It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Day after surgery

I had a ADF with cage yesterday. The pain in my arm is completely gone. My only problem now is I have a horrible pain in my chest when I swallow and take deep breaths. It goes from by throat straight down between my breasts. I'm thinking it is my esophagus. Has anyone else had this happen? What can be done about it?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User
Arrow Re: Day after surgery

elle, just now headed over here to see how you were doing! How great the all the pain in that arm is gone!! Feels great doesn't it ? Mine has not returned either..The horrible chest pain is NORMAL i was told. In the hospital after my surgery, I would try and go to sleep and take a breath and get that chest pain. I asked the surgeon about it and he said it was normal and would pass. Did you enquire about it with your surgeon yet? Wanted to put your mind at ease because I had it too. Mine passed after around 3-4 days if I remember correctly . How are you feeling right now? How is the surgical pain? Thoughts are with you hon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB Usergoldyfm HB User
Re: Day after surgery

I had some throat problems for a few weeks after my Cervical fusion as well. I was told that they actually have to manipulate the esophagus to one side during the operation. I was told that the symptoms would subside. I know I had choking spells for a few weeks but it eventaully lessened as the days went by. I hope that eases your mind.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suzy-Q HB User

So glad to know you are safely on this side of your surgery. I didn't have just that pain you describe in chest or with breathing post ACDF but I did have trouble swallowing and general sore throat. It was the dominant pain for 3 days and then eased steadily. I had a resurgence of arm pain (bilateral on day 5 post-op). Though I knew it happens frequently, I freaked out and my doc had to calm me down. It did mean my post-op FMLA was extended to the full 6 weeks but the pain has diminished and I am doing quite well (my surgery was 1-14). My doc told me that to have arm pain gone on waking for even a few days is a good sign for long-term outcomes. That mine was gone for 5 days thrilled him.

Take good care and here's to a great recovery for you. SQ

Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

During surgery..they have a breathing tube down your throat...along with the pushing aside of all the muscles in your neck during the surgery...it can cause a lot of soreness in your upper chest and throat..and anesthesia can cause your lungs to have small amounts of fluid during the surgery...

That is why before you are released..they make sure you can take deep breaths...along with monitoring your 'pulse ox'...oxygen levels ...are normal...(that was the little clip on your finger after surgery)

I've had 3 cervical fusion surgeries..and my last Dr. explained that some Dr.s are more 'heavy handed' than others when it comes to this...

If you actually have trouble breathing, or start developing a wet cough that continues...call your Dr. immediately ...or 911 if breathing is hindered dramatically...in rare cases...pneumonia can develop after surgeries...

But...most of the time...your body has gone through a major surgery and it will take time to heal and be less sore...

I wish you well! and hope that this surgery will leave you with less pain!

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 02-25-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I figured it had something to do with the breathing tube and anesthesia. I told a Dr. (not mine) about this immediately after surgery and he didn't know what it could be. He asked my anesthesiologist and she didn't seem to know either (go figure). So they did an EKG. I knew it wasn't a heart problem, but at least they ruled that out. You would think doctors would know what it was. I knew I could count on everyone here to be very informative and helpful. I'm sure I will be back with more questions as i continue to recover. So thanks again for all the help and support.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
(female)

Eleanor7734 HB User

I am 10 days post-op from a 4 level ACDF and the throat pain is still here. The problem lies when they push everything to the side to gain access to the vertbrae. You will have problems with swallowing and speaking. Some people also have problems with excess mucus. Bendy straws and leaning foward to drink really helps. I am on a sorta "soup" diet because I have so much trouble with this. Crushing pills really helps too. The hoarseness will last sometime after, but as all people recover differently, might be sooner for yourself. Hope you get well and take it easy!

Old 02-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

The one bright spot was splurging on lots of milkshakes...adding in some protein powder...but soothing to my throat and yummy!!

As a quick response to Eleanor...PLEASE DON'T CRUSH any medication without checking with a pharmacist first...There are many time released meds that can cause overdose/death if taken all at once...whether pain meds, heart meds, blood pressure, etc...

Just wanted to add this as many people are new to chronic pain/surgeries and don't realize this about certain medications.

So..after checking...then yes..this can be a great idea for the safe medicines to get down easier...

Closed Thread