It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

sbf815 HB User
Any advice

In 2007 after hitting my head I suffered severe weakness, numbness in fingers, shoulder pain, shocks going down neck and finally a bouncy gate. After three months of calling and going to doctors I could barely walk. I had an MRI which showed a fractured vertebrae, ruptured disc and a severely compressed spine. I had emergency surgery. I was hours from being paralyzed. Three years later I suffer from spasticity and unbalance but am walking.

About two months ago I started getting the radiating shoulder pain. It feels like a torn rotator cuff. I was a little worried but nothing else seemed worse so I held off going to the doctor. I finally had to go because the pain was so bad. They gave me pain pills and muscle relaxers which help. I noticed early last week subtle changes but nothing major. By the end of the week, I got the numbness in my fingers, and I started to have the bounce when I walk and a hard time trying to get my legs to work with much weakness. I called my neurologist and they got me in for a MRI on Friday. Yesterday I called and my MRI came back inconclusive. It is the same as after my post surgery MRI in 2007. Thursday and Friday I had horrible pain in head and neck. I have shoulder pain on one side and neck pain on the other side. I now have this noise like a whrr when I bend my head down. I see my neurologist on Monday and am stunned that my MRI is the same. I am scared and don't know what to do. My primary care wants me to wait and see my neurologist first before she sends me to a neurosurgeon. Has anyone had this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
(male)

IonMan HB User
Re: Any advice

If the MRI is inconclusive, they want to do a "gold standard" test refered to as a myelogram / CT scan. Basicly a contrasting die is injected into your spinal canal followed by a quick, quiet CT scan. This type of test tends to show about as much detail as possible via scans and X-rays.

Good Luck

Old 03-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
(female)

sbf815 HB User

Thanks I will ask for that. I did have the contrast with the MRI. Should I still ask for the CT? I was under the impression that a MRI was better.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
(female)

sbf815 HB User

Has anyone ever had this happen? I went to the neurologist and he thought it was due to combination of tramadol, prozac, and welbuterin. I talked to my pharmacist and she said no. I was on it for almost two months before this happened. My doctor also said it could be my neuropathy and I could have easily injured myself. Has anyone ever had this just all of a sudden get worse years after their injury. I do think that there is improvement but I am just so afraid I have taken a step backwards and am terrified it won't go away and I will have to go back to using a cane and wheel chair when having to walk a lot.

Closed Thread