It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

soapies777 HB User
Thoracic pain anyone else?

I was wondering if anyone else is struggling with thoracic pain? I have hemangioma at T2 which causes me terrible pain all the time. I also have mild disc bulges at T5 T6 T7 which slightly indent thecal sac. Multiple mid-endplate irregularites compatible with schmorl's nodes. Vertebral body height is minimally narrowed anteriorly at T5-T10. Multilevel dengenerative discs and spondylosis. In pain 24/7. Nothing they can do for me due to place it is in spine. Anyone else dealing with This?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Re: Thoracic pain anyone else?

Hey Soapies,

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. Thoracic pain is so horrid - I know because I'm going through a flare up right now. Breathing is painful for me 24/7, is it the same for you? I too have end plate problems due to schmoral nodes - as well as large vascular areas throughout the end plates. All of this is due firstly to having schurmann's disease as a child and then having a terrible car accident a number of years ago. I herniated a number of discs but the ones in my thoracic were at T8/9 and T10/11, both displace the spinal cord somewhat but T8/9 is by far the worst because my T8 nerve on the right side was crushed by the disc.

Neurosurgeon's are great at diagnosing these things but because it's the thoracic, they almost never operate - the outcomes are just too uncontolled and unlike the cervical spine and lumbar, successes range around 20% with about 40% staying the same and the rest made worse by surgery...and that's the best outcome I've heard from a neuro - some are even more negative.

I ended up having to have T8/9 decompressed because I was having serious problems, with nerve pain and issues with cord signal loss. That surgery wasn't really a success, though it did decrease my nerve pain to the point where I was no longer having major flare ups. In October last year I fell down the stairs and recently found out (after too many trips to the ER) that the T8 nerve is recompressed and surgery is now necessary again. I'm very apprehensive at this point. If it wasn't for the fact that the flare ups can cause me to pass out because of not being able to breathe for minutes at a time, I wouldn't even consider it. Also, the increased pain is just about unbearable.

Is there nothing they can do for your thoracic? What sort of pain do you have? Are you seeing a pain management doctor? Sorry about all the questions but unfortunately medication is sometimes the only answer...I know that my life wouldn't be worth living without it. Depending on the type of pain your thoracic is throwing, there are different types of meds...but you may know this already. My op won't cure my general pain so medication will probably always be a part of my life, however, hopefully it will calm these flare ups and breathing problems.

let me know if I can help in any way. I'm sorry for what you're going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

soapies777 HB User

Hi Jema

Thanks for responding. You are right the pain is horrid I also have a very difficult time breathing 24/7. Your problems seem somewhat similar to mine. I also have been in several car accidents. I have been to 4 neurosurgeons the first one wanted to take out tumor but sent my for second opinion and noone will touch it. The only way they will touch the T2 where my tumor is if the tumor breaks the bone and I will know that because I will lose bowel or bladder function. Right now it has the T2 enlarged and is out into something called the pedicle. My worst pain is in T2 area. I think some of the pain is also coming from the discs a little further down too. When you are in terrible pain and can't breathe it is very depressing. I do see a pain management and sometimes get nerve blocks and take Lyrica Oxycontin Oxycodone and Klonipin. The pain is constant and unbearable and the meds hardly touch it and sometimes feels like a knife in my back. I also think the endplate irregularities are causing pain or something and the whole picture together. I am sorry that you are also suffering. If I can help you in any way let me know too.

Last edited by soapies777; 04-14-2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add information

Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
(male)

Monty44 HB User

I haven't posted in a long time but if you click on my name and check out my old posts, you can read about my experiences with thoracic spine surgery. Worst time of my life!

Closed Thread