It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
(male)

sly fox HB User
post acdf lump in throat

3 wks post op on c6/7 acdf and doing well but when ever I bend forward at the waist I feel like I can feel the plate pressing against my esophagus like a lump in my throat. I just feels like a pressure sensation but goes away as soon as I stand up straight. My NS said that he doubts i'm feeling the plate as it's relatively thin but it must be edema in the area still and should go away.
my question is this - do or did any of you feel the same thing and does it ever go away?
thanks - S.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Re: post acdf lump in throat

YES!!! It was the most bothersome part of recovery for me. I felt it every time I laid down. I am 5 wks post op on same discs and YES it is finally gone. What kind of plate did they put in you? Mine is an ROI-C implant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
(female)

charleyblitz HB User

Hi Sly! I'm at a lil over 6 weeks and I still feel the lump, especially when I lay on my left side at night. It does seem smaller now though, so it does get better.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User

I am only two weeks and yes the lump is there and bending down is awful. Worst thing is the arm pain - has everyone else's gone away? If not how long before it does?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
(female)

charleyblitz HB User

Ces, I still get the arm pains, not as bad as before ! I am 7 weeks today. But mine is still numb too, so I think mine is more of muscle spasms. I am still on the Flexeril and Neurontin but have stopped taking the pain pills(Percocets). I am just now starting to feel human again lol. My doc explained to me that full recovery can take up to a year. We've been beaten up and banged about, but it does and will get better. Wishing you guys a speedy recovery.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

I went for my 5 week post op exam yesterday and told the Dr. he really needs to warn people about the HORRIBLE pain in throat and esophagus. he said "what pain"? I told how horrible I felt and that it felt like my esophagus was tied in knots for the first three weeks. He said he never heard of this and it is NOT normal. He only said the lump in throat is normal, but not the pain in the esophagus. He is supposed to be one of the best surgeons in the area. My pain went all the way down between my breast bone and I would feel like I was going to gag all the time. It did get better after four weeks. Just a little FYI

Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
(male)

sly fox HB User

thanks everybody - you were right. It's still there but slowly getting better. I really appreciate this forum and all of your help and willingness to share.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #8
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User

Had my first physio since the op (3 weeks ago). She said my shoulders and back are in muscle spasm and very tense which probably makes the arm pain worse. She did some good work and recommended heat - also said I had to get the pain management sorted otherwise the arm pain would continue as my tense shoulders would make it worse. Sort of vicious circle.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
(female)

LVAsleep HB User

I had C6C7 acdf in Dec 2006. Started feeling similar symptoms in July 07. X-ray 1 year post showed good fusion and plate definitely pushing on esophagus. Surgeon told me OK to remove since fused. Symptoms relieved. 2 years later fusion looks less - my surgeon gone - new surgeon said he never removed one afraid to go back to heavy lifting at work. I remember my surgeon telling me he did not put in preferred plate because they did not have it. Why didn't he put in new preferred plate when he reopened? Blamed my neck - too small

Old 04-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
(female)

sayikay HB User

I had acdf on c5/c6, and I am currently four weeks post op. I have a visit scheduled with my neurosurgeon tomorrow to follow up, and I am having the same feeling in my throat. Its like a golf ball is stuck back there or something! Mine is more uncomfortable when laying down, especially on my left side, or when bending down. I am very interested to see what the doctor has to say about this. It's not painfull, just very uncomfortable, and paired with a cold it constantly feels like I am choking.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #11
(female)

estella3 HB User

I am 2 months post op and it still feels like i swallowed a golf ball, a terrible annoying feeling, not painful, but something i hope i don't have to live with forever, and if i do i should have been told about this. On top of that feeling i have a cold. My surgeon guaranteed me it will pass. Im waiting. I also have some pain going from my left side of neck into left arm and hand, despite going to physical therapy for 6 or 7 weeks now. Estella

Last edited by estella3; 04-12-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
(female)

vanderbilt11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly fox View Post
3 wks post op on c6/7 acdf and doing well but when ever I bend forward at the waist I feel like I can feel the plate pressing against my esophagus like a lump in my throat. I just feels like a pressure sensation but goes away as soon as I stand up straight. My NS said that he doubts i'm feeling the plate as it's relatively thin but it must be edema in the area still and should go away.
my question is this - do or did any of you feel the same thing and does it ever go away?
thanks - S.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
(female)

estella3 HB User

The feeling like their is something there in my throat went away for me, finally. I still have neck and back pain though and pain going down my left arm and into left hand/fingers. They recently did an EMG and a post op MRI on me so i will find out the results soon. It feels like something is jazzed up somewhere on the left. My right side feels okay. To me this operation was like trading one type of pain for another. Estella

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #14
(female)

kitap1 HB User

I have had the same experience. I have had the same area operated on 3 different times and all 3 times I have had that feeling and trouble swallowing. It has resolved itself.

Closed Thread