It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
1 week until ROI-C implant

On Feb 23 I will be having an ROI-C implant at C6-7. so far only one person on here has responded about having had this done. Anyone else? I want to know what to expect after surgery. In the mean time I am taking oxicodone for the arm/shoulder pain which is excruciating.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #2
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User
Re: 1 week until ROI-C implant

elle, i will be watching your journey here hon. At this early date I must say i am impressed with having the ROI-C implant used on me. My neuro is likely the best one in my state and if he says it's the way to go i'm with him. Now, after surgery you will wake up and be given pain meds and you will most likely *if your doc ordered one* have your collar around your neck, i had one. I was eating jello a few hours after surgery. I chose to stop the pain shots and go to pills soon after surgery. I know how very horrible that arm and shouder pain was hon, trust me. It was such a relief to wake up from surgery free of that pain!!!! I have had pain and continue to have some only it is just sporadic and not bad at all. The pain i have is mostly in the right side but that unrelenting pain in my left shoulder blade/ arm/ deltoids, neck and muscles going to my left hand is so gone! You will have pain after surgery, i did and mine got worse but it was from muscle pain from the surgery and they go in there and have to move everything around so you will be sore. They will release you with pain meds and probably a good muscle relaxer as well. Use these don't try to put up with the pain. I will be back again with more later

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Did they go in through the front or the back of your neck? Mine will be the front, but they went in through the back 2 yrs ago when I had the laminectomy.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User

Hi elle, they went anterior- through the front and I was told by surgeon that this is much better than going through the back. one has more pain and longer recovery going through the back he told me. So you've already had a posterior surgery in the past.. You will be much surprised at how much easier this method through the front is on you. I went for my first post op appt the other day and am going to be giving an update on that other thread soon so watch for it hon... Won't be long for you elle, only a few more days

Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Good Morning Bonnie, You are the only one on here that I can find that has had this procedure done so I hope you don't mind all the questions. I still have young children that i have to get out to school in the morning. Will I be able to drive soon after the surgery? I also take care of some Senior Citizens, light house work, shopping, laundry, take to appointments. I have made arrangement for the first week. Is that realistic? Or should I plan on being out of commission a bit longer? What are your limitations after surgery, and how long? Thanks, Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebell444 View Post
Hi elle, they went anterior- through the front and I was told by surgeon that this is much better than going through the back. one has more pain and longer recovery going through the back he told me. So you've already had a posterior surgery in the past.. You will be much surprised at how much easier this method through the front is on you. I went for my first post op appt the other day and am going to be giving an update on that other thread soon so watch for it hon... Won't be long for you elle, only a few more days

Old 02-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User
Arrow Re: 1 week until ROI-C implant

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle45 View Post
Good Morning Bonnie, You are the only one on here that I can find that has had this procedure done so I hope you don't mind all the questions. I still have young children that i have to get out to school in the morning. Will I be able to drive soon after the surgery? I also take care of some Senior Citizens, light house work, shopping, laundry, take to appointments. I have made arrangement for the first week. Is that realistic? Or should I plan on being out of commission a bit longer? What are your limitations after surgery, and how long? Thanks, Elle
Elle, good morning! So glad you and I are online at the same time. Ok, glad you asked me these questions because I now have some answers.. I went to my first post-op appt with the neuro exactly 13 days after my surgery. He told me I could drive but not long distances- I took him to mean over 100 miles but I don't go over 30 miles anywhere anyhow. So I would say 2 weeks depending on your surgeon, and you should be able to drive. This really is pretty good because I've heard tell of some not being able to drive for over a month and that was what I was prepared for and when he told me I already was given the permission to drive it shocked me.

As far as your activities, as long as it's not lifting too much you should be fine with what all you do. I'm wanting to say that it was this monday that I started feeling far less pain and was able to do much more physically than before.. and lets see that would have been exactly 10 days post-op

Looking back on him telling us that the ROI-C was the way to go, now I can really agree 100 % it's far less invasive, no dealing with range of motion bigtime problems. I feel like I have excellent range of motion and it's getting better every day. He gave me a sheet on my post op appt of isometric neck excersizes to do. I'm so glad you're going to get the ROI-C. It's relatively new is why many have not heard of it. There is no plates or rods with it. did your surgeon show it to you yet? It's so tiny. Little square green looking thing forgot if it's rubber or plastic but one of the two. Just beware elle that when you wake up from the surgery you will feel like you've been run over by a semi As well as a tornado lol. It's not fun those first few days at all. And you, like me will probably be worried that it didn't work because of all the pain. but it's ok, they go in there and re-route nerves, muscles are shoved around, you are twisted, your body goes through a lot. I think the surgery was almost 2 hrs long is all. Insist on getting the pain pump. I was supposed to get it but they didn't use it on me and the shots didn't do too well.

If there is anyway, could you possible make arrangements for 10 days instead of 7? and if there is any way at all, look at the best bet as 14 days if possible. Since you have young children, you are younger than me. I am in my mid fourtys and I did well, you will too finally will be able to play with your kids and as I say now, "have a life". Don't tell anyone but I started doing LIGHT housework a few days after i got home. I just am not one to sit around. But please don't push it. And if you can, wear the soft collar most the time like I did. I think it speeded my healing process. Did your surgeon say you are going to be wearing one? More later hon

Old 02-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Bonnie, you have really helped ease my mind. I will make arrangements for two weeks. I am not younger than you, maybe even older (47) I just got a big surprise for my 40th birthday LOL.
I'm glad you are doing so well. Don't push yourself. No one wants to go through all this again. I am the same way, not one to sit still. Well this is going to be different. I am going to do absolutely nothing for 2 weeks (if I can get away with it). Boy my family is in for a big surprise.
Thanks Again, Elle

Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User

lol shows what i know hehee--im 43 so we are practically the same age ditto and for sure about pushing ourselves. I'm so excited for you!!! i'll be here

Closed Thread