It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
(female)

Laurie Hon HB User
Please help with MRI results and questions to ask doc

I am looking for help interpreting my MRI and what questions I should ask the neurologist on Friday. I have a lot of arm, chest and shoulder pain and weakness/clumsiness in my hands. The last 10 days, the pain has been much more intense with limited relief from muscle relaxers and pain killers. I received results from a cervical MRI and would like to know what it means and if I am being a whiny baby. By the way, I am a healthy, active 51 year old female. Here is what it says:

At C4-5 there is a small broad based posterior osteophyte disc complex with left uncovertebral spurring. This produces no significant canal narrowing but mild left neural foramen narrowing.

At C5-6 there is a broad based posterior osteophyte disc complex with bilateral uncovertebral spurring. This constellation of findings produce at least moderate canal narrowing and severe bilateral neural foramen narrowing.

At C6-7 there is a broad based posterior osteophyte disc complex with a pronounced left paracentral component and left uncovertebral spurring. These findings produce moderate to severe canal narrowing and significant left neural foramen narrowing.

Impression:
Multilevel degenerative disc disease and uncovertebral spurring most notable at the C5-6 level and C6-7 level where there is canal narrowing and neural foramen narrowing. There is loss of the normal cervical lordosis.

Questions:
Is this something that epidural injections may take care of? Is the loss of cervical lordosis something that is congenital or occurs over time?
Most of this report indicates more problems on the left, but I have more pain on my right and limited sensation with my right hand.

Sure would appreciate some advice.

Last edited by Laurie Hon; 03-23-2010 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Please help with MRI results and questions to ask doc

Hey there,

Welcome to HB....

Just so you know...we are not Dr.s or technicians on this site..Just all regular folks like yourself with spine issues...So no one is technically trained to read your results or give you medical advice...

That should be done by your Dr.

You just need to tell him about the pain you are having and what he feels is the best way to treat it..

After you get those results from him and what he says to do or what it means...we are here to share with you are experiences on what we have gone through..

I have gone through 3 cervical fusions over the last 9 years...but each was needed because of severe herniations that needed to be taken care of immediately..

Most of the time...A Dr. will try as many conservative treatments like traction, PT, injections, anti-inflammatories, muscle relaxers, etc. before deciding on surgery...

I hope that you can discuss the injections with your Dr. and that they can give you some relief...You will hear all sorts of views on them on this site...but please don't let that disuade you from them..it's something that you alone should decide with your Dr.

The good part is that there are many disc issues that can slowly be healed over time with conservative treatment

Just wanted to welcome you to the boards as you will find a great group of people on here that have been through it all and hope that you will continue to post back with your progress and what you and your Dr. have decided to do from here..

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 03-24-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
(male)

IonMan HB User
Re: Please help with MRI results and questions to ask doc

Hello,

I have much the same, the foramen worse on the side opposite of the the pain.
If I understand correctly, it is the "moderate to severe canal narrowing " that is the real issue. And this "may" require surgery. If so they will most likely deal with the osteophytes (bone spurs) as well. If it were not for the severe canal narrowing epidural injections may have been enough. I thought that the foramen were an issue too, but was told that they will be fixed / mitigated when the canal compromise is corrected. (correct vertebra spacing restored)

Cheers

Closed Thread