to go there. I live in an area that doesn't have much of anything!

Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

You got some great information from NP and I also agree with Sammy about some things don't always show up on the x-rays also. I just had my 3rd neck surgery and this was C6/C7 and there were 4 bones spurs and scar tissue that didn't show up on my myelograms and x-rays. I will say that the numbness and pain that I was having in both my hands and the left arm are getting better every day. I am having problems with a unexplained fever but this surgery actually has gone better then my previous surgeries. Just make your list and ask your questions but once I start having numbness, tingling and pain then I go with the surgery. I waited too long on my first cervical spine surgery and I did have permanent nerve damage and I don't want to do that again. The surgery can be very scary especially if never going through one before but I hope you can get all your questions answered to your satisfaction. Take care and there are some excellent people on this board to get you through.

Linda

Old 01-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User

What sort of permanent damage do you have? Is there nothing that can be done?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
(female)

sattergren HB User

I'm not sure if your aiming the question at me or the people that responded to my post. I posted another post regarding the entire situation. I just had the MRI and am seeing a surgeon next week. I have no idea what my diagnosis is, what caused it at my age, and whether my symptoms will go away or not. I guess I will know more next week.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
(female)

MJml HB User

Sattergren??? How didcthings go in Iowa ?

Old 03-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
(female)

MJml HB User

Help... NP - I recvd my MRI results last week waiting to get in to see neurogist. I understand most of my MRI yet, I am having problems with tingling in hands and feet. See parts of my MRI here: At c-4 c-5 there is a posterior disc protrusion with narrowing of the ventral thecal space, but no central canal stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing. At c-5 c-6 there is a posterior disc protrusion eccentric to the right with mass effect on the right aspect of the cervical spinal cord with mild central canal stenosis. There is a mild left and no right neural foraminal narrowing.
C-6-7 there is no posterior disc abnormality, central canal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
Impression shows no evidence of ligamentous injury. Please explain?

Last edited by MJml; 03-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
(female)

Jackie S HB User

Hi I am new to this forum stuff, and I am trying to find out what my MRI results mean I would like them translated in English, how do I go about that?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
(female)

Jackie S HB User

Hi,
I am trying to find out what my MRI results mean??? It reads that C3-4 show arthropathies with moderate left neuroforaminal narrowing, C4-5 narrowing, as well as right C5-6 protrusion and mild stenosis, protrusion in C6-7 with mild stenosis. And then it says, she did have facet arthropathy and uncovertebral asteophytes noted as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 06:14 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Jackie,
You need to go to the top of the page & hit new thread. This is an older thread & you'll want to start your own. Good luck I hope you get the information your looking for. Sammy

Closed Thread