It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

mykinzie10 HB User
Are Steroid Injections Painful?

Hello. Ok. In the morning Im having a Steroid Injection with Lidocaine in my spine and all of a sudden, I'm getting nervous about it. Is it a painful procedure at all? Afterwards, will it be painful at all. I think I've read the wrong thing about it, (the horror stories) and now am overly-concerned about it all. If I know a little bit more what to expect, I will feel alot better about it. Thank you for any helpful ideas and suggestions and information on it. mykinzie aka marla.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Re: Are Steroid Injections Painful?

YES! Sorry to say but it does. The good news is it only hurts for a second. They put stuff in the injection area so that it gets numb so that doesn't hurt. The thing that hurts is the medication going through you. It was mostly down one leg for me. Than it is over. No more pain! I think it took a day or two for it to work completely. Don't worry, you can do it. It is not that bad. Good Luck.

Last edited by elle45; 02-02-2010 at 04:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
(male)

speedbird HB User

Hi, I had one today in my lower back to help with my prolapsed disc. It was less painful than a trip to the dentists. My legs felt a bit funny afterwards and I'm struggling to sleep now (hence on the net at past midnight!)
Don't worry about it, walk in the park!
Cheers

Old 02-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #4
(female)

mykinzie10 HB User

Hi. Well I sure appreciate the replies and support very much. The problem is they wrote my appt. For 10:00 am. So I was there at 9:30. Then, at the clinic, it was on the computer for 2:00. So who do you think was right?? Well of course not the patient! So they acted like I was at fault and wouldn't answer me if I was in trouble since I couldn't stay for 2:00 pm. On such short notice I had NO ride home after the procedure. I'm so afraid after hearing how these PM drs. Are always cutting people off there care for the littlest things! They did reschedule me for 2 weeks so do you think that's a good sign?? I am just on the Fentanyl 25 mcg patch now. This whole situation makes me uneasy since they seem to treat so unfairly. Anyone have any suggestions of anything else I should do with this situation? Thank you! Marla

Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

My PM always gives me Ativan 2 mg to take one hour before the procedure. It really helps with the anxiety which seems to, in turn, help with any discomfort I have with the procedure....Janiee

Old 02-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

Hi Maria,
First, just thought I'd share - I've had many cervical, lumbar, and lately, SI joint block type injections. I sometimes have severe vasovagal episodes when needles are involved i.e., I pass out and my BP destabilizes badly. So, I have to have IV sedation. Incredibly, I still often have to do battle with providers for the IV sedation. I've fought for it, been denied, passed out, tanked the BP and then spent hours recovering only to have the flustered doc browbeat me for not insisting on it cuz, heck, do you have any idea how dangerous that was???? So, I insist. The amount of sedation is usually so light that I'm barely aware of it. But I do believe it helps and it keeps my bp up. Plus, the IV is already in so if needed, other meds can be given quickly. So that's one aspect.
Then, I've had some that hurt a bit but none that were very terrible. I've never gotten a spinal headache, luckily. I have had a few that left me in more pain for a week or so after. First sore and then a higher level of pain. If you can stand dental novacaine, i think you don't have to be overly anxious about the shots.
Finally, I have had epis at 4 different outfits. 3 of these were pain management outfits though I was not there for anything other than the shots meaning they were not managing me or my meds. I saw and heard many things at these places that profoundly disturbed me in the way some clients were treated. And it is of course so hard because we need these providers. We can't go it alone. If you got you apt reset, I'd say you have handled the situation pretty well. I just want you to know that I am not shocked to hear that you feel unhappy about this incident. Anyone would be. I'm sorry you have a 2 week longer wait though. That is really too bad. Are you feeling a little better now that some time has passed?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
(female)

mykinzie10 HB User

Ok. That sounds ver reasonable to me. I just didn't know what to expect so I appreciate that suggestion a lot! Marla

Old 02-12-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB UserKasey443 HB User

I have had epidural injections in my low back for stenosis, and SI injections for arthritis. I do not know if these are the same injection you will be getting. I did read up on the ones I would be getting, quite a bit ahead of time and saw that the people who were numbed and sedated were extremely happy. The ones without numbing and sedation were not at all, the ones with just numbing said it wasn't that bad. I then insisted on being numbed and sedated, where you are awake but barely remember anything if at all. Both injections went well then. Also, there may be other PM doctors, you could ask around and find out who most people go to and like and go from there. You do not have to stay with somebody you are not comfortable with. It is your call what is done to your body, and who does it. My doc recommended one who is well known by her patients for not feeling or remembering the injections she gives. I have gone to her ever since. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread