It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
(male)

w3hog HB User
short term ACDF pain.

My major pain is not inscisional (5 days out of C5 thru C7 Fusion) I have pain in rear of neck, both sides of spine, out to shoulders and down to mid scapulas, normal? pain meds and or relaxers don't help much.
Also above my inscision (just under my chin) is completly numb to touch. I just want to know if these are to be expected or not? Thank You
< edited >

Old 03-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Re: short term ACDF pain.

I am 6 days out of ACDF and also have the numbness in my neck, The back of my neck and shoulder muscles also hurt, but unlike you it does not go down to my scapular. However I only had C6-7 done. There may be more discomfort the more levels you have fused. I read a few other posts that have similar symptoms. So ya, I think it is all pretty normal. Hope we all feel better soon. Keep us updated on your recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3hog View Post
My major pain is not inscisional (5 days out of C5 thru C7 Fusion) I have pain in rear of neck, both sides of spine, out to shoulders and down to mid scapulas, normal? pain meds and or relaxers don't help much.
Also above my inscision (just under my chin) is completly numb to touch. I just want to know if these are to be expected or not? Thank You
< edited >

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
(male)

w3hog HB User

Elle45, Thank you very much for your quick response. I guess I'm just paranoid because I would hate for anything to go wrong and have to go thru this again. As you know, this is quite uncomfortable!!
Some other symptoms are, of course,the ungodly "lump" in the throat which hinders swallowing, and I tend to hear some clicking if I do accidentally move to fast or whatever.

But man oh man, that numbness is very strange, above the inscision. I'm sorry you have it, but i'm happy that I'm not the only one.

You keep us posted on your recovery as well, please.

W3HOG

Last edited by w3hog; 03-01-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
(female)

charleyblitz HB User

Yup, like a golf ball is lodged in there, also the numbness from incision up to your chin. I'm 3 weeks out from my surgery and I think patience is the tool. I've learned the pains, from the back of the neck down to your fingertips are also normal. I hate using that word normal,those pains are possible. I too am having those pains, but they seem to be lessoning as time goes on. Time heals all they say!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
(male)

w3hog HB User

I'll tell you what though, These boards are a god send for those of us who are not "rich" sports star types, and don't have Doc's available 24/7!!
I know it helps me a lot to know that these symptoms are not specific to me and there is a small light at the end of the tunnel!! Normally, numbness would make me panic! and yes, it does completely suck to say that certain pains are "normal", as long as they seem to ease with time!! I can't wait to lie flat in my bed and sleep next to my wife again! Sleeping with this collar in my recliner is getting old even after just one week tomorrow!
There's a question, I'm not a back sleeper, anyone out there have a general time frame til how long it'll be til I can sleep in bed on my side again??

Thank everyone for your support and help!!!

W3HOG

(You get more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar!!)

Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

charleyblitz HB User

Hog, you're making me feel lucky! I've been sleeping in my own bed since I came home from surgery. They sent me home with a soft colar, but I haven't used it. Some docs use them some don't. I'm a side sleeper too! I haven't had very many problems sleeping in my bed. Flipping from side to side is a chore, you move very carefully, but I'm a snuggler so it was worth it. My hubs had to help me at first as my arm is still pretty much numb, but I conquered that dastardly flip. lol!

Amen to this board! Its been a great help.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
(male)

w3hog HB User

Yes, I would consider you lucky!! Even as a guy, I can admit that I'm a cuddler, and I'm going thru withdrawl!! My doc sent me home with a rigid collar that I have to wear 24/7, (except for showering, ofcourse). It's amazing how different doc's do things differently!! I do think I would have some problems w/o the collar though. I was surprised that I was sent home with no dressing on my inscision, just steri-strips and sutures.
I can't imagine trying to flip over while lying flat, Which I can't do anyway!! The pain in my neck, shoulder and back muscles just wont allow me to move or position myself in these ways. I'm also in no way saying I am great with pain! I'm a wimp, it's OK, I'm used to it. My fear more than the pain, is to do any damage to the work done in there, because they are not going in again!!!
One other fear I have is my 3 y/o daughter who is used to playing rough with Daddy!! I need to get a picture of the fear in my eyes whne she gets home from daycare!! anyway....... boredom sux!!!

Longing for snuggles,

W3HOG

Old 03-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
(female)

charleyblitz HB User

Ah yes, again the difference in Docs, I came home with no dressing but with staples. All 24 lovely staples that were pulled out last week. I agree with you on the not damaging the work done there. Its almost as bad as pre surgery with spinal stenosis and them telling you to be very very careful. I can't imagine having a 3 year old and not being able to pick them up, mines 10 now so she's easy greasy. We are walking on eggshells aren't we? I do hope your doc sent you home with muscle relaxers and adequate pain meds. Rest and relax!

Old 03-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
(male)

w3hog HB User

Yes, I have the relaxers and pain meds. My only problem with that is I was taking Percocet prior to surgery already due to the pain and I also have chronic lumbar problems due to the same accident. I've had 2 surgeries at L5-S1 back in 2004. So, I'm trying to not "up" my dosage too much because as this pain eases I want to be able to cut out the percocet for daily pain, (only using it for those special times. I'm sure you know what I mean).

Yes, other than not being able to be cuddly with my wife, not being able to pick up my little girl, and play with her how we usually do, totally stinks. I'm using all of this to help keep my spirits up and set my goals for recovery!

Thanx for consistently responding here, it's nice to know there are good people out there!! Especially when all we can do is sit here and watch TV all day and see all the bad stuff on the news!!!

W3HOG

Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Maybe it was just me but I never got comfortable in my bed until the collar came off. I tried - just not enough pillows to make that work for me. There are people who said they used a wedge pillow and it helped them. I slept in a recliner - count em 12 weeks - both times.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:57 AM   #11
(male)

w3hog HB User

Yep, That's where I'm at.... still sleeping in my recliner. I was thinking sometime today, while doing all the stuff I'm capable of doing, LOL I'm going to very carefully see if I can find a way to lie in bed. We'll see how that goes. I know someday this will all be a distant memory, but I can't wait until then! I just can't get good sleep in the recliner, so I'm basically functioning on 4 to 4.5 hours of sleep per night and that's due to "Lunesta". I know it could be worse but I require a little more than that.

1 more week until my 1st post op appointment, crossing my fingers that all is going well!

Thanx, W3HOG

Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
(female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

I didn't have a recliner when I needed a second surgery.....so gathered every pillow I had and sort of made one on my bed For me the 2 key points was to have a big pillow to rest my arms on a la recliner, one for each arm. My back was about 45 degrees. I also learned real fast that to get back up, I had to use my hands/arms to pull on my heavy bedspread hand over hand like a pulley rope, and then swing my legs over the side of the bed. Since I always was a stomach/side sleeper, I didn't get long stretches of sleep either. It was after 2 weeks that I finally layed on my side - ah, heaven! Muscle spasms all across shoulders, shoulder blades, etc. go with the territory. Don't worry about the pain meds - without them you will only tighten up your muscles even more and it becomes a vicious cycle. You'll know when to decrease them. You have a great attitude!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #13
(female)

charleyblitz HB User

One thing helped me. Be one with the log roll. Think like a log , be the log and roll with it. Plus I have a brass bed with the bars, so I grabbed the bars and pull to get up. I got faith in you Hog! One day you'll be spooning again. lol!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
(male)

w3hog HB User

Thanx for all the positive thinking and responses!!
It is greatly appreciated. I also hope everyone who is or has gone thru this recovers well!

Keep the goals in sight!!!

W3HOG

Closed Thread