It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
New here- cerival myelopathy

I'm waiting to see my neurosurgeon Tuesday for official MRI results, but he dx'd me with cerival myelopathy by looking at my reflexes, symtoms, strength, etc.

My right arm and leg have been numb for at least a month now. The numbness, lack of coordination with them is increasing. At first it was just arm, but now I feel weakness when trying to push on the gas pedal in the car.

Pain started about 3 years ago. I know then I had 3 herniated discs, (c5,6,7) and I was given an epidural injection. It worked for about a year, year in a half. All the time I continued to see my chiropractor. Then about a year and a half ago it go bad again. I had 2 injections which did little and was referred to a surgeon. I put it off for the past year and a half because even though I had daily pain, I've also been dealing with significant issues in my ankle that I've had multiple surgeries on. But now, the numbness won't go away, I have trouble holding a pencil, typing, anything.

So, I'm assuming the herniated discs have caused the myelopathy? Are my odds good that the feeling/strenght will come back? I'm scared to death of surgery and have put it off for so long now. Has anyone had any luck with conservative measures at this point or is surgery my only option for recovery?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #2
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User
Smile Re: New here- cerival myelopathy

I feel the same about surgery but I am coming to terms with it - it has to be better to get well and so many here and others I have spoken to have gone through it successfully. I too am see my NS on Tuesday - I feel I will be told there is no option but surgery.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User
Re: New here- cerival myelopathy

Sounds like you've had a lot of medical stuff on your plate lately. I read that with interest because I, too, used conservative treatment for a C5-6 herniated disk and bone spur problem for 3 years while I dealt with other front burner issues. I've just had the cervical ACDF surgery 2 week ago. In my case I went from PT, NSAIDS, a course of predinisone to epidural injections. I had about 6 injections across the 3.5 years. They helped quite a lot until the last one. When the last epi didn't help, docs wanted EMG testing and an MRI. And then I couldn't get them to even try another epi. They literally pulled the plug on me and said it was the end of the road and time to consult the surgeon. Surgeons weren't half so cut and dried. None were alarmed but agreed nothing good would come of waiting and no hope for this to heal on its own. I had to make the call. And I chose the surgery because I'd run out of effective options. When pain management people tell you its time to see the surgeons they're telling you they aren't willing to help you mask the pain anymore. Game over, as far as I was concerned.
I guess I'm taking the time to detail this because what options one has can depend simply on ones providers. If I could have tried a few more epis, my surgeon would have been fine with it. Oh, I suppose I could have shopped for a provider who'd have done them, too. I didn't because I agreed it was time for surgery. I've given this problem as much time as I wanted to so I was ready. SQ

Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

So how was the surgery? How painful is it? Can you still move your neck or do you notice it is fused in spots? Did you have a cadavar bone or your own bone? How long was the surgery?

Old 02-01-2010, 10:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi i am just wondering how any of your chiro adjustments actually went here considering you now have myelopathy? did you EVER actually have an appt with him and you suddenly felt a big or impactful worsening of your actual symptoms?espescially when the leg involvement started up? while chiros do have their place, when it comes to the actual c spine, i would not allow any chiro to touch it with a ten foot pole since soo many possible problems can occur when they are doing what are basically 'blind adjustments" there? meaning they cannot actually even SEE what IS being possibly shifted even into a cord even? they just scare me with what i have learned and been thru with my c spine? our c spines are just so much more heavily innervated than the rest of the spine along with having our major venous and arterial blood flows going right thru that same area? things are just a bit more "scrunched' together within a much smaller area too. just alot of things can occur within that c spine that are not so truely impactful in other areas of our spinal.

what I am more concerned about here is the myelopathy alone being Dxed in you now? that can only come from ONE possible reason/place? when you get those MRI results back, unfortunetly it will more than likely state you have at least some level of actual cord damage/impact or at the very least real compression on your cord right now. the hyperreflexia you have and combined with myelopathy just IS from cord involvement/compression? i am only assuming when you mentioned reflexes that your NS saw that they just WERE very much more 'brisk"(a kick out vs the more normal bounce out)? these are just what comes along with cord involvement or spinal cord injury as i now have in my c spine. believe me, i am not trying to scare you or freak you out here, just trying to prepare you for what will probably just be in that report, to what actual degree is up in the air right now. i am sorry to have to even mention this, but this just is going to be a part of your MRI hon. trust me, your NS already knows that this is going to be there just based upon the Dx he gave you and what occured during your neuro exam? the good thing here is in most cases, depending upon just how really impacted that cord is, it can be relieved with surgery. when you get that report, make certain to obtain your very own copy of it for YOUR medical files and so you can type out that very important 'summary" at the very end here for us to see it? we can help decipher it for you.

when you had that MRI done three years ago just what did it state about ANY possible cord involvement then? if you either have a copy of THAT report or can just obtain one along with the new one from your doc, that really would help in giving you the best possible advice and to see what actually could have been accelerated even by chiro adjustments too? while some of this is just what comes with age and having something wrong up there, its also things that we do too along the way that can make things get worse too. unfortuently as good as chiros CAN be for some things, on that flipside they can also make certain things worse too. it just is always the real risk of seeing one. you just and anyone seeing one or contemplating it needs to remeber the very basic part of what this involves,the 'adjustments'? this moves things shifts things and they cannot always just know that what they did was not something they should have or its just how the discs or vertebrae moved? once you have symptoms that were NOT there prior to an adjustment, its just time to get a new MRI done just to make certain that what they just did or have been progressively doing is not doing anything to you to worsen or impact aras that were not impacted in the beginning kind of thing?

i really do hope your MRI comes back with minimal involvement of your cord area kris, really. and what else is there will also dictate truely what needs to be done at this point as well. but if there is ever actual compression upon your cord, espescially if this is indeed impacting the lower torso too from the c spine, in that instance the compression truely just has to be relieved the sooner the better in almost every case. the fact that some of the more profound newer symptoms have not been there very long bodes really WELL for you as far as possible permenant damage goes? it would appear that the compression just recently impacted the cord in some way? and that alone, with you getting this MRI done when you did probably has saved the cord from what could have become much worse if you were still getting the chiro adjustments with real compression upon the cord now? please do NOT see that chiro at all until after you have fully discussed it with your NS. too risky for you to continue considering what just occured or set into the cord level now? something is just impacting your cord level. the severity of it will hopefuly show well upon the MRI films. i really wasn't sure if i should mention all this too you before your appt, but honestly going in there with this knowledge at least allows you to prepare some questions for him? i hope things are not too bad in there kris. good luck and please do let us know what you find out. and DO obtain your own copy of that report too. marcia

Old 02-01-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marcia,

Thanks for you reply. I don't remember any case where the chiropractor made it worse, but I will put off seeing him until after my appt. and I'll be sure to ask my NS about it.

As for the relexes, yes, jumpy. He showed me how they were so jumpy that they made the other side jump a little too.

MRI report 3 years ago I can't find, but if I remember correctly it said herniated discs at C-4,5,6 or maybe it was 5,6,7. It was 3 of them and I know 5 and 6, but can't rememer the other.

I will get a copy of my MRI report either today from the MRI place or tomorrow at my NS office.

I'm going on a cruise on Friday and I'm hoping something can be done to relieve some of the pain in my shoulder blades until I can get back. I will ask him about that too.

Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: New here- cerival myelopathy MRI results help?

Okay, I got my report. It doesn't seem nearly as bad as it hurts and more importantly, the numbness and lack of coordination I have on my right side.

Here's what it says. Can anyone help me understand it?

C6-7 There is a posterior midline annular tear and focal disc protrusion creating mild anterior thecal sac effacement that does not appear to encroach on the lateral recesses or neural foramen. The changes on the current exam appear less severe than those described on the previous MRI report and the current findings may represent partial resorption of the previosuly described larger disc abnormality.

Looking at both MRI's though, the disc now looks like it is pressing out way more than the last one. But, we'll see what the NS says tomorrow.

So, if it is looking better, than why so much more weakness, numbness, etc in my arm and leg? The pain has increased since the MRI, but the numbness etc is the same.

Thanks!

Closed Thread