It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #16
(male)

yelahamer2 HB User
Re: c5, c6 problems and shoulder and bicep pain

estella3, and others with these type symptoms.
Search: nerve root impingement/ruptured disc C5C6. Symptoms you describe suggest you have a ruptured disc and nerve root impingement at C5C6 as I do. These symptoms can include the entire upper back and chest. Shoulders, hands, arms. What has your doctor told you? Have you had an MRI done. I was told by one doctor that I would just have to learn to live with the pain. I told him that was not an option, but workers comp cut me off anyway. I've been (along with an attorney) trying to get treatment for 14 months now. Ins co just stonwalls every way they can. I will get something done before it is over.

What have you tried to ease the pain? Heating pad helps. Light exercise may help as long as you don't get to crazy. As for doctors giving something that will really help with the pain, they are very hesitant to give strong meds, guess they are afraid we'll get hooked. State laws also limit what they can give too.

My brother lives in FLA. he has all kinds of back problems and has had cancer which damaged his joints. His doctors give him anything he wants for pain. I live in Ala. these guys here don't want to give you anything but ULTRAM or LORTAB 5. I did get Oxycodone 10 after my hip replacement surgery but only while i was in the hospital and physical rehab facility. Then doc gave me Darvacet, which was useless. Tylenol worked better. I finally convinced him that while I was trying to get back on my feet I needed something better than Darvacet. He gave me Tylox5, (xycodone/tylenol) it does help as long as I take it before I really get into the hard pain mode.

Nerve impingement at C5C6 causes an array of symptoms. I found many articles describing symptoms. I'm sure you will recognise this as soon as you read about it. Educate yourself as to what is going on with you. I had one neuro-surgeon tell me to stay off the internet and not try to treat myself. I simply told him if he would answer my questions and stop beating around the bush I could do that, but I was not getting the info I wanted from him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 02:38 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Anybody here knows howcome I have two bulging disks with chronic pain in the neck without any symptoms with shoulders, hands arms. It's only the neck. But it's enough!. I suffer daily and need sleeping pills cause cannot rest my neck on the pillow at all times, anybody here has this type of problem of resting neck on the pillow? I've never met anyone here in this board who has/had this problem. I can't believe I'm the only one with this problem. My doctor told me he practised medicine for years and never met anyone like me

It's only the percocet that helps or the oxycontin then I can rest my neck in the pillow, great life.

I can't believe your doctor doesn't want to prescribe you more than percocet 5? I didn't last much on percocet 5, had to increase to 10. high tolerance to narcotic. It's probably the metabolism I have, no wonder I'm skinny.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Estella, I had severe shoulder pain. My condition progressed where I could not move my arm without setting off spasms in the surrounding areas, ribs, chest neck, etc... I wore a sling for awhile just to keep the arm/shoulder comfortable. Even the weight of the arm hanging down bothered me.
Had an MRI of the cervical but it did not who enough to cause my problems. There was what was considered a minor herniation. I ended up having decompression of the shoulder only to find the pain & symptoms did not improve enough. Then after starting PM he sent me for another MRI which showed the herniation was not so mild anymore. My shoulder hurt like heck & it would radiate down. Before the surgery it went into both shoulders.

Your right it does feel like a shoulder problem & can be really confusing. I had not neck pain for the longest time.
I ended up with bursitis, tendonitis, arthritis & bone spurs in my left shoulder but yet the worst was coming from the cervical. Hard to believe but the decompression did not give me the use of my arm back due to the herniation.

I had the C5-6 fusion 18 months ago & it did help with much of the pain, not all but at least I got the use of my arm back. That took along time due to the time I could not use my left arm.
I hope you get it figured out soon. Good luck, Sammy

Closed Thread