It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
In need of some answers

Four days post ACDFw/Cage. I did not stay in the hospital over night and did not get too much info on what to expect afterward. Just counting on the knowledge and experience of everyone here. My bandage came off today and when I touched my neck I had no feeling, and now it just feels numb all the time. Is this common? I also feel like there is an olive size object stuck in my throat. Is this normal? I felt so good on days 2 & 3, I was even driving and doing light house work. Now I'm not feeling too great. The only meds I was given is 5mg of oxicodone. Can I take 2, should I be taking a muscle relaxer, and or anti -inflammatory? Any help is much appreciated. I can't call the Dr. until Monday and right now that seems a long way off.

Thanks, Elle

Old 03-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
(female)

charleyblitz HB User
Re: In need of some answeres

Hi Ellie, you're pretty fresh out of surgery and it will take time. I had my 2 level ACDF with Corpectomy on the 5th. I am a little over 3 weeks out. I came home after a 3 day stay with muscle relaxer and Percocets. That feeling of an olive, I still have it. I suppose it just takes time for everything to calm down. My neck is numb from the incision to the top of my chin so you're not alone hun. I'm sure you can call your doc and ask for some muscle relaxers. And I would't be doing any house cleaning, its still pretty early on for that. Rest and relax and let your body heal.
My left arm has been numb since my surgery so I'm on Nuerotin too.
Don't be afraid to call your doc if you have any concerns or quiestions. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: In need of some answers

Hello - you both sound like you are doing well. You should have very light activity for the first 2-4 weeks after your type surgery. Listen to your body it will send you signals that you are doing too much. It is normal for the numbness around the incision. Do not increase your medicine over what your doctor prescribed. If your medications are not working call the doctor! Most surgeons want people to avoid anti-inflammatory as they believe it can inhibit fusion in some people - your doctor may have a preference one way or the other. Get back to bed for the week and I bet you will feel lots better. Watch TV and rest. Leave the chores for the following week and even then only do light duty. My personal opinion is that we all do surgeries to get better - we need to give our bodies chance to heal and have the best possible outcome. There is nothing wrong with taking it easy. Start building up activity little by little, don't let yourself get completely deconditioned.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Re: In need of some answers

Well now it is one week since my surgery. I did get back into bed for two days, but that was all I could take. I stopped taking my pain meds and am now just taking extra strength tylenol. My neck still feels numb, but the lump in my throat is starting to get smaller. I am not going to do any heavy house work, just the light stuff. I did however go to the grocery store for a few things yesterday. Driving is not a problem but I only go short distances. So far I seem to be doing pretty darn good. Hope everyone else is too.

Closed Thread