It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
(female)

estella3 HB User
c5 c6 fusion, 2 months post op

Hi,
I am still having radiating pain into my left arm/ hand, the ER doctor said it was cervical radiculopathy,which is what i had before surgery. The pain now for me is 10 times worse than before the surgery. Before the surgey the pain ended at about the bicep and there was no numbness or tingling. I am now in severe pain every day. I did massage, I did physical therapy as the surgeon says it is muscle spasms, and post op inflammation. A post op MRI read that my cervical spine was normal. What test is done to determine whether there is fusion or not? and at what month should it be done? Estella

i also have a left tremble to my hand at times now, and have chest pain now and then.

Last edited by estella3; 04-03-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #2
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User
Re: c5 c6 fusion, 2 months post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by estella3 View Post
Hi,
I am still having radiating pain into my left arm/ hand, the ER doctor said it was cervical radiculopathy,which is what i had before surgery. The pain now for me is 10 times worse than before the surgery. Before the surgey the pain ended at about the bicep and there was no numbness or tingling. I am now in severe pain every day. I did massage, I did physical therapy as the surgeon says it is muscle spasms, and post op inflammation. A post op MRI read that my cervical spine was normal. What test is done to determine whether there is fusion or not? and at what month should it be done? Estella

i also have a left tremble to my hand at times now, and have chest pain now and then.
Sounds similar to my case. I had the op 3 weeks ago and I am now on double the gabapentin dose I was before as my arms hurt so much. I have been told it will take time and as long as I am not in pain I can live with it. Unfortunately, Gabapentin makes me sleepy but I suppose that is OK at this stage - no-one is expecting much of me just yet! I believe fusion takes a long time so you won't know anything about that for now. My back and shoulders are in spasm also but the PT has helped I think and I will continue with that. All the best

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi es. do you actually have a copy of that MRI report hon? if not, get one. you yourself NEED to read thru it and if you can, type out here exactly what that summary states at the very end there? i highly doubt that everything in there is actually 'normal'. just does not 'sound' possible given the INCREASE in radiculopathic types of symptoms you are having that got worse POST op? this very same thing occured after they placed my hardware and ended up finding out they had actually impinged my c 7 nerve root WITH the dang hardware, or at least one pedicle screw as i found out when my other good NS went in to do my spinal cord surgery and saw just how insane that nerve root was actually being held hostage in there? somehow, when my other NS placed that hardware, tho it only stated upon my MRI that there was an impingement(i was TOLD by NSs NP tho my MRI was "fine" and they could NOT find any reason for my symptoms?? this is why you need your own copy of that report) what actually happened was that the nerve root somehow got 'hooked" onto and somewhat wrapped around the dang pedicle screw? this was only found because they had to remove the backs of my c 6-t 1 areas for my surgery? so my new NS simply unwrapped this for me or i would still be in agony.

the sickest part of this whole thing was that i was having ALOT of bigger and more profound radicu symptoms post hardware placement than i EVER came in with initially. but the nurse, over the phone, tho she did not know that i also had my OWN copy of my MRI report too, lied to me over the phone? imagine HER suprise when i simply asked her, well what about that IMPINGED nerve root it states on the bottom of page one? couldn't THAT be whats doing this to me? you could have heard a pin drop when she realized i KNEW she just lied straight out to me. once she found out that i KNEW she just lied to me, she got all nasty and said she would speak with my NS and get back to me. i was just absolutely stunned that what was IN that MRI report which WAS the Dx we were kind of looking for even doing that MRI at all was not told to me. what did she think i was going to do here? oh it all must be in my head then?? witch.

i went up to the U of MN to get this figured out. this is when i also found out the glod of blood vesels inside my cord had bled too(that was also never told to me) and it needed to come out. i just wanted that impingement fixed and found out THAT? but he was able to fix that main problem when he saw how screwed up it was even before he cut into my cord for my actual surgery.

this truely IS the biggest reason anyone should just obtain their very own copies of ANY testing results, esp when it comes to surgeons? they just want to do that surgery and get you moving along the assembly line and out that door. anyone who has ANY actual issues post op usually gets told stupid stuff like you will just have to live with it, and shoved along when they DO have that responsibility to HELP the patient they just did surgery on like you es?

i am just willing to bet here hon that you DO actually have impingement of a nerve root somewhere just based upon your very profound and worse post op types of radiculopathic symptoms alone. your presentation and situation just sounds almost identical to mine in this way hon. just get your hands ON that MRI report and read thru it yourself. either it did not show itself becasue OF the way hardware blurrs upon MRI or it was found and just not actually told to YOU at all. but this really sounds like impingment to me.

what are your EXACT symptoms es? i mean detail here and if anything actually goes down to very specific fingers? is this crap always there or does it come and go? if it kind of comes and goes without that underlying pain being there, it could be an intermittant 'hit' on a nerve root(by something)? but if it is a constant or pretty much an 'always there' type of presentation, that seriously sounds impinged in some way.

if you do not already have the initial MRI too, get that one as well hon. you just do have the right to this stuff. seeing what issues were in the summary of the pre op MRI is needed so i can compare the pre and post MRIs for possible issues es. you just have 'something' else going on here esp if he called this radiculopathy???? helloo? if you had other problems going on within that c spine area where he did not actuallly DO anything to fix them, they could be presenting now? just one other possible, but something is definitely not 'right" here at all for what you are now feeling and he owes it to you as his patient to try and figure this out. also knowing just exactly what he did at what levels is also needed. i have to go back and recheck your earlier posts here too hon when i get more time.

but DO get your own copies of ALL MRI results es. i would actually obtain them thru the facility who did them and not wait to try and get them from him yet. its very simple to get them where you had them done thru. show up, sign a release and they will print them all off for you right there. you just do NEED these right now. if certain surgeons did not actually hold things back that are in our actual reports, it would not be quite as NEEDED, but unfortunetly they do. you simply deserve some answers here estella. just do NOT allow this NS to keep blowing you off, or your very profound symptoms either. marcia

Old 04-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I'm not a doctor, but I really don't think severe radiating pain down your arm and a tremor is due to muscle spasm. I have this same problem, without the tremor, and my (now fired) surgeon tried to tell me the same thing. If it was muscle spasm, then a simple muscle relaxer would do the trick, but I suspect it hasn't. Really keep trying to search for answers and don't take an answer that you know cannot be true. If you had an anterior fusion, then you shouldn't really even have that much muscle pain, because that surgery doesn't disrupt the muscles in the back that much. My doctor thought I was exaggerating and being a baby. When I described my recovery to my second surgeon, he told me that it would have been very obvious that something wasn't right and it sounds the same for you.

To answer your question, a flex and extension X-ray can help tell if you're fused, or you can get a CT scan, which will give a 3-D picture of your spine (which is ultimately better than the X-ray). 2 months isn't really enough time to fuse though. I would explore nerve issues, as this seems like the most likely cause. Good luck!!!!

Old 04-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
(female)

estella3 HB User

post op MRI report

Findings: There is no evidence of epidural or any significant degree or formed paravertebral hematoma. The postoperative disk shows a small midline bulge without cord impingement. The other nonoperative levels show chronic degenerative disk disease and small disk bulges, similiar to what was described in the peroperative report. No unusual or unexpected enhancement. The shows intrinsically normal signals and contour

IMPRESSION: Postoperative findings without any specific complication indentifiable.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
(female)

cherylee HB User

Quote:
Hi,

hi there estelle
i have justhad the same op and i have also left arm pain
i also feel worse than before
i am so depressed i dont know what to do
i feel for you and feel like crying
cherylee

Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had some severe nerve irritation after neck surgery and my doc sent me for an epidural steroid injection (just one) to calm that nerve down as it was searing nerve pain. One ESI did the job!

Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 PM   #8
(female)

cherylee HB User

thank you for that info
will check iwth my neuro surgeon
i live in south africa sso i hope we up to date with things here
cherylee

Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
(female)

cherylee HB User

Quote:
Hi,

hi thee
please tell me how you are doing
i have just had a C5/C6 spinal fusion and have such pain in my left arm
and my muscles in my back
i am suffering now from depression
being alone at home is killing me and im usually an active surfer girl
please tell me you are well and all will get better for me

cherylee

Last edited by cherylee; 08-06-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User

Hi estelle, I remember you because we had our surgeries around the same time. I have been diagnosed post surgery with the same things as you dear. So sorry for us both. I cannot stay on here long for now due to pain BUT I plan on coming back and posting some more on your thread about what's been going on with me. i am going to read the rest of your thread now and I will be back online later.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:01 AM   #11
(female)

ces59 HB Userces59 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebell444 View Post
Hi estelle, I remember you because we had our surgeries around the same time. I have been diagnosed post surgery with the same things as you dear. So sorry for us both. I cannot stay on here long for now due to pain BUT I plan on coming back and posting some more on your thread about what's been going on with me. i am going to read the rest of your thread now and I will be back online later.
Me too - had the op in March but arm pain is bad. OK if I don't do anything but using a keyboard is hell. Decided to retire as it is hard to work. I am seeing my surgeon again in two weeks to see what he suggests. I know the op was necessary to deal with the spinal compression but had thought the arm pain would gradually go. No sign yet!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User
Arrow Re: c5 c6 fusion, 2 months post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by ces59 View Post
Me too - had the op in March but arm pain is bad. OK if I don't do anything but using a keyboard is hell. Decided to retire as it is hard to work. I am seeing my surgeon again in two weeks to see what he suggests. I know the op was necessary to deal with the spinal compression but had thought the arm pain would gradually go. No sign yet!

I also remember you ces! I am so sorry about the continued arm pain you have. I have it too hon but thought mine would leave too but no dice Oh now the pain has left from elbow to my hand but has gotten worse from my shoulder to elbow. I go to my surgeon soon too, please let me know what he says. What has he said so far? It's very very depressing because I was thinking to have this surgery and no more pain I should have read more on this but even had i done so I would have went ahead and had it done for same reason you say, the compression and a future accident harming us worse.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #13
(male)

willy856 HB User

My neurosurgeon said that if you wait too long to have the operation, the pain that you currently feel will be permanent. I found so many people that regret having surgery and so many others that have no problems.
One guy I ran into had an emergency fusion from c4-c7 and has absolutely no pain or symptoms. He was driving one day and lost control of his arms and hands. He said the only symptom he had prior to that was the occasional stiff neck.
I have pain that pops up for a few seconds and then goes away. My left foot and ankle will hurt and get stiff. Then my hand will hurt like it has a toothache.
The surgeon says my Lumbar spine looks perfect like I was a 20 year old. My problem is a deformed c spine that was fused from birth. Now at 46 the c5 c7 disks are pressing on my cord. There is no fluid around the cord at this level and the surgeon wants to operate. I want to wait until the symptoms are more serious or constant. My pain level is a 2 when it hurts. My anxiety is at a 10.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
(female)

frostyac HB User

forgive my spelling but have you had a CT Meylogram? I had a compressed spinal cord and had spinal surgery. It helped some but didn't cure me. Now I'm told that I have radiculopathy at C-7. It's nerve related and don't do the nerve block. Only gives temporary relief (2-3) weeks and the risks are dangerous. You could end up worse off. I will help anyone who needs it as I've done extensive research and my cousin is a nurse who interperets the medical mumbo jumbo

Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #15
(female)

frostyac HB User

Feelbad, I am having similar post op issues from my spinal fusion. Only I had the same pain after the fusion only slightly diminished. I had electricity, not tingles, going through my arms for 3 months and I told every doctor I thought I short circuited myself somehow. My surgeon blamed it on smoking. Fact I still have a stitch possibly 2 in my neck he said would heal. My surgeon told me it was all in my head, of course I blew a gasket and verbally attacked him, needless to say he told me there was nothing more he could do for me. And I told him you better hope not. I took myself to another NS and after months of tests, because they all told me it wasn't a nerve issue, it is. Now they want me to do a nerve blocker. Not gonna happen. What about the op you had removing your bones in back. Did they put something else there? Did you have any dizziness? I have dizzy spells if I look up, bend over, or turn my head suddenly. I have had some therapy but makes pain to nerve unbearable. What would you suggest? I have had an MRI pre-op. CT post op at my insistance, CT meylo, and a brain CT all on CDs with the paper reports. And why does every doctor just read the paper reports? You are right they speed you through like an assembly line. I felt like a part of a herd of cattle. And I wasn't given the option on the neck collar. They charged my insurance co. roughly 500 dollars. I found exact same thing for 35 dollars on line. Nice scam, huh. But I'm mouthy from N.Y. and told my surgeon off , took my medical records and left him with a nice letter. Walked out and my cell was ringing off the hook. Of course I didn't answer. Who thought they'd be stupid enough to actually leave a message. Saved them of course. After all is settled and I am back to normal I am going after my surgeon with both barrels. Please if there is anything that you can share with me or somewhere I should be looking for answers I would appreciate it. Thanks, frostyac

Closed Thread