It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

estella3 HB User
2 month post acdf, MRI report

I had an c-5, c-6 acdf 2 months ago, I am wondering why I am having pain on my left and radiating from my left neck, shoulder, bicep, forarm, and the thumb, index finger, and middle finger, feel numb. Not totally numb, but not normal sensation to the fingers. My surgeon assures me that it will pass in time. I am worried, i was not in this type of pain prior to the surgery, Here is my post op MRI

Findings: There is no evidence of epidural or any significant degree or formed paravetebral hematoma. The postoperative disk level shows a small midline bulge without cord impingement. The other nonoperative levels show chronic degenerative disk disease and small disk bulges, similiar to what was described in the preoperative report. No unusual or unexpected enhancement. The cord shows intrinsically normal signals and contour.

IMPRSSION: Postoperative findings without any specific complications identifiable.

Estella

Last edited by estella3; 04-11-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
(female)

whiplashed HB User
Re: 2 month post acdf, MRI report

Hi estella, I am 4 weeks post op and I think you have every right to be concerned. You know your body best...better than your NS. Probably what he is saying is correct and I do know that after surgery your spine will take time to adjust and certainly moves a bit to fit the new graft. Even if he is correct he should be able to prescribe you some sort of medication to ease some of the discomfort while your body heals. Are you taking anything for the pain?

I know every other day I feel something new and I get worried, but I am trying to be patient. I think if your MRI shows no spinal cord encroachment it has to be your nerves healing and I would guess as they heal you will have different sensations.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey es? ONLY becasue this post op MRI is also 'correlating' with the PRE op MRI, and for ALOT of other reasons, do you have that pre op MRI that actually mentioned the findings there that actually 'prompted" the need for this surgery at all? just knowing what THAT report actually stated as true findings that were bad enpough to even require the surgery really would be majorly helpful here for me to actually see as written by that interpretting rad word for word too?

i just cannot help feeling that you just ARE possibly dealing with that very same impingment crap i did post op with the actual hardware even possibly being a big part of the underlying problem here too? this just very much 'does' sound sooo much like possible impingement to me. believe me es, i have been thinking of you and this situation alot and really trying to figure all possible angles here too for you. i KNOW what your feeling and it does suck, espescially when stupid MRIs that also do NOT truely show good solid findings once any hardware has been added to the area are saying everything is just 'ducky' too? i am wondering about them doing a CT which would just showthat hardware in a super clear way compared to the blurr that just occurs with MRI and any type of real hardware being there too?

it just doesn't even appear at all that what YOUR real true symptoms are right now(that ARE actually worse than pre op), that the MRI is truely correlating at all with them right now(or what they may NOT just be even able to really see)? they could actually try and EMG here too to simply really check for actual nerve flow impairment too? if this nerve IS being impinged in any real true way on a consistant basis, it would in almost every case at least show it when using the EMG/NCV to check just that one thing?

i have some stuff to check out here too with true innervation and the c spine nerves again since they only have one nerve on each side/level that contain BOTH the sensory AND fine motor components in a seriously insane way compaired to the rest of the spinal goes with pairs of nerves with ONE motor and one actual sensory that are totally seperate? very different up in the c spine? one thing that i just really DO need to know from you hon is there ANY problems AT ALL with your fine motor functions/dexterity in ANY fingers at all in that hand, and not just within the ones you are actually feeling the numbness in? they innervate like i said, very differently with one nerve not actually having the exact same motor AND sensory functions actually contained in 'it'. there just IS some crossover in that area when it comes to more of the fine motor functions themselves.

if you could tell me that(fine motor impacts) and also track down a copy of that PRE op MRI it would really help alot hon. i totally agree with you that there just is something that is not 'right' here too. esp since your doc told you you still had cervical radiculopathy and IN the very same exact place too?? that part just should have lessened post op, not become worse. do your current symptoms also include ANY new areas that were not there pre op? marcia

Old 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
(female)

estella3 HB User

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My pre op, MRI was as follows
Someone please help,
Im not sure what to do. I have moderate osteophyte formation at the C5-6 level. there is also moderate osteophyte formation at the C6-7 level with mild focal concavity involving the superior endplate of C7. The T1 and T2 vertebral bodies are of adequate height and signal. There is slight reversal of the cervical lordosis centered at the C6 level, without significant anterior subluxation or scoliosis.

IMPRESSION:
Broad based disc osteophyte complex at C5-6 with superimposed mild central to left paracentral disc herniation extending along the superior aspect of the C6 vertebral body. This produces posterior displacement of the cord without frank cord compression. There is mild overall narrowing of the canal and lateral recesses as well as foraminal narrowing, greater on the left that may well encroach on the left C6 nerve. There is no compromise of the C6 nerve in the foramen.

Broad based disc osteophyte at C6-7 with a slight to mild central disc herniation contributing to mild effacement of the thecal sac. The cord is slightly displaced posteriorly but not frankly compressed. There is no significant lateral recess or foraminal narrowing.

The C2-3, C3-4 and C4-5 discs are intact. There is slight disc bulging at
C7-T1 and T1-2 without disc herniation or canal stenosis. No intrinsic cord abnormality. Slight reversal of the cervical lordosis centered at the C6 level. Moderate degenerative change at the C5-6 and C6-7.

I was told by the neurosergeon i did need this surgery due to the cord displacement, and the state of the discs at the c5 c6 level. He thought the c7 had some issues but not in need of fusing there. I dont know, some days are worse than others, i am taking ibuprofen, percocet when needed, i stopped the flexeril but may go back on it again. I don't believe i am having muscle spasms, this feels like strict nerve pain to me.. I am takin neurotin but not getting alot out of that either other than being sleepy alot from it. I will be having an EMG test and a repeat post surg MRI in May, i will let you know what they said. Even my pain management doctor said that the first post op MRI i posted above seemed very "brief". When my pain management doctor looked at the images from that MRI he said that where the nerves enter at the c6 that it is still very narrow, stenosis he said. NOW my neuroserg who did the operation said it was clear, open. So there seems to be 2 different opinions on that. Im hopeing the next MRI goes into more detail. The both doctors did agree that the hardware itself looks fine and is in place. Estella

Last edited by estella3; 04-16-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #5
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

I would like to ask your advice on my current situation. I have had an ACDF on C6/7 in June and then Lumbar Discectomy L5/S1 in August. I work as a social worker for the state. Lots of driving, in and out of peoples homes, waiting in court rooms and typing up reports to name just a few of my job duties. IT is a very stressful job, long hours and no breaks. With that being said. I have never been one to miss work and feel guilty when ever I do. Like I am letting my boss down, my clients/families. So, my Ortho Surgeon asked me how long I wanted off work instead of telling me how long I needed. I told him 4-weeks, which puts me back to work on September 7th, 6-weeks post Opt. I went back to my surgeon on Tuesday 9/21/10 who is not the nices guy but a great surgeon. He would not listen to my concerns and continued to cut me off mid sentance. My concerns right now are that I have Migraine which I never had before, to the point where I vomit and have to turn out all the lights and just stand against the wall sometimes up to 4-hours. I can't lay down, sit down or it gets worse. I have tight muscles in my shoulders, pain in my neck and radiation down left arm and pinky are tingly. I have stabbing pain between shoulderblades that feels like someone stabbed me with an electrical probe and gives me goose bumps all over my body. I still have pain in lower back and legs. Trip a lot and very clumbsy with my hands. Right now I am trying to do stuff, in preps for going back to work, but get so exhausted I have to lie down. I get so sore I have to take a pain pill then Lay down because of that. I am rubbing things, whinning and such. My concern is that if I go back to early I will regret it and blow my benefits I am on right now but if I don't go back I am letting my boss down and will be so bored at home. My question is, what is your experience with going back to work? Timelines? If more time is needed, how do you go about asking for what you need? What is necessary and what is just being a big baby? LOL I have so many thoughts and I am not sure if I am being a wussy and just need to suck it up and do it or if this is normal and I should expect all this pain. On the universalpain scale I am on an 8 with out meds and about a 2-3 with them but I can not work on narcotics either they make me lupe.

Already Tried:
Surgery ACDF on C6/7 and Lumbar discectomy L5/S1 Chiropractic Massage Epidurals MMB Accupuncture Narcotic Pain Medication

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 09-05-2010, 07:16 AM   #6
(female)

bonniebell444 HB User

Hi Sandeesma,

I have no experience in the timeline of going back to work but you do definitely have things going on with you. You said, "I have tight muscles in my shoulders, pain in my neck and radiation down left arm and pinky are tingly. I have stabbing pain between shoulderblades that feels like someone stabbed me with an electrical probe and gives me goose bumps all over my body".

I have that same pain with the exception being that my pain stops at the elbow in the arm. I had surgery early this year in February and still have problems. The surgeon who cut you off in mid sentence reminds me of a lot of stories I have heard. Someone will be along I'm sure who can help you with your questions about returning to work hon, thinking about you.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi Sandie,
You may want to put your own thread up. I believe this is an older thread & you may not get the responses your looking for.

In answer to your question if it were me I would not go back to work so soon. It takes a long time for the body to heal after these surgeries. You have to pay attention to what your bodies telling you & yours is saying not ready yet. Nothing good can come from pushing yourself. Tell your surgeon or doctor how you feel & let them help determine when would be a good time. I can't believe a surgeon asked you instead of telling you. You may have to be firm with this surgeon & say look this is my body, job & future here, I'd really like an anwer & some sound medical advice. I hear so much about surgeons dismissing patients concerns once the surgerys done. Its really low to leave a patient hanging. Really makes me think we should consider rating these surgeons on websites so they don't stiff the next patient.

Your going to let your boss down more if you go back & then end up off work even longer. I felt the same way but you don't want to work knowing your not healed enough. If I could go back I would have done things so much different. I waited the time frame my surgeon gave me but jumped in & did not use caution. I would have not pushed myself to the degree I did.
I don't think we realize just how long it takes to recover from this type of surgery. Even if our surgeons say you can return to work at this time does not mean our bodies are fully recovered.

Listen to your body & take it from there. Its not worth risking. If you push the meds may not bring your pain down to a reasonable level & that would not be worth it.
Good luck & god bless, Sammy

Old 09-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #8
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
Hi Sandie,
You may want to put your own thread up. I believe this is an older thread & you may not get the responses your looking for.

********** I will do this as soo as I can figure out how to ********

In answer to your question if it were me I would not go back to work so soon. It takes a long time for the body to heal after these surgeries. You have to pay attention to what your bodies telling you & yours is saying not ready yet. Nothing good can come from pushing yourself. Tell your surgeon or doctor how you feel & let them help determine when would be a good time. I can't believe a surgeon asked you instead of telling you. You may have to be firm with this surgeon & say look this is my body, job & future here, I'd really like an anwer & some sound medical advice. I hear so much about surgeons dismissing patients concerns once the surgerys done. Its really low to leave a patient hanging. Really makes me think we should consider rating these surgeons on websites so they don't stiff the next patient.

******* I apreciate your advice and will take it to heart. I go back today to see him after my 3rd MRI with contrast for his review. Its easier said than done to be firm with him, he cuts you off mid sentance, and just walks out of the room. I actually brought a friend with me last time along with a written note of concerns hoping this would help me stay focused and in charge. It did not I have never been around some one so controlling and unwillin to hear what you have to say. I tried going another doc and he needs a release from this guy before he will address any of my conerns.******************

Your going to let your boss down more if you go back & then end up off work even longer. I felt the same way but you don't want to work knowing your not healed enough. If I could go back I would have done things so much different. I waited the time frame my surgeon gave me but jumped in & did not use caution. I would have not pushed myself to the degree I did.
I don't think we realize just how long it takes to recover from this type of surgery. Even if our surgeons say you can return to work at this time does not mean our bodies are fully recovered.

******* I agree this is why I am so concerned that he wil send me bac to early. I am at the point of tired of fighting and will go back just to get out of his clasps... I really wish I did more research prior to surgery on my surgeon. He had no complaints prior but now has several for the same type of reaso. I found out that he recently came to AZ from another state and that's why.************

Listen to your body & take it from there. Its not worth risking. If you push the meds may not bring your pain down to a reasonable level & that would not be worth it.
Good luck & god bless, Sammy
********** Thank you very much for your time to read my concerns and respondig. I think this site is great and it does a lot of help emotionally t hear others stories and get feedback from others. Chin Up

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Closed Thread