It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
(female)

sizemoreb HB User
cervical problems

I am asking for help understanding a report I recieved today from my docotor on a MRI that I had.

Report states that I have a 3mm dics bulging at c4/c5 with endplate osteophytic spurring anteriorly and posteriorly with comression of the ventral dural sac. But ther is no cord compromise.

CAN ANYONE HELP EXPLAIN IN TERMS I CAN UNDERSTAND. THANK YOU.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: cervical problems

Hi - I know it seems like mumbo jumbo but actually it is easy to understand.
In our neck (cervical) the vertebrae are numbered C1,2,3,4,.. you have a disc bulge at level C4-5. Our discs that are in between the vertebrae have a fibrous outer band and inside a gel like material. It says you have a bulge - think kind of like a marshmallow when you compress it how it bulges out. It appears the material in in tact, just "squished". 3mm is not too large a bulge. The endplate is the long edge of the vertebrae that touches the disc. Both the top and the bottom of each vertebrae are capped with a thin cartilage pad called the 'Vertebral End-Plate' This cartilage does not run the entire length of the vertebrae and where the cartilage isn't bone is exposed and that is a common place for people to develop bone spurs (osteophytic ridge) associated with degeneration of the disc. The bulge is pressing on the dural sac, this is the material that surrounds our spinal cord, it is common for bulges to rub on that - but the good news is that it is not compressing on the cord itself. Out of all your report the bulge is the thing they will focus on - the bone spurs are not in places where they generally will cause problems.

Generally they will recommend very conservative treatment. Sometimes bulges will shrink back. Usually a period of rest, light activity, and depending on symptoms PT, medications, and even epidural injections if called for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread