It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User
Two days since ACDF

Feeling weak - sore throat so can only eat soft foods and swallowing is difficult. But feel starving.

Spent two nights in hospital - was very sick - the anaesthetic caused me some problems.

Surgeon said all went well but had previously advised that he could not guarantee the pain in my arms would go. It has not gone. He says it is too early to tell. However, he has decompressed my spine and cleaned out the spinal roots - thinks the arms may be down to that. I desperately hope the pain in the arms goes - will struggle to return to work if it does not. Have had varying advice on how long it will be before I am fit to return to work. What do you all think? How long before I can drive? My neck mobility is quite good and I have no pain in it.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
Re: Two days since ACDF

It takes a while to recover from this, so be easy on yourself. I was given permission to drive after my two week check up, but I didn't really drive much until about 4 weeks. I went to Physical Therapy for 8 weeks, and that helped me with my arms. I still have stinging, burning in them, but strength has returned. My surgery was in June of 2008 and I still have residual symptoms, because my spinal cord was compressed for over a year. However, I can function pretty well, so I am grateful. Take care and don't overdo.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks for the good advice - trying to take things easier - throat still bad but I am managing some solid foods now. The pains in the arms is still there and my body feels so strange - a sort of numb kind of feeling all over my legs - it is not a problem except it feels strange . I suppose the sensation is different. I assume this is all part of the settling down?

Old 03-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

janhad HB User

Hi ces - just a quick message hoping that things settle down for you after your surgery - I am sure it will - just a matter of time and you need to take things easy. Shame that you had a bad reaction to the anaesthetic and had to stay in hospital a little longer. That is one of the things that worry me as I am due for surgery in June/July (NHS waiting lists) and have had bad reactions to the anaesthetic before - we will have to wait and see! Anyway keep positive and will be sending healing thoughts to you. Janhad.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #5
(male)

sly fox HB User

Hi Ces, I'm just over two weeks post-op and had swallowing issues for about a week (things like pills getting stuck in throat and hard to swallow solid food) that stuff went away slowly but it still seems like I can almost feel the plate against the back of my esophagus if I lean forward. Pretty strange. I had radiculopathy prior to surgery which was immediately gone but lots of shoulder and trapezius pain after the surgery. Those pains slowly went away for the most part now just some muscle spasms here and there. In all the sypmtoms seem to be subsiding with time. Hopefully this will be the same for you as well. Good luck!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
(female)

Hi Sly Fox

So you had your op just before me. My throat is gradually getting better - each day I feel an improvement. Not so my arms - some days they are worse than ever but some days not so bad. It strikes me things are not the same as before so I am hopeful they will settle down. It is good to hear that you feel you are improving. Bending down is the worst - I feel a great lump in my mouth and almost feel sick so I avoid all such things like sweeping up crumbs from the floor. Anyway it is good to know it is on the mend.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
(female)

lrbd HB User

Hi , I had ACDF 9 days ago at 5/6. My symptoms prior were all on the right side except left arm pain . My right should right arm right shoulder blade were horrible. tight spasms almost always. I woke from the surgery with no pain anywhere except my throat. Now I am freaking out because my left side is what my right side was. How could this be ? I hope and pray it is just post op stuff . When I left the hospital saying I felt great I was warned I would feel discomfort from the surgery and not be alarmed but this is crazy . Is it possible it is just that or am I back to square one but on the other side? Thanks I lnow i am rambling .

Closed Thread