It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
(male)

TimRo HB User
Thumbs up Surgery Went Well

Hello all. I had my ACDF C4/5 & C5/6 on Monday. All went well. Now it's just a matter of learning how to sleep in this Miami J collar again. ugh. I have to say I am impressed with my Surgeon. He explained every step along the way and I feel I am going to have a great outcome. He did remove the previous plates I had at C3/4 and C6/7 and then put bone grafts and plates C4 through C6. Swallowing is already getting better and Pain is controlled with Percocet and Valium for muscle spasms. I'll post more as I go along. Just wanted to let you all know it went well. Take care. Tim

________________________________________ ________________
Removal of plates at C3/4 and C6/7 and new ACDF C4 - C6 with bone graphs and plates. 3/22/10. ACDF C3/4 w/graph/hardware (2000), ACDF C6/7 w/graph/hardware (2004)

Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
Re: Surgery Went Well

Hi Tim,

Thanks for sharing the good news with us! I hope that you continue with the great recovery...just go slow and steady...try not to push to hard but all the light exercise/stretching (when the Dr. allows) does feel good for those stiff muscles...I have been through 3 of those surgeries myself!..I took advantage of lots of yummy milkshakes!..LOL..

And be sure to take the medicine you are prescribed as scheduled since it really can stay ahead of any pain the more active you get in the next weeks...

Hope you can just enjoy some good TV/Movies and hopefully get needed sleep since that is a big toll on your body..

Look forward to more progress reports!!!

Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #3
(male)

TimRo HB User

Thanks. Yeah, I loaded up on DVD's and of course got my PS3 for online. So I got plenty of time to amuse myself. I already started walking around the block. This is my 3rd surgery, so I know all the tricks. lol. Thanks again for your reply. : )

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
(male)

IonMan HB User

Tim,

Goo for you, I had the exact same issue. I ended up sleeping in my recliner, slightly tilted back, with a couple of small pillows for support for the back of my head. (Did I say sleep, ha, naps, long naps & short naps)

Also you may wish to drape a scarf or long towel around your neck and when you want to lean forward use the scarf for support to pull your neck and head forward. it relives the muscles from working too hard when you lift your head.

Hope fully you won't have to wear the j-collar for the eight weeks I had to.

cheers

Old 03-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
(male)

TimRo HB User

Day 5 Post Op ACDF Revision Surgery. All is still going well. Swallowing is normal, back on normal diet. Baby Powder under Miami-J collar works wonders. Walking more and more, it's just good to get outside in the Sunshine. Tried to ease up on the Pain meds, BIG MISTAKE, back to taking them every 4 hours even if I think I don't need them. Keeps from having to catch up to control the pain. Not taking the Valium as much. Mainly for sleeping and the occasional spasms. No Arm Pain just post surgery pain which I can tell is getting better. Still have 5 weeks to go in Collar, and I am really looking forward to getting this thing off. Now I know how those poor dogs feel with lamp shades on thier heads. . Hope you all are doing well. I will post more as I go along. Feel free to ask any questions if you have a upcoming surgery or just want to share your experiences. Take care, Tim

Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
(male)

IonMan HB User

Tim,

I ripped up some old cotton tee-shirts and used medicaded powder to help my skin while I was wearing that instrimuent of pain. LOL

Good luck and let yourself heal. But you know the drill.

Cheers

Closed Thread