It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #1
(male)

Poppa John HB User
Synthes ProDisc-C disc replacement (anyone had this?)

While researching ACDF surgery I came across some information on the Synthes ProDisc-C disc replacement surgery. It looks interesting and possibly a much shorter recovery time than bone graft/fixation procedure.

If anyone is familiar with this procedure, please respond with your experience.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #2
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User
Re: Synthes ProDisc-C disc replacement (anyone had this?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
While researching ACDF surgery I came across some information on the Synthes ProDisc-C disc replacement surgery. It looks interesting and possibly a much shorter recovery time than bone graft/fixation procedure.

If anyone is familiar with this procedure, please respond with your experience.
Good morning poppa, I forgot if you are having a single fusion or a double. I think you said single, all I know is I looked into the disk replacement a little prior to my fusion surgery and thought it sounded great, until i had read a few threads on another board where some were having troubles with the ADR's they had. I'm sure many do great with them though. I heard that people are choosing them over the fusions due to the fact that you will have possible adjacent disk problems following any fusion. My surgeon told me that it IS possible that after my fusion- say a good 5-10 years that we may have to go back in and look at the upper and lower disks on me. I think I'm going to take some time- have nothing else to do, and research this a bit for you john over the next few days. It's interesting. If you go with fusion, see if it's possible to get the ROI-C like I had. Just was available in the past year or so and my surgeon touts it. More later

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Newbackguy HB User

I have 3 Prodisc-L in my low back (2004). I was in the FDA study for the Prodisc-C but unfortunately got the fusion. Since then the fusion destroyed the the 2 disc above and 2 below my fusion. So I am presently appealing BC/BS to get approval for for 4 Prodisc-C's.

There is another ADR out that failed in Europe, and should never been approved here. Unfortunately all disc were deemed a poor choice. I have been completely pain free from my low back down since I had the Prodisc surgery. I also believe that if I had won the FDA lottery and got the Prodisc-C instead of the fusion I would have a normal life now. Instead I live in pain, and survive on Oxy Percocet, and other meds.

I hope this helps. I hope you find relief,

Old 04-06-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
(male)

Poppa John HB User

When I saw the NeuroSurgeon and asked about the ProDisc-C he said he had been unable to get any insurance company to approve their use (still experimental). He also told me that I would not be a candidate for them anyway as he was going to have to remove so much of the lower portion of C-5 to get to the bone spurs on the back of the vertebra. Just my luck. Haven't had surgery yet. Can't get an answer from employer as to time off from work.

Closed Thread