It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
(female)

lynnchat8 HB User
Degenerative Disk Disease in Neck

I had an MRI done in Sept. 2009. Here are the results. Not sure what to do next.

At c5-6 there is a central disc bulge with mild mass effect on the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. Both neural foramina are patent bilaterally. At c6-7 there is a small posterior disc bulge with mild mass effect on the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. Both neural foramina are patent bilaterally. Mild degenerative disc disease and osteoarthritis.

The pain has gotten a lot worse since I had this done. I have taken everything I can think to help with the pain and nothing works. I can not lay on my right side at all because of the pain in my right arm.

I have an appointment with doctor Thursday so she can referr me to a neurosurgeon.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Degenerative Disk Disease in Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnchat8 View Post
The pain has gotten a lot worse since I had this done. I have taken everything I can think to help with the pain and nothing works. I can not lay on my right side at all because of the pain in my right arm.

I have an appointment with doctor Thursday so she can referr me to a neurosurgeon.
Hello lynnchat. I was just wondering. Have you ever been injured?. (years ago even).

Sounds like this neck pain you have is chronic. I've been trying lot's of meds for this but the only thing that really helps are narcotic pain meds and sometimes doctor add to it neurontin(gabapentin). On it own gabapentin is not enough but together with narcotic pain meds it helps fight this horrible pain your'e experiencing.

I don't know much how to explain MRI's finding. perhaps somebody here can help with that. You have 2 bulging disks just like I do and they're probably pressing somewhere on the nerves and causing you pain other than the osteoarthritis and therefore ibuprofen won't be enough. It's called nerve pain.

I hope you find a good doctor who will rx those type of pain meds for you.good luck to you and feel better

Please let us know how things are. thank you.

Last edited by nochange; 02-11-2010 at 04:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User
Re: Degenerative Disk Disease in Neck

Hi lynn, my MRI read pretty much the same as yours did for the past few years I have lived with the pain and when tylenol stopped working I sought help from my doctor and got on pain meds. Then this month I finally couldn't take the increasing pain and had an ACDF fusion surgery done. Now some of my problems, the stenosis and DDD and arthritis as well as one disk bulge I have had since the 1990's but half of those years the pain let up and I got better... then it returned with a vengeance in 2008. I hope you get better hon and let us know what the neuro says. ps- don't let the pain get the better of you, don't feel bad if you must get on pain medication either, most of us have to do that.

Closed Thread