It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #1
(female)

shebaby HB User
MRI of cervical spine. Please help me understand

Hi,

Got my MRI of cervical spine done recently. Please help me understand the report and let me know if it is serious or I need to take care of before it becomes worse later.

Impression:
Small broad based central protrusion of the C5-C6 and C6-C7 inter-vertebral discs indenting the thecal sac.

Loss of cervical lordosis.

Please help as soon as possible Thanks a ton!

Last edited by shebaby; 03-30-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
(male)

TimRo HB User
Re: MRI of cervical spine. Please help me understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebaby View Post
Hi,

Got my MRI of cervical spine done recently. Please help me understand the report and let me know if it is serious or I need to take care of before it becomes worse later.

Impression:
Small broad based central protrusion of the C5-C6 and C6-C7 inter-vertebral discs indenting the thecal sac.

Loss of cervical lordosis.

Please help as soon as possible Thanks a ton!
Welcome Shebaby. I am sorry you are having issues with your neck. I am quite familar with broad based central protrusions. Before I start, I want to make sure you understand, that I am not a doctor, and I can only share my personal experience. Please follow all of your doctors instructions. Having said that. A protrusion is basically a rupture of the Disk. From what your report says, they are small ruptures and they are indenting the thecal sac. This can cause you pain and or numbness. Mine was in my neck, back, and right shoulder, down right inside of my arm. I ended up having surgery to repair my ruptures because my symptoms where very severe and limiting my ability to function normal. This does not mean you will have to have surgery, and any good doc will only do surgery as a last resort. Find yourself a good Ortho Surgeon or Neuro Surgeon. I prefer Ortho because they seem to be the most familar with the bone structures. Make sure you let them know anything that is going on, even if you think it is nothing. The more info they have on your symptoms the better they will be able to treat you. If you want to share your symptoms here, there may be people that come along that have had the same symptoms and can share their experiences. I wish you the best of luck. If I can be of any further assistance. Please let me know. Good Luck. Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
(female)

shebaby HB User

Hey Tim,

Thanks so much for your valuable advice and sorry that you had to go through such a demon.

Basically, the first reason I went to a Neuro Surgeon is that I was feeling..shooting pain I don know what exactly they call it but I feel as though someone is injecting or pulling my hands n arms off of my shoulder. very horrible pain. feel stiffness in my hand n not exactly numbness. hard to explain.

The Neuro surgeon asked me not to worry about it and to take tablets called PREGALIN-75 for 4 days. Considering its side effects(mood swings etc) am reluctant to take it n instead taking PALSINURON which I suppose is to treat any nerve damage or neuro muscular wear n tear. and its safe to take.

I just want to be sure that this small( what they call) won't become big in future coz am facing this since 10 yrs now.
Want to know all the things I need to avoid to do n to be careful of.
Well, the Doc said it was coz of a bad posture. I feel that might not be the only reason. I wonder if only neck exercises will help.
Finally! Hoping for the best I would say "ALL IS WELL"

Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
(male)

TimRo HB User

There are differing opinions on whether ruptures can heal. I can tell you that it can get bigger. The thecal sac is a membrane that surrounds your spinal cord. Depending on where the impression is, it could cause your shoulder/arm pain. I would be careful with any type of neck exercises until you get them cleared with your Doc. My first ruptured disc was at C3/4 and they tried cervical traction which made it a lot worse. Again, this is just what I experienced. Common things to avoid would be Heavy lifting, repetitive pushing/pulling. Anything that would cause your neck to jerk, such as amusement park rides, skydiving ect. If I were you. I would get a second opinion from a Ortho Surgeon. I am not familar with the meds you are on. If the side effects are bothersome, then consult your doc and see if there is a different med that will treat the same symptoms without the same side effects. Again, I wish you the best of luck. Try and keep a positive outlook. Even after 3 surgeries I live a pretty normal life. Just no more skydiving or heavy lifting. Walking alot is also good exercise for your neck. It does not jar the area, and improves your blood circulation. Good luck. Tim

Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 AM   #5
(female)

shebaby HB User

Thanks Tim. Your suggestions are really helpful to me. I truly like and appreciate your helping hand. I will go for a second opinion on this case and get back to you. You take care

Closed Thread